- advertisement -

Need Help

Discussion in 'Diabetes in Pregnancy' started by punkinhead06, Nov 6, 2005.

1. punkinhead06

punkinhead06 Approved members

I'm not pregnant right now and don't plan on it for a while, but my fiance and I were talking about it and I was wondering what it's like? I'm on the pump and I just can't imagine having to give myself shots or any other injections in my stomach if I'm pregnant. Can anyone tell me what it's like and what to expect?

Thanks,
    Lisa

2. DebEMT

DebEMT Approved members

Hi Lisa,

I was not planning on getting pregnant, but was on the pump and was suddenly surprised to find out that I was 17-1/2 weeks pregnant in January of 1998. :eek: My doctor was VERY HAPPY that I was pumping and had my D under good control. I had no D complications during the pregnancy. I kept using my stomach for the sites up until my son was born (though I only made it to 32-1/2 weeks - due to NON-D related complications. The doctor said if I'd gone much farther, my tummy would have been too hard and I couldn't have gotten the set in.)

Have you ever used your legs for your sites? That would save you from using your tummy.

Things will work. You'd be surprised at how well!

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Deb

3. Sweetkidmom

Sweetkidmom Approved members

I don't know if this helps, but my daughter (12) hardly ever uses her tummy for sets, as she says it hurts to have it there. She puts the sets on her hips, where she has a little fat and there aren't as many nerve endings :)
    Kay

4. punkinhead06

punkinhead06 Approved members

Thanks for all the advice. My diabetes has been in great control, so I'm not really worried about that. And, yes, I've thought a little about putting them in my leg if/when I get pregnant. I'm just afraid of hurting myself or the baby if I kept using it in my stomach when the time comes.

Thanks a lot, Deb, for your advice. You seem to really know what it's like considering you've gone through it.

5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

There is no way that a syringe used for insulin could ever reach a baby inside your body. The insulin is injected under the skin -- it does not go into your body cavity at all.

You can use your legs, arms, and buttocks if you are concerned. My son find stomach shots to be very comfortable.

6. cydnimom

cydnimom Approved members

Hi Lisa,

I don't use the pump, I inject numerous times during the day. I've been T1 for 26 yrs and I have two children - Cody who's almost 3 and Ryan who is 5 and a half (diag. T1-Sept 30/05). I did inject in my stomach, but more on the "love handles" part because the front just got too hard and even then it didn't hurt more but had a tendency to bleed more because of the blood volume while pregnant. I also didn't have a lot to work with in terms of fat there. I did resort to using my hips and butt more, but it got hard to reach around once I got bigger and I used my legs always. I never inject in my arms for some reason - too awkward I guess.

I don't know how you alternate sites. Do you use the same area for a number of changes or do you go to a totally different part of your body each time you change sites? It would seem to me that moving in the same area in the shape of the letter M about an inch apart every 5 or 6 times would allow the area to heal better because you would only get back to that body part every couple of weeks. Just something to think about.

Just remember to use your endo (or doc) before getting pregnant and during pregnancy to have the best outcome possible for all involved.

7. Erin

Erin New Member

I am currently in pre-pregnacy right now. I get to see the endo once a month. I will be given the OK once my A1C is 7.0 or less. (I'm just above 7.0 now) I've been told that the pump should not be a problem but we'll see how things work out.

8. amberngriffinco

amberngriffinco Approved members

I had been pumping 2 yrs when I finally carried my DS to term. I used my abd or my DH does it in my lower arm. No problems. During preg, my worst problem was keeping my B.G. UP.. my A1c dropped to under 5 .. about 4.4.. I was morning/noon/night sick from the first wks to the delivery.. which was 41.1 weeks.. pretty far along! He weighed in at 7.2lbs and, I was 38 years old by then.

amber
    CO