advertisement

NCLEX accommodations for D

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by C6H12O6, Mar 28, 2014.

1. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

By the time I write the registration exam to become an RN it will be NCLEX and administered the same way NCLEX is in the US, and by the same company.

I have looked up information about NCLEX accommodations, and read some pretty crazy rumors. Like they won't let you have food, water, a meter etc. (one person posted that they won't allow you to wear an insulin pump.) But to compensate they give you an obscene amount of extra time. And you keep all your items in a locker. (Apparently some ppl go for a smoke break during the exam)

Everyone, in Canada is quite confused about NCLEX in general. I don't think there any official statements from Pearson (not sure if that is the governing body / company) about accommodations.

Sorry, if I sound ignorant. I know essentially nothing about NCLEX. The old Canadian test was quite differentiate (CNRE) and our faculty teaching with the CRNE in mind out of habit.

I have also never written a computerized test that uses this algorithm and super stressed out about the idea of only getting one change to answer the question and not go back and review it.

2. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

I took the NCLEX in January 2011, so I'm not sure if things have changed in 3 tears or not, but I had my pump and CGM on me and they said to just raise my hand if I felt like I needed assistance for blood sugar / needed food.
    I wasn't going to make a big stink about it because my numbers had been running high from nerves and a sinus infection anyway, so I didn't even worry about the correcting lows thing...
    The test is very interesting in that you can pass or fail in as few as 65 questions or as many as like 300 or so. It's done so that you have to pass a certain number of questions of certain difficulty levels and in certain categories before moving on to the next level... if you miss a certain number in any level, you automatically fail... it's a weird algorithm thing that I don't really understand, but I passed in the fewest number of questions possible, so I guess it worked ok for me!

3. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

thanks, for the info hopefully your luck will rub off on me. i think i am going to take a formal prep course. :)

4. moco89

moco89 Approved members

Well, an American's experience with a disability receiving accommodations on the NCLEX-RN is going to be completely different, even if similar. There are totally different laws involved. Canada is regarded worldwide as a very disability-friendly country.

The answer to this question can be seen below. Pearson has no authority or weight whatsoever in granting disability accommodations in Canada. Basically, you need to contact your province's nursing board, the College of Nurses of Ontario, who you will be requesting accommodations from and who you will be granted accommodations from.

******************************************************************************************************
    From College of Nurses of Ontario - Frequently Asked Questions: Registration Examinations:

How do I apply for special accommodation?

Requests for special accommodation must be submitted in writing with your application to write the exam by the Deadline to Apply date. Your written request should indicate the nature of the accommodation you require (e.g., extra time, technological assistance, a separate room, etc.).

It’s recommended that you also provide supporting documentation that includes a diagnosis (in the case of a physical or mental health condition) or a psycho-educational assessment (in the case of a learning disability). This supporting documentation must also be received by the Deadline to Apply date of the examination.

Requests and supporting documentation received by the College after the Deadline to Apply date for a particular exam will result in the request being denied for that exam. A request for special accommodation that arrives after the Deadline to Apply date will be considered for the next available exam date.

If you have additional questions about special accommodation, contact the College’s Customer Service Centre.

******************************************************************************************************
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________

From the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (Canada):

How does a candidate with special needs request testing accommodations?

A candidate must contact their board of nursing for instructions on how to apply for accommodations and what documentation is required. A candidate may receive testing accommodations if they provide documentation from an appropriate medical professional to support their request. This documentation must include a diagnosis included in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM). Among the accommodations available are additional testing time, separate room and/or assistive personnel (i.e., reader).

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

From the Canadian Council of Registered Nurse Regulators:

How will students with disabilities be accommodated?

Students meeting accommodation requirements will be provided accommodation on the NCLEX-RN examination. Specific policies around the criteria for accommodation will be developed by CCRNR in accordance with Canadian legislation.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

From NCLEX Communique, Winter 2014 (publication of National Council of State Boards of Nursing) (See page 4):

Spotlight on NCLEX® Responsibilities

Regulatory Body

Process accommodation requests

5. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Thanks moco89, I am sure I will find out more as time passes. I may even be eligible to write CRNE since I qualify to write in Dec 2014. However, NCLEX should be the easier exam just based on the fact that it does not include information that is not taught in Associate Degree programs (which we don't have in Canada.)

6. lilwitte

lilwitte Approved members

I took the NCLEX in Sept 2011, I did not apply for accommodations and it never even crossed my mind to think of asking for them. I had no issues, I took the minimal amount of questions which was 75 I believe and completed the test in about 40 min. I wore my pump and CGM but set all the tones to silent. I knew that if I felt off or needed anything at any point I would be able to pause my test and go get something out of my bag. I figured that was enough and luckily it was. I would suggest getting the Kaplan NCLEX review book from Amazon, it was $20 I think and was basically their entire classroom review course that takes a week or so to complete. It is also a lot cheaper compared to the classroom course that was I think $400 or so. Let me know if you have any other questions, and congrats on finishing nursing school and good luck on the NCLEX!!

7. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I won't be finished until Dec 2014. I will post as more questions come up. Thanks for taking the time to post. :)

8. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I got absolutely no where with trying to get accommodations for the NCLEX. They wouldn't let me bring any form of food, water, or my meter in the exam with me. They said I had to raise my hand and ask for a break. Breaks were counted against my time and I was granted no extra time at all. I even contacted the American Diabetes Association and they got me a lawyer to work with and he wrote letters and quote the Americans with Disabilities Act and got no where. It ended up not being a big deal because I finished in like 25 minutes, but it was a huge stressor. They didn't give me a hard time about my pump. I didn't have a CGMS yet.

9. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

a guide I just acccessed a copy of says

The following personal items are not allowed in the testing room, but may be accessed while on break:
    • Bags/purses/wallets/watches
    • Coats/hats/scarves/gloves
    • Medical aids/devices]
    • Food or drink, gum/candy
    • Lip balm

https://www.ncsbn.org/Transitional_NCLEX_Candidate_Bulletin_2014.pdf

10. Ali

Ali Approved members

Am I remembering that this is a nursing exam??...how crazy are these restrictions in the context of the exam. I have not read the posts back so correct me if I am wrong. ali

11. Mimikins

Mimikins Approved members

How lovely. I will be taking the NCLEX in about four years (just began working on my BSN degree).

I'm trying to read up on the US policies regarding whether insulin pumps are allowed, and now I am afraid that they will believe that my pump is an iPhone. If worst comes to worst, at least I now know that it might be best to go onto MDI the day of the NCLEX.

12. funnygrl

I tried desperately to get accommodations for the NCLEX, either having my meter and sugar with me or off-the-clock breaks if needed for lows. I failed miserably. I even got a lawyer involved from the ADA and they still rejected my requests. I was mad, frustrated, and terrified. I felt like this put me at a huge disadvantage. If I had a bad low that could put me out for 30min+. And you don't know how many questions you're going to get! I just kept meeting resistance and being told, "Well you're not the first diabetic to take this!"

I ended up getting the 75 question version and my bg's ran a bit high with the stress. They did let me keep my pump on. In reality, I think if I had a few hard candies they would have been okay with that. I took one break to check my bg and finished with time to spare. I went into the test figuring I would hate everyone I met before I even got there based on my prior experiences. The actual people at the center were nice and helpful.

13. funnygrl

Sorry, just realized this was an old thread that I've now replied to twice! I didn't see my reply on the first page.

14. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I am going to follow up on this thread in case it is helpful to anyone who is searching and and finds it via Google etc .

I also passed in 75 questions . I got a lot of extra time as an accommodation for diabetes - 15 minutes on the hour to be exact . I only requested 15 minutes on the hour, but I was told if I asked for even 45 minutes extra on the hour it would have been fine .

My doctor never put anything about extra time in the letter, and I am sure things will vary by regulatory body .

The extra time was very helpful because I did not feel pressed for time at all and read each question very carefully . I have been told that 15 minutes on the hour for diabetes management is considered reasonable and customary as a general exam accommodation. Stop clock breaks are not an option for NCLEX . (I will add that I find stop clock breaks problematic in general. To me taking a lump sum of extra time seems like the smarter choice. )

I don't even know how long I spent writing because my check in process was complicated and delayed . I never paid attention to when I started, I know I got to the point where the computer offers you a scheduled break.

A little FYI Pearson Vue considers cough candy / lozenges and medical devices attached to one's body as comfort aids, therefore, these items do not require an accommodation.

My doctor specified water and glucose tabs in my letter , these items were denied in no uncertain terms. (not by my regulatory body but pearson vue)

I was granted a BG meter as an accommodation . I had to let them know the brand of meter ahead of time, and they got back to me saying it was an approved meter .

Now here comes the funny part. I arrived and they told me I could have the meter , but not the strips and lancing device . the agent at the testing center said they sent them a picture of my brand of meter but not the other items .

They also unwrapped the lozenges so they had kleenex stuck to them when i decided to eat them :blue:. My sugar was 108 when i started the exam. I think I wrote for about 1.5 hours . I did not have a CGM at the time .

If I had it to do over again I would have also brought some kind of hard candy because I am pretty sure they would have let me bring those in (wrapped in Kleenex ). It really makes no sense that lozenges are allowed but not glucose tabs or hard candy in general .

The issue re. The lancing device and strips was a mistake on the part of the agent at the individual testing center . If I had of waited they would have cleared it up , but I did not feel like waiting , and I was told the time we spent waiting for the call center to get back to me would be docked from my time .

I will add that there were other disadvantages to being granted accommodations ex. A very inconvenient booking process in comparison to the process for non accommodated candidates, and over triple the wait time for a time slot .

This meant lost income for me because I earned less money while I had a temporary license .

So that's my NCLEX story, I am sure things will change in the years to come. It seems they should be a little more flexible considering you are videotaped the whole time and someone behind glass is watching the accommodations room the whole time .

15. Mimikins

Mimikins Approved members

Congrats! Your experience is going to be super helpful for me -I'll be taking the NCLEX in roughly 5 semesters (kill me now).

16. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I'm glad you found the information helpful. PM me anytime if you have questions you think I could help with. :)