advertisement

Need legal direction for 504 violations

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BrendaK, Apr 12, 2018.

1. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

We have had some serious 504 violations at my son’s high school since we moved to Florida. The first major incident landed him in a life threatening and nearly fatal situation that was a direct result of school negligence and a 504 violation. I’d rather not post the details about what happened here, but every attorney I’ve spoken to agrees the district is 100% at fault.

I have an attorney with Disability Rights Florida that I’ve been working with on the 504 compliance side of things and she is filing a due process hearing since the school is still non compliant after a year of working with them.

I am wanting my medical bills from the initial incident paid. Disability Rights Florida does not sue for monetary compensation (only compliance) and directed me to a personal injury lawyer. That attorney says that this is a 504 violation and must be filed in federal court which he doesn’t do. I spoke with a 504 attorney today that says it’s not a 504 federal issue, it’s a personal attorney injury due to negligence. The 504 plan was correctly in place, it just wasn’t followed.

I don’t know who to contact. I’m waiting for a call back from the ADA legal advocacy team. Does anyone here have direction on who I can call?