advertisement

Need an omnipod in Tampa Today

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jason Flassing, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Jason Flassing

Jason Flassing New Member

Good morning! We are visiting Tampa from SC and have had the perfect storm of pod malfunctions and insulin getting too hot. We have a backup but my 10 year old son (Jacob) would really like to try and find a pod locally. Is there anyone in Tampa/St. Pete Area that might have an extra pod or two…we would be happy to pay : ) Thanks if you can! Jason Flassing: 540-808-9284. jflassing@gmail.com

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

So you have a back up but you don't want to use it? Your 10 year old would rather get one from a stranger? Hmmm?

Anyway, this is a good reminder for all of us to always bring MULTIPLE back up supplies of everything when you are traveling. Yes, it is a hassle but it is well worth it when you need them. Been there, done that.

Good Luck

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  3. Jason Flassing

That is a condescending remark. Your lack of empathy reminds me of why I left Facebook years back. I am grateful for the kindness of the Dori...certainly wouldn't want a pod from you.

4. Christopher

Sorry you are choosing to feel that way Jason, my remark was not meant to be condescending at all. It just seemed like an odd situation and I was trying to understand the reasoning behind not using a back up pod that you had brought with you for that express purpose. I also wished you good luck, which I thought was a nice thing to do. It sounds like you did get a pod so I guess all is well that ends well.

If you doubt my empathy for people on this site, please feel free to reference the 6,752 comments that I have made on this site over the past 11 years. You will find that I am only a jerk in a handful of them. Not too shabby of a track record, if I do say so myself. :cool:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    rgcainmd likes this.
  5. Jason Flassing

We used all our pods (packed four for four days of vacation; we had two failures (unknown why; just said pod failure with loud beeping) and two seemed to not work due to insulin not working). Our back up plan was injections (with different insulin which we also brought) and my ten year old son was kind of against that. He did a few injections and we would have survived but figured I'd throw out a request for help. It was not the greatest of situations dealing with four pod failures in two days and insulin efficacy issues and I felt (or chose to feel) that you were judging me for not being prepared. We were well prepared bringing a pod for each day and extra Novolog pens. It all worked out and we had a heck of a lot of fun. Thanks for you follow up email.

6. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

When traveling, I always double what I think we’ll actually need, then add a few more for good measure.

Christopher likes this.
  7. Ali

Ali Approved members

The other thing you can try if out of any type of supplies. First call the pharmacy and they can often express mail you your supplies. Or call the manufacturer directly and if they have a prescription on file from you or can get one from your Dr then they can express mail supplies out to you overnight. Finally your Drs office often has supplies on hand and might be able to express mail you some.

Christopher likes this.
  8. Christopher

I absolutely was not judging you for being unprepared. Sorry you felt I was. Now that you described in more detail the situation it actually sounds like you were very well prepared but ran into a "perfect storm" of failures and things going wrong. I've been there more times than I would like to and it sucks!!
    Very frustrating. I love the Omnipod but hate when a Pod fails. But I'm glad you got through it and things worked out.
    I guess that's the take away. No matter how bad things get, they always work out somehow.

9. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

I am late to the thread, but totally understand the "perfect storm." Been trying to gently impart on my daughter the wisdom of being overly prepared now that she is living in another state for college. So far so good, but they just think they are invincible!

Also a good reminder to keep your network of diabetics together! At college, my daughter works in the dining hall & has met a few diabetics in passing...they see her pump or she sees them testing & gives them a thumbs up kind of thing. I told her she should network with them in case of emergency...you never know when insurance snafu or prescription issue will come up & you might need their help/or you could help them. I know I have helped other moms of diabetic children in my circle over the years, in addition to family members with type 1 with insulin, strips or pump supplies. I have benefited from them as well, with emergency pump backups, etc.