- advertisement -

Need advice for sports - on pump

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by Bernadette, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Bernadette

Bernadette Approved members

Hello...
    My daughter just started basketball season and has been battling continuous lows. The last doctor visit they upped her basal rates quite a bit (which I now lowered back down, because it was causing nighttime lows as well).
    We have tried temp basals, but maybe we aren't doing it correctly from what I have read here. We started them as practice started.
    Also she eats about 30 minutes or less before practice, boluses & still gets low ( I mean in the 30-40s).
    Should we only bolus for half the carbs? none?
    They do a LOT of running and almost every practice she has had to sit out due to getting too low, even after temp basals & eating a lot.
    This is her main sport & she is one of the best players..so we need to tackle this!

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Also I will admit we need to better utilize her pump...taking an advanced pump class may help. So I am a little behind in knowledge here. :(

2. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

How many carbs is she eating and bolusing for? For my dd we find that 50 - 60 g carb is about right before an hour of vigorous activity. There was a brilliant post yesterday about the right amount of carbs per kg of body weight. I will find it and post.

3. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

From Skimom
    We have been struggling with temp basals and find that drinking a bit of this amount of carb before, if below 8 (X18), and the rest during exercise is the most simple approach. We used to have to drop basal overnight - but now that she is used to this level of exercise she doesn't seem to go low. ??? Don't know why!

4. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Seth does both Temp basals and drinks Gatorade. A whole 20oz Gatorade uncovered...Is she eating a snack or meal before practice?

5. Bernadette

Thanks for the advice!

I will try the carbs per body weight, but WOW that would be a LOT! She weighs about 150 (not overweight, just muscle & curvy!, she wears a size 7!) which is the norm for girls in our family.

She eats a meal usually before practice...within 30 minutes and last time she bolused for 60 carbs. (had 2 turkey & cheese sandwiches) Started temp basal (set at .80...norm was 1.45) right before practice. Within an hour (after doing sprints) she called me and was at 37). Aaahhh!!
    So I am not sure what else we are needing to do. A lower temp basal?
    BTW...I just lowered her 3pm start basal back to 1.20 from 1.45, also her night time one as we have had multiple lows recently since the change.

I will have her bring juice & snacks, but no Gatorade...sorry too many icky ingredients...maybe I can find a similar product I like? (or recheck ingredients..it's been awhile)
    Maybe it would help if she drank that throughout practice instead of water?

She's got her first scrimmage tomorrow and hopefully she will be okay.

6. Heather(CA)

The reason we use Gatorade is because it's formulated for sports. Juice or soda wold do the same thing but it wold probably give her a belly ache:confused: What bad ingredients are there:confused:

7. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Heather's advice is sound -- Unbolused 20 oz gatorade before starting excercise. It worked for my son to take off the pump during practice, to cut the dinner bolus in half and to have a hefty bedtime snack to ward off any lows after the exercise.

You see the evidence. Your daughter needs a lot less insulin and more carbohydrates.

8. Lee

Lee Approved members

Activity varies from teen to teen. he were dropping that low, then I would give uncovered carbs.

9. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

I probably wouldn't bolus the pre-practice snack. And have her test an hour in.

My son does his sports untethered...so he's not receiving any basal. I understand that's not the best way to go and that he should give himself like 1/4 of his normal basal so we're going to start doing that.

Also, keep in mind that in our experience, game days are completely different because of adrenaline.

10. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I would skip dosing the meal and see what happens.

Can she just disconnect for practice? She clearly doesn't need the basal during that time?

11. KRenee

KRenee Approved members

My daughter swims and we are on MDI, but we face the same issues you do. By trial and error this is what we've found works best:

*reduce basal drastically
    *eat a meal and bolus 3 hours before practice - she can not have active insulin when she swims
    *eat a snack of 20-60 carbs right before practice
    *drink up to 60 carbs during practice
    *reduce post-practice bolus

Her practices are 2 hours long, every day except Sunday.

BTW, powdered Gatorade doesn't have HFS.

12. wilf

wilf Approved members

Have you got the book Pumping Insulin by John Walsh? If not then it's time to get it - there's a storehouse of great info and advice in there.. :cwds:

13. Bernadette

Thanks everyone!!

@ Wilf - I will get the book ASAP...we definitely need to learn how to better use it, and her doctor isn't very helpful.

@ mom 2rh - what do you different on game days?

Well we'll try some of the things everyone has mentioned here and I'll let you know!
    She used to take her pump off during practice & the doc & her nurses said that was a bad idea. Although she doe stake it off during play time in games because we don't want it falling off. She actually had a ref tell her to remove it once!!!!
    Anyway, we'll try the eating uncovered carbs & I'll breakdown & buy her Gatorade :p and see how it goes!
    (you are right Heather, juice would probably make her sick)

We had already learned about post practice issues, thankfully from someone here!! Why wouldn't her doctor know all of this when I ask? Oh well!

Thanks again for all the advice...what a great forum!

14. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

Game days...they are all different. Swim meets, lacrosse games, whatever.

Basically we have a bag of tricks...if he is high for no apparent reason (fresh site, good insulin, no mystery meal bolusing) then we consider the high to be from adrenaline and we will only correct very conservatively...like half. Then I have him test at half time and see where we are. He puts his pump on and delivers insulin if necessary.

I guess the most important thing we learned is that there is no consistent pattern...because things change. So things we used to know, no longer apply. (Like for swim practice, his blood glucose would drop about 100 points...now it doesn't.) So we just treat each day like a new one and test a bunch and use our bag of "tricks" to get through.

15. Heather(CA)

High fructose corn syrup right?

16. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

For soccer, if the BG is in range and not high, we will turn off the pump for 30 minutes. Also they have G-2 gatorade. This has less carbs but works for them. More extreme activity sometimes we give real gatorade. I would not turn down basal much if we gave real G gatorade.

Start lowering basal before activity 30 minutes to an hour will help more.

For basketball we do the same thing.