- advertisement -

Need Advice on Dexcom G4 (Pediatric Version)

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by Tiera, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Tiera

Tiera New Member

Hi, is their any that uses the dexcom g4 pediatric version have had a good experience with it. I am looking into getting a cgm for my 3 year old son after he starts on the insulin pump. I have the Medtronic 530g cgm but it is not approved in children. I am a 22 year old single mom and my son has had some bad night time lows which has me constantly checking his bg at night and constantly worrying also. Does any have personal experience's with the pediatric version of the dexcom g4 on their child? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Mish

Mish Approved members

the pedi version of the g4 is essentially the same as the regular version of the G4. Many of our kids have been using the regular version, regardless that it wasn't approved for children (just as many use the MM CGM), so if you just search the forums you'll find hundreds of posts on the topic.

Most people seem to be ridiculously happy with it.

3. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

I'm one of the ridiculously happy people :) Mine started on the G4 before it was approved for pediatric use. I love, love, love the G4.

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

The pediatric version of the G4 is the same as the regular version, with a couple of additional "warning" screens that I think essentially tell you not to bolus off of sensor readings. You're not going to find many people on here who have used the pediatric G4, since it is brand new, but input from regular G4 users will still be relevant, because there basically is no difference.

We love it.

5. minniem

minniem Approved members

We have used the Dexcom g4 for the last year and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. We previously used the medtronic CGM (not the enlite, the sof-sensor) and we find the Dexcom much more accurate, less painful insertion for my son, and greater range. Not to mention the sensors last 7 days vs 3 days with the medtronic one we used. We recently had to have our Dexcom replaced and they sent us the pediatric version this time. It is exactly the same, with the addition of 2 warning screens.

We love it so much, I find it more valuable than even our insulin pump. It is such a great tool to help monitor BG's, especially at night. That was one of my main reasons for wanting one too...my son was not waking up at night with his lows and I wasn't getting any sleep from constantly getting up to check his BG. The Dexcom has completely made our life better in that regard. Good luck to you!