- advertisement -

Need help ASAP - son did not fully plunge Novolog pen

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jake'sMama, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Jake'sMama

Jake'sMama Approved members

I didn't notice until he did nighttime check and got a BG of 514.

I went to give him correction, turned it for air shot and realized it shouldn't keep going like it was. I don't know how much insulin he gave himself. We're really working on getting him to give himself at least one shot a day. He forgot to look to see if it went to zero.

I gave him 3 units - which in theory should bring him down 300 pts. In 45 mins he is at 489. I just gave him one more unit to cover the milk he was begging for.

When can we expect him to start coming down?

Believe it or not this is the first time we've messed up dinner insulin. We're afraid he'll go low tonight. Or stay high and wet the bed...

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

in my experience it takes patience to deal with a high like that. You just can't rush things. That said, it may take a second correction, maybe 4 hrs after the first, to get that high down. Pretty much any time that food gets ahead of insulin, it seems that the correction needs to be considerably more than normal.

Good luck!

3. Jake'sMama

Thanks Sarah. I knew this had Long Night written all over it.:p

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

It happens to all of us :cwds: Hope you can get some sleep, but don't make yourself crazy to get him down asap, that almost always comes back to bite you in the tush :rolleyes: Good luck!

5. Jake'sMama

It is not true that life is one d@mn thing after another. It is one d@mn thing over and over.
    Edna St. Vincent Millay

6. Jake'sMama

he was 164 at 1am. hopefully a good number when he wakes.

7. pancake111

pancake111 Approved members

When this happens, just give insulin to help bring it down, and keep checking regularly. It's nothing to freak out about.