- advertisement -

Navigator - I found one!!!

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by lightnng, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

With either system, my daughter rarely sees straight up or down arrows, so that may be why we haven't seen ???, but it may also have to do with the Plus. I know that the Dex guy said that they now have the best rate of change out of all of the systems. He was very interested in my opinions since he knew how much we loved the Navigator. The ??? at night would have been a deal breaker for me and I would have been doing what you did and trying to find another Navigator system for her.

2. lightnng

lightnng Approved members

I concur on all points. With the Dex on I still tested quite frequently; with the Nav, after a few weeks of use, I dropped to 1-2 a day (including the calibrations). There was simply no need for more. AND my A1C's improved nicely, AND more importantly, my BG range flattened.

3. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I heard the same thing . That the Seven system was known to give ??? I never used that system. I use Seven Plus. Hardly ever get that. I would not even compare to the two systems. The Seven Plus is also supposably much more accurate.

4. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

We have used all the dex systems since they came out. We have found the dex 7 plus to be the best so far. I think one time we may have gotten the ??? and that was when my son had a bad site and also ate cotton candy...bad combo. The system just could not keep up!

5. Diana

Diana Approved members

The Dex Seven Plus will still give ??? if BG is changing too rapidly - say for example if you forget to bolus for a 64g breakfast :rolleyes:

We occasionally get ??? even when BG is not changing very quickly, and it has always been a sign that the sensor is not good (or it was a bad insertion).

It doesn't happen often enough that I consider it a big problem, and with a "good" sensor I have learned that it means he is rising or falling quickly, so test more during that time. My issue is that the Dex doesn't tell you when it goes to ???, so you may not even know there is a problem for a long time - especially at night.

I have never used the Seven, but my understanding is that ??? is much much less frequent on the Seven Plus.

6. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Wow, the ??? would concern me about the Dex. We have been experiencing a TON of straight up and straight down arrows with the Navigator since going GF with Emma - the rice flour spikes her HUGE and I feel confident we would get them a LOT on the Dex. I hope the Nav issues get resolved soon. We're still moving along ok but I hold my breath every day hoping the receiver keeps working.

Got new 2part sensors in my shipment from Edgepark yesterday. With an expiration date 1 year from now. Guess they finally cleared out their stock of older expirationn. I'm still working on a box of January 2010 sensors and then move into a box of Feb - I have them stacked based on expiration date in the closet.

And, oh, they are now sending 2 batteries with each month of sensors - its printed on the box that its 2 - so I guess they realize that the transmitter batteries weren't lasting a month!

7. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We are extremely lucky with MM, it is very accurate of us.. as well as many other people.. some people don't have luck with it, some people don't have luck with dexcom or navigator either.. maybe it has something to do with body make up, who knows.. Kaylee has hypounawareness, one of our major reasons for going on a cgms.. we were checking 15-20times a day, it was absolutely crazy.. for the most part now we check 6 times a day.. sometimes more, depending on the lows or whatever else is going on during the day.. but on average of 6 times a day.. taking that from 15-20 times a day, that is HUGE.. we do a finger poke before each meal.. I'd never do a correction off a high bg off of the cgms.. It just feels like I'm cheating or doing something wrong:p.. sounds stupid, I know..LOL.. but I've attempted it and then would chicken out LOL.

8. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Does Abbott provide you with the batteries for the transmitter? are they special batteries? Thats great.

The ??? that the dex seems to give people would concern me too.. we have rate of change alarms, rise rate and fall rate.. you can set it to your preference.. its been very helpful (we've only had this alarm for a few months, its on the guardian and not on the 522 pump, but is on the new revel.)

9. Nancy in VA

Kim: They do provide us batteries. They prefer we use a certain brand so they send them. They used to send 1 a month and many of us had to call and get extras because they don't last a month. They obviously have seen enough evidence to show they don't last a month of continuous use, so they are now sending 2 per month.

10. buggle

buggle Approved members

It's a standard battery -- very common. We find the batteries out of Brendan's pods work better than the batteries Abbott sends.

11. Jacque471

Jacque471 Approved members

We started out on the Dexcom Seven and used it before the upgrade came out. On the Seven system we did have quite a few instances of ??? at random times and seemingly due to a fast rate of change confusing the system.

Then we upgraded and that problem totally went away. The only time we see ??? now are either during the first 10 hours of a new sensor (we sometimes have trouble getting them to start up first try but that is only overnight the very first night after insertion, and actually since getting out new receiver/transmitter we have NOT had that problem yet!) and also when we have extended a sensor past it's life. So generally around days 12-14 of a sensor we start to see ??? and then we know it's time to pull it and put on a new one.

The Seven and Seven Plus cannot be compared IMO. There are a few things that I hope they will continue to improve on but in general we love our Dex and feel as strongly about it as many of you do about your Navigators

12. Diana

Diana Approved members

So, the Dex shows one up/down diagonal arrow if BG is changing 1-2 per min (60-120 per hour), a single straight up/down arrow if changing 2-3 per min (120-180 per hour), and double arrows if changing more than 3 per min (180 per hour).

I can't remember what the Nav arrows mean. BG can be changing very rapidly and you will still get numbers on the Dex most of the time, but sometimes you get ???.

This is one of those features that people are obviously going to feel differently about. I think you have to look at all of the features/flaws of each system and decide which ones you have to have, and which ones you can put up with. I was very apprehensive about the ??? issue when we started the Dex, but it hasn't been a big deal for us. If we saw it on every sensor or at night alot, then I would be much more irritated by it.

There are things I miss about the Navigator, and things I absolutely do not miss at all. For now, I like using the Dex better, but there are still things about it that I don't like. I don't feel particularly loyal, and when the time comes to replace it, then I will look at all the systems again (even the Navigator )

13. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

Seems there's a lot of misconception about the ???'s on the Dexcom 7+.
    We see fast rises and fast drops often since I still post bolus more often than not. So I will get 2 up arrows showing a fast rise until the insulin kicks in and then it will turn and, at the peak, we'll often see 2 arrows down showing a fast drop. Never in the time we've been using it since early Sept. last year has this caused ??? on his receiver. We have seen the ???'s, as Jacque said it usually means the sensor is about to fail. We got a lot of that during the bad sensor issues awhile back but since the beginning of this year I can only only think of a couple times I've seen them. One was this week when, for the first time this year, the sensor failed on day 3. The other time I don't remember the specifics but that it did start reading again in a short matter of time.
    Range is not that great, I do wish it were longer but not at the trade off of a bigger sensor wire. That's my choice.

14. Nancy in VA

Just so you know, the sensor isn't bigger. The sensor insertion point is actually tiny - smaller than an injection needle. Its the transmitter that sits on the top that is bigger - and there is no doubt that its freaking huge - but the part that is inserted is teeny

15. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

Thanks Nancy, I did not know that. I thought Dex had the smallest sensor wire.
    Learn something new all the time. :)

16. Diana

Diana Approved members

The Dex definitely has the thinnest insertion needle. We use numbing cream so that doesn't really matter much to us. I like that you can't see the insertion needle on either the Dex or the Nav.

17. Nancy in VA

That's true - I've never seen the insertion needle because you would have to take apart the inserter. But, when you remove a sensor, you can see the portion that is left under the skin and its teeny. But again, the reason that it has great range is the transmitter and its easily double the size of any other transmitter. I'm just lucky we are at a point that Emma is ok with it on her arm for all to see. If she reaches a point where she starts to get self-conscious, we might have a problem becuase its so big.

18. lightnng

lightnng Approved members

Yes, that transmitter is huge, but the range benefit is even huger, so to speak. At least IMO.

One thing I want to warn any Nav users about - if you are going ANYWHERE where there is even a remote chance of being bumped on the arm - PUT A SPORTS BAND AROUND THE TRANSMITTER.

This is how I lost mine. I was in a crowd, got bumped, and the transmitter dropped. I didn't even realize it until a few minutes later when the receiver started complaining, and by that time it was far too late to find the transmitter.

When I was on the Dex, there was simply no way for the transmitter to pop off the sensor - the coupling was really tight. If I got bumped, either the entire thing would come off (which would be painful enough for me to notice), or nothing would happen. The loose coupling between the transmitter and sensor with the Nav is one of the design issues with the device, and one that I learned to my significant detriment. When I get the new system (today, hopefully), I will take care to use a sports band.

When I lost the unit back in February and called Abbott support, they first refused to do anything for me because it was out of warranty. Not that I cared - I offered to just pay them over the phone - but when I got escalated to the dept head in support and he heard my story, he said that they were, in fact, aware of this particular design issue and approved my replacement out of warranty. Of course, that's when it became apparent that no replacement would be coming due to the inventory disruption... *sigh*

19. Diana

Diana Approved members

Have you ever accidentally pushed the insertion buttons on the Nav before you actually inserted? That sucker shoots out the sensor like a bullet! I did it one time while I was looking into the inserter, and that sensor went flying over my shoulder at a hundred-zillion miles an hour :eek:. I never did find it, and I was so happy that it hadn't hit me in the eye (or anywhere, for that matter). Never mind why I was doing that - it was the ultimate brain cramp.

My son never seemed to mind the size of the transmitter.

20. Diana

Diana Approved members

We learned quickly to put an extra piece of tape over the transmitter to keep it in place if it got dislodged.