- advertisement -

Need advice on Nefu

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by 4.my.son, Oct 14, 2008.

1. 4.my.son

4.my.son Approved members

He is not even going to a pediatrician is their family doctor. . He is a result of the gastric by pass.... I could write a book on the total picture . its long, pathetic, and disturbing. ,, the fathers mother died and he wanted a baby to replace her and his little brother who died 25 years ago he was named after him and they tried to have the c section planned for the day the fathers mother died . I went behind their backs a little because I am friends with docs wife and begged him to choose another day because I know when drunkin woes came around it would not be a happy birthday it would always be the day grandma died. .. and he did the c sec 2 weeks later. yeah. Oh theres alot more .. I swear my husband is adopted. he is so oppisite of his family. chapter 1 ...lol

2. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

For the safety and well being of the child I would call CPS verses having family issues because I said something to them.
    You would not be telling them anything they don't already know, they just don't do anything about it. :(

Very sad, and just my opinions.

3. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Lanae: I definitely agree. I think there are so many family issues and the health of this child is at risk. It is abuse of the child as much as eating him would be.

4. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

yeah, I'm usually the last person to suggest involving CPS but I say this might be the time to do it. The child is going to have a heart attack at the age of 5.

Perhaps if you do involve CPS and they do remove the child you might be the perfect caring relative to take him, rather than just put him into the system. At least he would stay with the family and you could make sure that he's healthy, since I can tell you do care so much for him.

5. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

I agree. Involving CPS may be what it takes for them to realize how serious this issue is.

6. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

I was just speaking with my husband about this and his exact words were, "that's child abuse." Personally I think overfeeding a child to this extent is not a whole lot worse than starving him. Look at the lifetime of health problems this child is set up to face if this is not resolved quickly ... he already can't walk more than 10 ft without having to rest! I hate to be one to run to CPS over stuff like this, but if you do not think the parents will take this seriously, then something should be done to protect this child. It is called child protective services for a reason.

7. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

102 pounds :eek: I am 19 and weigh about 105 at 5 foot 4. I have to agree with others, this is child abuse. I have heard of children in the UK being removed from families because they were morbidly obese not due to any medical condition.

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I would call social services and express your concerns about the entire household and living enviorment. There definitely are many, many issues with this family. I would let them know that he will be seeing a doctor and that doctors name and when the appointment is.

I think it's really too late for a family intervention, otherwise if they were really concerned they would have stepped in by now.

9. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Ok, there are far too many issues going on. Outside intervention is needed.

10. 4.my.son

I know I just need to talk to the right people.people with some common sense about them. Thank you all for input. there is a normal child in that boy and he wants to make an appearance and I am gonna be the one who gets him there. I just can not live with myself if I don't do something to show him someone loves him enough to help him.

11. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

I think your doing the right thing:eek:

Good luck, and please let us know.

12. muddymessalonskee

muddymessalonskee Approved members

This kid needs to see a doctor. I can't imagine that it is a simple case of "overeating". I couldn't be that grossly overweight if I tried, and most other "normal" people couldn't either.

I have a friend with an endocrine disorder who weighed 240 at 12, 400 at 16, over 500 as an adult. He was always ravenously hungry. I suspect that something similar is happening with this child. It doesn't sound like the parents are capable of dealing with the situation either. Too bad...

Deborah

13. 4.my.son

I have thought about if something went on because she had had that surgery and it was not long after she had it she got pregnant. tech she should not have gotton pregnant so soon after. body was still going through the process of surgery and drastic weight loss. something is not right but it would be easier to change now rather then later.

14. Kaileen

Kaileen Approved members

His mom had gastric bypass? Could she be thinking, "Oh, no problem: he can just have the surgery later if he needs it?" It's not the easy way out, and it doesn't always happen.

That whole thing is sad. He weighs slighly less than our 10 year old son. There are so many health problems that await him if he keeps down that road: heart trouble, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure: the list is endless. I agree on outside intervention. It's apparent that there are a lot of problems in this family, and they will at the very least need some kind of psychotherapy to help. And the dad calling him "fat boy?" And the mom letting him? I would be livid af anyone did that to our children!

God bless, and good luck to all. We'll be in prayer.

15. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I hope you get some help for this little boy.. its beyond what you or anyone else in the family can do/help.. If he's getting up at 1am to eat and she's letting him, that is way out of control.. he's use to eating, he'll continue to do it.. he's 3, its not his responsibility to tell himself no, its his parents job and they are failing the poor kid miserably.. he needs someone to tell him no and send him back to bed.. he IS going to get to the point that he can't even walk the 10 feet.. he needs help now, obviously something the parents aren't willing to do.. I agree, call CPS.. you can do it anonymously.. they won't let them know how called.. heck if you think your DH is going to get mad or angry about it, don't tell him either.. just do it..