- advertisement -

Need advice/suggestions

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by coconne3, Mar 7, 2010.

1. coconne3

coconne3 Approved members

The other night we had wheat pasta for dinner. DD BS was good before dinner. We prebolused partial and then when she ate we bolused again for the balance. I increased temp basal x2hr to 130%. Before we went to bed she was 152. I was excited but knew she would "spike" in the early morning and she did. Dual wave doesn't seem to work for us (I've tried different % and lengths of time). Does anyone have any other suggestions to combat this spike 6-8hr after a meal?

2. Toni

Toni Banned

If you know she will stay high the whole time, I would leave the increased basal on for four to six hours. But if she is 152, then she spikes six to eight hours later? Personally do not use combo bolus past a two hour period. Will just correct after that. I would avoid that type of pasta if possible. We use Quinoa pasta so we don't have to deal with the pasta spike. She eats pasta too often. A six to eight hour spike, maybe we have dealt with it and I just haven't recongnized it as a spike related to food, but it is a long time period and I would find it difficult to predict.

3. Yellow Tulip

Yellow Tulip Approved members

Where can you buy Quinoa pasta?

4. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

We've never had a 6-8 hour spike with pasta. Sometimes I have a hard time deciding whether a rise like that at night is due to the food or hormones. With other predictable spikes, I just check an hour or so before I know it's coming and run another temp basal.

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

What we do is to bolus for 50% "up front" and 50% extended out for 5 hours. We also wait an hour after eating to start the extended dose. It sounds to me like you have the "up front" amount close to right, but just need to increase the extended portion and the amount of time you extend the dose. We don't do it with a basal increase, but for us, a 130% basal increase would be WAY too little - at a 0.50 basal, you're only giving an extra 0.15 per hour. We base it on the number of carbs, but depending on the size of his portion, he usually ends up with an extra 0.50-0.60 units per hour for those 5 hours.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We've had good luck with Barilla Plus pasta. It contains...

Barilla Plus Pasta Ingredients
    Semolina, Grain and Legume Flour Blend (Lentils, Chickpeas, Egg Whites, Spelt, Barley, Flaxseed, Oat Fiber, Oats), Durum Flour, Niacin, Iron (Ferrous Sulfate), Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid. Contains Wheat and Egg ingredients.

http://www.barillaus.com/home/pages/Barilla_Plus.aspx

We don't see a nasty spike and moreover everyone really likes the taste and I can buy in in the regular supermarket. :cwds:

7. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

You could also try Dreamfields pasta. I have used it with varying degrees of success.

8. CJ's Mom

CJ's Mom Approved members

We love Barilla pasta! I don't bother with spaghetti anymore. Usually use bowtie, rigatoni, or other chunky pasta. This will sound nuts but I weigh the dry pasta and count how many pieces equal a serving. After the pasta is cooked I count out CJ's serving. Works beautifully every time. He doses for the full meal 100% before he eats and rarely has a problem.

9. Toni

Toni Banned

I'm sure there are other pastas that are good and other ways of bolusing that work. Quinoa pasta in the turquoise box is the one we use. You can get it at a lot of health food stores or from Quinoacorp online. They do charge a hefty shipping price so we hunted around for a store that carried it. There is Quinoa pasta mixed with other grains that does not react as this one does, which is mixed with corn pasta. It is gluten free as well. Caution that we measure out 80 grams of pasta (4 ounces) and only charge 60 grams for that portion. In addition the spagetti sauce is free (and that is truly about 10 grams). We test 1.5 hours after as she digests it so well and even then we may have to feed the insulin. She eats a lot of pasta and she likes a two cup serving. Coincidentally for baked ziti or lasagna, we use regular pasta and she does not spike with those (could it be the ricotta)? Use a 1.5 hour combo bolus, 60/40.

10. wilf

wilf Approved members

For those on MDI, a triple-insulin bolus of 1/3 Novolog or humalog, 1/3 Regular, and 1/3 NPH handles this sort of delayed spike beautifully.. :cwds: