- advertisement -

Need Help!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by munchkingirl, Jan 24, 2006.

1. munchkingirl

munchkingirl Approved members

Hey, Does any one know how long one has after the pump starts beeping at them that the battery is low before it dies? (Specifically the Animas 1250 but any input would be GREAT). Mine has been beeping at me for the last 24 hours, and I won't be able to get new batteries until next week.. So... yeah. Any advice/ info allll of that wouuld be great asap!

Thanks

2. nantomsuethom

nantomsuethom Approved members

Can you put a regular battery in until you can get a lithium?
    I don't think the one you have will last a week. It would be terrible for you to not be able to pump for a week.

3. munchkingirl

yeah, i've thought about that. I really don't want to if I do't have to - but you are right - It WOULD be terrible to not be able to pump for a week. I may have to do that. thanks.

4. Sweetkidmom

Sweetkidmom Approved members

We've tried many different batteries for ours (Minimed Paradigm 712) and they all seem to work. Cheaper batteries don't last as long, but they work until the shops open or you can get a better one. The only snag with this pump is that it won't accept a half-used battery, only a fully charged one. This has had us driving around town one sunday afternoon, after we had had a 'battery low' alarm and had put in what we bought as a fresh battery, only to have the pump reject it as it said it wasn't new! Trying to find a place that was open AND was likely to have fresh stock, with a time limit as the pump refused both old and new batteries.... a bit like The Amazing Race.

A rather hilarious memory, now that I think about it.

5. munchkingirl

Yeah, that is rather comical. My pump will (i think, I've only been on it two months now) accept half used batteries, or that's what I'm told at least. Lithium batteries are what it's "supposed" to use, it lasts about 2 months with those if you don't use the vibrate alarm a lot. Yeah, I think I will be needing to put an alkaline battery in, though, for a short while until the new ones come. Thanks.

6. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

Hi,

Yes Animas states that it's OK to use regular batteries -- they just run out faster. Time to rob your discman!

7. munchkingirl

Heehee, what's funny is - I don't have a discman anymore! My alarm clock... probably NOT a good idea! :) Yeah, we've got some extra batteries lying around though. I'm actually curious as to how long this thing will keep going after yelling low battery at me over and over. I'll find out and let people know. (having a new battery on hand, of course, in case it dies at at bad time :)

8. ctwetten

ctwetten Approved members

In general my family disregards all warnings about the quality of gas, battery, cleaner, etc that things need and the pump was no exception. I didn't even think about it. I have a Minimed 715 and I just use normal batteries. Before I went to college my mom bought me a total of 36 to make sure I wouldn't run out. :) Gotta love moms! ;)
    Anyway, I never run into trouble with my using normal batteries and I even got it to take a half-used one after a bit of fiddling.

9. karpoozi123

karpoozi123 Approved members

I had one really crazy battery story. I was in new york city for the day with my sister and brother. The night before, my pump had begun alarming (from low battery). I forgot all about it the next morning. I had a great day, totally forgetting about the battery. Suddenly, my pump srarted to alarm started to beep continuously, a sign of a VERY low battery. I ran into the nearest store to buy batteries. Being that I was in Rockefellor Center, the nearest store happened to be Brookstone. They were charging something like 6 dollars for a package of 5 batteries. I really needed them, so I bought them. I then went into a public restroom to change the battery. (The pump was in a leg pouch, under my clothes.) That was when the real fun started! The pump, a paradigm 712, which, as mentioned above, only takes completely charged batteries, would not take my 1.20 a piece batteries! I could not get one to work till I tried the 3rd battery! Well, all's well that ends well, I guess! (even if I wound up paying over 3 dollars for one battery....
    I learned my lesson...from then on I have had an extra pump battery in my bag:)

10. munchkingirl

Oh man. That sounds crazy. ...6 bucks for batteries - that's craziness. At least you got one to work. Yeah, stories like that - and fear it would happen to me- are the reason I've got 2-4 batteries (i'm not sure if it's 2 or 4) being sent to me. I've also got a cheep on on hand incase those don't get here on time.

Yeah, my family typically goes with the cheepest batteries too, but there are exceptions. My pump being one of them, as with the more expensive batteries the pump lasts A LOT longer - the cost factor all evens out.

11. munchkingirl

Well, i found out that the animas 1250 - you have approximately 4 days from the time it starts telling you the battery is low until the pump dies to change the battery.