- advertisement -

Need help with what high carb in a small amount to give a sick one year old Type 1 diabetic.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by SJAL, Dec 7, 2015.

1. SJAL

SJAL Approved members

My daughter has a virus and refuses to eat or drink. I have been keeping her in the 80 range by pushing icing in her mouth, but I can't get her to eat enough carbs to maintain a higher blood sugar. Does anyone have any suggestions on something small with a lot of carbs? I can only get her to drink less than 1/2 oz. at a time. She has been chewing food and spitting it out. I've tried everything I can think of and have run out of ideas.

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Popsicles? Soda?
    In the past what we have done is offer soda, ginger ale, 7 up etc. But, I would put it in a shot glass and have her drink some every 10 minutes. This way, she was getting something, giving her stomach a rest at the same time and usually able to keep it down.

3. Sprocket

Sprocket Approved members

a bit of honey melted in a bit of juice? My kids always liked (hot) tea with lots of sugar.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Pushing icing into the mouth of a 1 year old sounds pretty miserable, for both parties. Does she still take a bottle? Have you asked your endo for a sick day plan and is that working? How long she been sick and what sort of virus are we talking here, respiratory? Stomach?

5. Brhodes

Brhodes Approved members

Mini doses of glucagon work pretty well for illness:

Found this online

Note: the recommended dosing for mini glucagon is as follows:
    •ages 2 years and under: 2 units
    •age 2 to 15 years: 1 unit for each year of age (6 units for a 6 year old, etc.)
    •age 15 years and older: 15 units

6. dpr

dpr Approved members

I would have a few concerns.

Like Brhodes said, Mini Glucs. If starts to run low and you cant get any carb in her this is the thing to do. And it has no side effects like the full dose. You can do this right now to bring her up. But if she's I the 80+ range I wouldn't worry too much except at night.

Talk to your doctor about Zofran to keep nausea in check. Sometimes it works for sick kids and sometimes it doesn't. I don't know if you can even use it on a 1 year old but I would definitely ask. Eventually your going to end up in the ER if you can't get fluids in her. And you don't necessarily want an ER doc dictating diabetic treatment. Some don't know anything about T1, especially in a very young child.

We have a snow cone ice shaver. Gatorade and Pediasure slushes work for my daughter. When they don't want to drink give them anything that will get fluid in them within reason. Italian soda syrup and shaved ice etc.

With a 1 year old diabetic if you have to go to the ER for fluids call your endo first or on the way there so they can be ready to advise the ER doc.

If she uses a long acting insulin back it down 30%-50%, if pumping 50%-70% temp basal.

Good luck I hope she gets over it fast

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  7. SJAL

SJAL Approved members

It is most definitely miserable for both of us! She does still take the bottle. I've been trying to get her only on a sippy cup but she has been refusing it since she's been sick. She's been sick since Saturday night with a stomach bug. I haven't asked about a sick day plan but I will today. Thank you so much!

8. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Is it her throat that is sore if she just doesn't want to swallow ? What about just sucking a lollipop or ice block ? My little girls favourite thing when she was small was mashed potato with some gravy which is actually pretty high GI.. and easy to swallow..

9. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

I second mini glucagon doses but be aware that they can empty her liver of its stored glucose. If you've used it twice you should go to the ER lest you really need it and she have no stored glucose left. I remember my then 2yo lying on the floor refusing to ingest more juice. That was our first but not our last mini gluc experience. I also second really reducing insulin doses for a while-- she may absorb carbs badly for a couple of weeks and her body may need to replenish its stores too.

10. SJAL

SJAL Approved members

Thank you! I'm new to this as she was diagnosed less than a month ago. I didn't know you could give mini glucs. The snow cone ice shaver is a great idea! She finally took some formula and sprite this morning so I'm hoping the mini glucs won't be necessary this time. I've been really hoping to avoid an ER visit.

11. forHisglory

forHisglory Approved members

Sounds awful! What about the icing gel? A little at a time? It's packed with carbs.

12. Dad_in_Canada

Dad_in_Canada Approved members

The Dex4 LiquiBlast is packed with fast-acting dextrose (very fast acting carbs), 15g carbs in 2 oz of liquid. It's the same stuff as tabs, but in a liquid format. It works super fast.

http://www.dex4.ca/products/berry-burst-glucose-liquiblast.asp

You can find it usually where you can buys tabs (grocery stores, pharmacies, etc). But it's a bit expensive. A lower cost option is to buy "corn sugar" at bulk food places....it's also dextrose....and mix with water. 1 gram of corn sugar = 1 g of carbs. You can mix it with something else, or flavour it with those water flavour things (eg. Crystal Light, etc).

13. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

At that age dry rice cereal and grape jelly or syrup worked best. The frozen fruit juice concentrate straight from the can also very carby.