- advertisement -

NEED HELP QUICKLY - meeting school in a few hours

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Ivan's Mum, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Ivan's Mum

Ivan's Mum Approved members

Has anyone got some good information on hypo unawareness.

I am meeting with Ivan's school as I have unsucessfully asked that he be moved class to a teacher that knows him better who will hopefully notice his lows sooner.

School is adiment that the teacher is good (her dad T1 but only as an adult) and the teacher I want has known him for years, taken him on trips, had sleep overs with a kid on a pump, the list goes on.

The school is dragging their heals, I think they're putting it down to behaviour and that he's naughty so wants to move (he's hated all his teachers, this one is no different, but I will confess this one stresses him out more than the others because she's a yeller).

He's been 1.2 and thought he was in the 3's and even with his special seat (due to being naughty) and the front of the class she hasn't spotted his 2.2's etc. My arguement is that it's smart practice to put him with a teacher that best knows him and the little bits of knowledge about him, could make a huge deal.

I am so angry right now that I am shaking so anyone with anything good on hypo unawareness please send a link.

Remember this is New Zealand so we don't have half the laws in place that you guys to in the states. I'm off to phone his endo's now to see if I can get them on board.

Cheers:mad:

2. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

3. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I don't have any links but wanted to wish you good luck. I think having him with a teacher that is more aware is a good thing. Have they ever connected him being 'naughty' to lows? Is he really being naughty or is it being seen as that because they don't understand what bg's do to kids behavior?

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

5. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

Stick to your guns or they will try to make you accomodate rather than make accomodations for you!

6. Trev

Trev Approved members

7. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

How did it go??

8. Ivan's Mum

Well they never agreed to the meeting, just sent me another email saying that they would continue to monitor him well, and that the 'percieved' lack of awareness would be watched. That he would remain in the class he's in as the other class is 'unsuitable' for him. No reasons as to why, although he admitted the teachers prior knowledge of him, too bad, he's staying put.

I phoned the endo's and they're writing me a letter confirming that he's hypo unaware, that it's quite common etc. They were really surprised by the schools response. They suggested that the teachers come in for some training but my arguement was that I don't have the time to sit around waiting for her to upskill, when there is someone here now, that has a better knowledge of him and T1 kids.

The principals PA got all snippy with me, naturally she feels we're saying they're not trying and as the person that looks after him, is taking it personally. SHe is also the person telling the principal he deals well with his lows. I was cross to discover she had the whole peeved conversation with me while Ivan was in the room:eek:

I did say to her that in essence the school was telling me that they better knew how to manage my childs illness than I did and she said yes, that's what we're telling you. I made a few noises about how I'd be asking some pretty heavy questions if something happened to him and then realised, I shouldn't even be having the conversation with her in the first place.

It seems we're all talking at cross points, the school about his behaviour, me about his diabetes. Soooooo long story short, I'm getting the endo letter, asking again to have him moved, will take it further up the food chain because in essence, if they don't move him with a letter from the endo, they're making a call over a doctor.

It's all a complete mess, they've always been so great and supportive of him, (well, the principal and office staff even if the teachers were a little off mark) so I am really struggling to see what's going on and why this is so difficult.

I do wonder if the teacher is making out that she can cope big time. Oh and did I mention there is another high health needs kid in the class as well. Completely different issues, but I wonder what she have to prove by making out she's so compitent. She's so obviously not and there's no shame in admitting that you're not an expert at something, especially when it involves someone's life.

Van is at camp this week and I hope that I can sort it all out before he's back at school next week.

Sorry to rant.....:mad:

9. wilf

wilf Approved members

Of course he's hypo unaware, most kids that age are..

I'm not sure how a teacher is supposed to be able to monitor blood sugars by watching your son. The way to tell how he's doing is through regular testing of blood sugar levels at key times based on a predictable schedule including appropriate bolusing for known numbers of carbs and compensating for exercise. If need be he should be tested at the start of every class.

10. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Do you think they could come to a compromise? Such as, you leave him with this teacher now, but prepare detailed testing times (with a follow-up call to you) and give out a list of hypo and hyper signs so they can have it in class (BD used to have a list with drawings, but I can't find it anymore).

Then, ask them to give it a couple of months to see how it goes, with the promise to change to the other teacher if things don't go as well as expected.

I know you trust the other teacher and this current one has not stepped up to your expectations, but I feel that with a very detailed testing plan (even as Wilf suggested, testing at the beginning of every class (though your child may find that totally annoying after a while!)) may help ease your fears and give the school some idea of how vigilant you have to be.

I hope you find a good solution without having to fight a nasty fight with the school.

Best of luck!

PS - if they complain a call takes too much time, it doesn't. Testing takes a few seconds, a call another few seconds. All worth it to keep your child safe and both parties at ease.

11. Ivan's Mum

Hi guys, Ivan is very obvious from looking at if he's having a low. I've given the teacher a sheet of information regards signs and symptoms. She still can't spot it. Other teachers can by behaviour etc. Her lack of experience with Ivan is what is the problem and I feel a teacher more familar with him will have more of a shot at guessing when it's not a testing time.

He has scheduled times to test and bolus, but goes up to test before meals and he's low and quite possibly has been low for at least an hour. I've done all basal testing and he's fine, carb counting is right, this is purely activity based because he's so busy. One had perfect, next day low low low.

I see the endo tomorrow morning and will be leaving clutching a letter which i'll send on to the principal and follow up with the Board of Trustees. Hubby has returned from School camp and said the attitute to the teacher from all the class parents is not good so I get the feeling that this has become, "lets not open a flood gate if we move one we need to move everyone".

Not everyone has a health issue like this and I currently don't give two hoots about the other children and their parents being unhappy. I need him moved before something dangerous happens. It's very obvious she's not up with it, there's no shame in that, I just don't want her on my kids shift (so to speak).

I am really struggling with a lack of support from the school. This is very unusual for them and I think there might be greater things at play here.

12. Ivan's Mum

Hi Everyone, just an update. Meetings at school have been a disaster. I'm lawyering up. I've moved to to a middle ground of if not the teacher teacher I want, one that is in the class 5 days a week (as opposed to 2/3 days with 2 days done by a reliever) and the school won't budge. Something really weird is going on. I work in a school, have a parent who was a school principal up until 2 years ago and everyone in the education field that I have spoken with is shaking their head and saying 'what, it's not an unreasonable request given the circumstances' .

The even wrote a care plan without including me.

One of the school staff said to me that it will come to a battle of wills because the principal NEVER backs down.

Great. He's obviously never really encountered the will of parents of CWD. What a mess.

13. wilf

wilf Approved members

For what it's worth I wouldn't be going this route. It can not be a teacher's job to "spot" a child's lows. That is the job of a properly designed regimen of BG testing.

14. Ivan's Mum

thanks for your imput wilf but you don't have the full knowledge of the situation and how these things work in NZ schools. This is my only route, we don't have school nurses, we are on our own and my son wears his diabetes on his face. It's not hard to see where he's at and the teacher is sticking her hand up as being an 'expert' when she is obviously not. I want someone consistant so that they know what happened the day before, and how this affects the current day. I want better knowledge of my son and that can only be gained by spending time with him. She will not upskill in 3 days a week with another teacher taking the other 2. Consistancy will give everyone a better chance at helping Ivan and understanding him. This is a case of a little knowledge being a bad thing. She's prepared to administer glucagon, good god, it should never get to point where she should.

It's a no brainer, 3 days a week with Van isn't going to be enough to upskill yourself on a child and when the situation is at the point it is with his insulin absorbtion, there isn't the time to ***** foot around with it. I can't have someone who hits the ground running on him, I need someone who is around. Consistantly.

15. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Not sure where the rest of my original post went so I'm editing to add that it IS the teachers job to spot a child's low. Thats how they are part of the team of caregivers, it should never be just one person's job, at school ALL teachers should be aware of lows, that doesn't mean she has to be glued to him, but she should know when behavior is off that something isn't right.

To the OP.. I know you aren't in the US, but writing a careplan without parental imput is absolutely ridiculous. This school is being way to sneaky, and I'd be doing the same as you are. Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  16. wilf

wilf Approved members

I just don't see how you can win this one. But good luck.

17. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Will the school apply to GSE for a teacher aide? Rachel has TA hours because she is in a sole charge school but we have to reapply for Term 3 and 4 and its NOT looking hopeful..

18. Ivan's Mum

Ivan is horrified by the thought of a teacher aide. From experience in a large school it can turn them in to a social lepar. Boys in particular can be so cruel when it comes to other boys having a TA.

Sorry, getting in to Kiwi talk that the NZ folks will understand.

We're writing our formal complaint to the BOT and talking with a lawyer. From the (and lets face it with parents in the education field) knowledge we have of how the school should have dealt with this, the whole thing has not met either the MOE crieteria on how to deal with it or the schools own charter so I am hoping to have him moved by the end of the week.

The BOT chair is hard to read but the principal decided not to turn up to a meeting that chair had set up, (a little like not turning up to a meeting your boss asks you to go to!) refused to return phone calls and left us all - BOT chair included, standing in the school carpark.

The way the principal is handling the whole thing is all rather odd. Scott and I are left feeling that this is something that is being done to us, rather than something that is being done with us.

Jane oh Jane, this is my little boy and I won't let any play god with his life. Not one family here would. Any trips to Hamilton these hols?:p

19. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Hamilton ? UM NO!
    Rachel and I are going to AUSTRALIA! :D (Dad is taking the last 2 grandkids and I just have to go because of the D! ;))

Wishing you luck with the School and Principal.. as you know the BOT has to stand behind their Principal 100% - they are the employers and while its their job to 'govern' the school, they actually have no say whatsoever and if they don't support their Principal, NZEI will jump on them..

20. Ivan's Mum

totally wrong! The BOt can disagree with a principal and over rule him. Our one has on national standards. I used to work in claims management for a lot of NZ school and the BOT often goes against the principal. But only the ones with large kahunahs. Dad used to work at the Minstry for a while dealing with board fall outs.

Waiting on the BOT verdict from last night. Don't know which way it will go but when we sat at the meeting, explained our case and then asked the principal to tell us what we'd been asking for, he couldn't and the chairman had to rescue him. Which goes with what I've said the whole time, he decided way back not to move him and then stopped listening. At this point nothing will surprise me any more.

Let me know when you're in hamilton and if it's for a wee while before Oz I'll pop down to a visit.