- advertisement -

Need motivation...

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by Andrea, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Andrea

Andrea New Member

Hello all - I am 24 and was dx'd as T1D about 3 years ago. I was also diagnosed with high cholesterol about a year ago and after doing everything I could with diet (bc I really didn't want to be dependent on MORE medications) I went on Zocor about 7 months ago.

I have been pumping with Medtronic for about 2 years now and have always taken pride in how incredibly controlled my sugars have been. My last 3-4 A1C's have been around 5.4 with very few low rxns. My cholesterol has also fallen to below the recommendations for diabetics (sometimes I hate how we have our own category for that!). Anyway, despite how much pride i've always taken in my tight control, lately i have become very apathetic. I think i've just grown tired of it. I still have been doing well with my sugars - checking often and keeping them in control, but have been choosing very unhealthy, high carb foods and have gained about 15lbs. I have always been very thin and have never had to struggle with my weight, so this is VERY out of character for me. I sometimes feel that due to my good control & how 'easy i make it look' my friends and family don't understand just how difficult/frustrating/overwhelming it is to have such good control.

I find myself getting frustrated with other friends who complain about weight issues or trying to diet/exercise because it would be so much easier w/o insulin, carb, and blood sugar issues to deal with. ok, I'm rambling, but was just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing, and also if anyone has any words of advice for motivating myself to start eating healthy, exercising and losing weight again!! Thanks!

2. Isabelle's Mom

Isabelle's Mom Approved members

Hi Andrea,

Sorry to hear about your struggles. My husband and daughter are both T1 and he struggles like this occasionally. At other times, he eats (pretty) well and runs frequently. He's doing best when he's training for a marathon, but recently he's had tendonitis which has grounded him for a while.

A big motivator for him has been DESA (Diabetes Exercise and Sports Association). Maybe you've heard of it? It's full of great information on control, exercise, and healthy lifestyle. It's members are very motivated individuals, including professional athletes, CDE's, etc. There is a great forum there, too. Maybe surrounding yourself with other motivated people will get you motivated, and give you the inertia to stay that way. The link is below.

Good luck getting back on track!

http://www.diabetes-exercise.org/about.asp

Last edited: Sep 19, 2007
  3. kel4han

kel4han Approved members

Hi Andrea,

I was diagnosed at age 28 just 2 years ago. I struggle with everything you are saying too. It is funny you mention we make it look easy, because alot of my family/friends feel I have it so together without alot of effort, but really sometimes I am carrying a huge load. Anger, frustration with numbers. My last a1c was 6.2, not bad, but you always feel it isnt good enough.

My problem is with gaining weight. Opposite from you, but still the same in a weird way. I have been making poor food choices because I am too tired to care about what I am putting into my body. I am lucky I even eat most days. Becuase I am overwhelmed and tired of doing this everyday to only feel like it isnt good enough. I was doing so well, but I have become burnt out. I dont know what the answer is, I suppose this happens every few years as most Type 1's say. I dont have any advice, or encouragement for you, except that I understand and I think this is a normal part of Diabetes.

4. Chrystaljenna

Chrystaljenna New Member

Same Boat

I'm a 22 yr old female and I have been a type 1 since i was 4 years old. In this time I have had my share of ups and downs. This is why i like to come to this type of chats to be able to reach out to others who know exactly how I feel, what we go through day after day. Its great to have family support, but i felt in the dark at times because none of my family members have diabetes or even friends. Right now i am going through a pretty big low in the care of my diabetes. its hard for us young adults to be able to figure out who we are, its said that in the twenties we are searching for "ourselves" and on top of that take close care of our disease that lets us breath each day. Two years ago i lost 30 Ilbs, found out i had celiac disease so went on a strict diet and then went into depression which made me obessed with the gym 2 hours a day, 6 days a week. Point is be very careful how you chose to lose weight. I had tons of complications. Right now I have gain a lot of weight back, doctor advise but now i am totally out of shape. I think trying to do creative things to slowly ease workout with balance meals.
    For instance i eat one apple a day every day for fiber intake. best vegetable to eat is brocoli and asparagus because they have the best nutrition value where as string beans provide nothing and carrots, peas and corn are high in sugar. Try yoga or pilates, they are fun. Practically you can always lose weight by eating the exact right foods in the right amount without moving a finger. I bought a scale at target to weigh all my food. It seems a over the edge, but for diabetics its harder to lose weight and we have to put more effort on exactly what we are doing. I am a young female and no matter what there is a certain degree of image that bothers me because we are judge in society even if we believe in that or not. I like to do diabetes walks to find motivation from others, read articles on the internet to find diabetics living a fantastic life. But i what i am trying to figure out is seeing the inspiration from myself., not ever thinking i am sick of doing this. if yu ever get the chance and i am sure you have but share what you have accomplish to a stranger, some random at a social party and they will listen to you, how strong you are., it has given my an uplift because they always say "i would not be able to do that". its not sympathy, but admiration.

5. munchkingirl

munchkingirl Approved members

Yep!

Oh yeah, I totally understand the need for motivation. It usually comes for the couple of weeks after my Endo appointments. Then it's gone again. It's not that I don't care, it's just that I totally lack the motivation. And I also know that I don't want to have motivation due to complications arising.

I too have the family and friends that think - Wow, I wish I could be like you! You've got everything under such great control. - ANd it's frustrating because it feels like I can't really tell them when anything is actually wrong. Whether or not I'm struggling with my diabetes, or weight... or whatever it may be. And, I am skinny, so if I ever told people I'm struggling with my weight they just turn it back on themselves...

Yep. I totally understand the problem. I really wish I knew how to fix it other than just "biting the bullet" and doing it.

6. DebK

DebK Approved members

Hi, Andrea

I'm sorry you're going through a burn out. I've been there, too, and I've had T1 for over 41 years! It's a day-to-day challenge and no two days are alike! I try not to let it be the thing I focus on. Yes, I have it, yes, I have to do "special" things, but it's not the ONLY thing. I'm a wife, mom, grandma, sister, aunt, friend, employee, etc. I have a busy, sometimes stressful job, I have seven grandkids whom I adore, I have a wonderful husband----and I have a great relationship with my two kids. Easy? NO! I've been up and down with depression and burn out at various points, but little by little I get back on track. I believe in God's grace and He's picked me up when I've fallen down! I try to find the balance that works for me--and that includes working, eating, insulin, and fun! I spent 41 years taking shots and I've been using a pump for almost 6 months. (I'm very stubborn, can you tell?) I really like it, but the shots didn't really bother me, either. After so many, what's a few hundred more? Your friends and family may say they couldn't do what you're doing, but rather than feeling like they don't understand (which they can't), why don't you think of them as admiring you for what you have to deal with? Give yourself a pat on the back and enjoy your life! You'll do fine. Pick yourself up (and, yes, that can be hard some days) and don't let D be the whole focus of your life. Good luck!
    DebK