- advertisement -

Need good thoughts for son

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by MamaLibby, Apr 6, 2012.

1. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

My six year old Nicholas has his first appointment with a psychiatrist next Thursday, to address some behavioral concerns and under go evaluation for a possible mood disorder. He has already been diagnosed with ADHD, PTSD, and SPD (Sensory Processing Disorder). He's un-medicated because ADHD meds made him grumpy and aggressive, but he's had weekly Occupational Therapy for about 10 months and we've recently (2 months ago) added Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

He's come a LONG way in the year and half since he's been home, but he's still dealing with some major behavioral and mood symptoms including explosive tantrums, fighting, crying, rapid mood swings (I'll hear him yelling at his brother or crying uncontrollably and by time I get into the room to figure out what's going on he's running around hyperactive) and severe separation anxiety. The biggest issues are at night with nightmares, night terrors, insomnia (3-4 hours of broken sleep then he's done!) and bedwetting.

There may or may not be another issue behind this...His PTSD (from being bounced like crazy and abused in the foster care system) may be to blame. Either way, this evaluation will reveal new issues (mood disorders like bipolar or conduct disorder) and/or help us deal with the problems we know he does have.

My family is under so much stress right now. The sleeplessness and tantrums are hard on all of us and it's getting difficult for my other kids to understand and to play with him. My heart breaks for my sweet boy. He's already been through so much and I really hope with everything in me that this can be a step in his recovery.

The appointment Thursday will be an all-day event, and my husband is coming with me. The other 5 will be under the care of a friend of mine and her 15 year old daughter. Please send all your prayers, good thoughts, positive vibes, whatever it is you do that the kids and diabetes and asthma behave. That the little ones will take well to the babysitters and aren't too upset by my all-day absence. That Nick can hang on during the testing. And probably most importantly that we get some ANSWERS.

Thank you all so much.

Love

2. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Bless you...bless him...good luck.:cwds:

3. sooz

sooz Approved members

So much for one little guy to deal with. And one mama too. My heartfelt wish is that you find the help and the answers you are seeking. Let us know how it goes.

4. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Keeping positive thoughts for your family.

5. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

You are amaizing. and no I don't care about any mis-spellings.

I hope that You will find a program that your child can be helped with and find a common ground to work from.

you are doing so much,!

6. MamaLibby

Thank you everyone!

7. Ali

Ali Approved members

All good thoughts coming your way. As a side note, all day testing for anyone is really difficult. Any type of testing. Both adults and kids have trouble with this. If he does really end up falling apart during the testing that will give them some valuable insight, so it can be very helpful. Also, they may learn they just need to use multiple testing days of under two hours each. More work for everyone but often done when testing children. Hope you get some more answers. Ali

8. MamaLibby

That's a good point and something I thought about too. The all day aspect includes a 3 hour round trip plus stopping, but I'm really not sure how long we'll be in tests or what kind of things to expect.

9. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Is there any sandplay and/or play therapy counseling available in your area? It can be absolutely wonderful if you have skilled counselors.

10. MamaLibby

Appointment went GREAT! He acted like his moody, whiny, unstable self and the doctor definitively saw some of the cues/symptoms I was talking about. He's asleep now, the long day wore him out. But I got a really good vibe from this doctor...He was kind, thorough and professional. We did blood work, an EKG, and an MRI in addition to just some talk/observation. I'm still nervous, but excited now too...I think this is the next step towards healing.

And Ellen, I'm not familiar with sandplay, but this is a ped psychiatrist so the majority of the therapy will be child-oriented and play based.

11. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Just posted this on another thread...but it made me think so much of you...wanted to post it here for you as well...

A Dream
    By: Andrea Peebles
    I had a dream the other night it came to me so clear.
    I stood before the throne of God afraid to come too near.
    God said to me ?I hear your prayers, there are answers you can?t find,
    I asked you here to talk to me to help you ease your mind.?
    I said ?Well yes God, I?m disturbed about my special one,
    that punishment is awfully harsh whatever have I done??
    God looked at me and shook his head and said ?you?ve got it wrong.
    I sent that special child to you because you are so strong.
    I searched and searched to try to find someone with love so rare,
    a mother so unselfish she could give that special care.
    Of all the ones to choose from, I think this I have done.
    A mother who deserved my best, an honor you have won.?

Hope you are finding the answers and seeing progress...:cwds:

12. MamaLibby

thank you so much for sharing this!! :) this is excatly what I needed to hear, since we just got home from our 2nd appt and it looks like we're facing a dx of a mood disorder. Right now it's just classified as mood disorder NOS, but will probably eventually be changed to bipolar after more observation/mood charting. He wants him on melatonin for sleep, and lithium to stabilize his moods...we're supposed to continue with play therapy and OT and see what the addition of the medications has done and see the pdoc again in 2 weeks. -sigh- so...yes, we are getting somewhere and while they might not be the answers we want we have answers.

13. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

BIG HUGS ton your whole family!! I am so glad you have answers. Like you said, they may not be whatbyou wanted to hear but, they allow you to move forward and to have better options of how to work with him!

14. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Hope those answers lead to working solutions and better days ahead!:cwds:

15. Pooh's Mom

Pooh's Mom Approved members

She is finally getting too. She has told my husband twice today that she needed to eat and he needed to "check her finger". And she is only two. She is also getting that the injections are to help her too. She quit fighting us and is actually making it fun by choosing where in the house she wants to be for it.:) I think that she is making it easier for everyone else to get at 2. Kids are so smart.