- advertisement -

Navigator - I found one!!!

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by lightnng, Apr 21, 2010.

1. lightnng

lightnng Approved members

They can't replace it - there are no systems available. If something goes wrong I'll be back to where I am today (until tomorrow). The "plan" really amounts to having Abbott pay for the replacement in a sort of backhanded way that is designed to go around the distribution channel issue.

My bet is that the new Nav - v1.5 - is released late summer or so, and at that point Abbott will hopefully offer an upgrade path to current registered users.

2. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

My bet is that anyone else without a system and willing to pay out of pocket for a used one could likely find one that someone has sitting in a drawer unused for some reason. Finding those people might be a bit tricky though and deciding what you would pay for one.

3. Diana

Diana Approved members

I have a broken one sitting in a drawer (receiver AND transmitter are both broken) that I'll sell someone :p

4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I get how upset, frustrated and angry you were with Abbott, but I don't understand whats changed? why are you willing to go through ALL that again? Because a brand new navigator was found, which I HOPE will be in warrenty for however long they'll warrenty them, what has you thinking that this is a good thing? The frustration and angry feelings have dissappeared?

I'm actually surprised Abbott didn't request all their navigators back once they decided to stop producing them.

Loyal navigator users obviously love their product, faults and all..But if this were a house hold appliance, that broke, wasn't getting replaced, they offered you a refund and told you to find another product but you found a brand new one if the same exact model at a different store, would you buy it?

5. lightnng

That analogy makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

There IS no product that is comparable to the Navigator. I WAS on the Dexcom for a while. It didn't work for me. IF there was a comparable product to the Nav, believe me, I'd be the first to ditch it. Abbott does not have my loyalty; the product does though, because it is the only game in town AFAIC.

And the new information that has surfaced recently regarding the reasons for the delays, which I do believe, mean that the product IS going to be produced in the future, just in better form. If by getting the new device I am going to be able to use it until that time - as I have been, successfully, for about 16 months - then I am, indeed, happy to continue (while still having a lot of negative feelings towards Abbott themselves).

6. selketine

selketine Approved members

I think this is a great idea - to have two. I know when our pump was out of warranty and we were getting a new one I was very tempted to keep the old one for emergencies. I decided against it since Animas has been so great in getting replacements out for broken ones but you never know.

I am hoping for this too.

I think many of us who have a broken product are more frustrated with Abbott's response (which was basically not telling us anything) - and not that there is a problem and they want to fix it. I'm still not happy with their lack of transparency about the situation but I really like the Navigator. It is definitely a dice roll to continue with them. However I'm having issues with my insurance trying to cover the Dex so financially it wouldn't make sense for me to get a Dex OOP if my insurance will keep paying for the Nav sensors - I just need a working unit.

With William's poor reactions to the Nav tape I'm also concerned I could have the same problem or worse (like one of Carol's sons) with the Dex tape. Of course it could be better for him - but the tape reactions sometimes take months to develop so I'd be stuck with it.

7. Flutterby

Sure there is..:cwds: We've used MM for over 2.5 years.. Its extremely accurate for us.. Right now, sensor average 176, bg average 175.. It predicts lows so we can try and stop them..(it does so much more that this, but the low predictor is a major reason why I love it so much) I never have sensor problems, transmitter issues, parts breaking or falling off.. and if I do, I know MM costumer service will be there 24/7.

We were hiking all day yesterday.. the guardian was an awesome tool to have.. she went low a few times, but because of the low predictor alarms, we avoided huge/bad lows.

8. Flutterby

I do see where you're coming from..

The tape issues.. its one of the reasons why I like MM, we were able to find tape that she's not reacting, hypafix.. :)

9. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

The biggest thing for us and the reason we will stay with Abbott until Emma is a LOT older, is the range. I do not have to get out of the bed to know what her reading is any minute - I can turn over and push the button on the receiver on my pillow. I don't have to get up to mute an alarm that keeps beeping low because we just treated. She can play on the playground and I can know what she is. The range in and of itself is the reason we stay with them.

10. Flutterby

Thats great you get such a large range.. we get a larger range than what MM says (I think they say 5 or 6 feet) but we get about 20 feet, sometimes more.

11. buggle

buggle Approved members

They may not be able to replace it right now, but if it breaks, they will have to replace it when the supply is up again. If you bought a brand new one, then the warranty should be valid.

12. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Ditto, the range is the only reason we're sticking with Abbott as well. When another company can get that range we might consider switching, but the range is the selling factor for us. Even with Abbotts horrible service, we aren't switching to any other system simply because of the range.

13. lightnng

For me it's a combination of:

1) Range
    2) Per-minute results
    3) No missed readings (the Nav will always display a number, not those frustrating "???")
    4) Power of the alarm
    5) Ability to function while asleep
    6) ... a host of more minor things

(1) is obvious. (2)+(3) together are critical for someone who can easily drop - provably - over 100 points in less than 15 minutes. The Nav catches that. The Dex goes blind (because it displays those idiotic "???" when the rate of change is too high). (4) is critical for night time. (5) is something I found while on the Dex, which is that when Im sleeping the sensor simply doesn't function often; they confirmed on the phone that it had to do with the technology itself (something along the lines of blood being withdrawn by the body from the area where the sensor tip is).

Really, I wish there WAS a device comparable to the Nav, so I didn't have to deal with Abbott. I am a slave to the former; I absolutely detest the latter.

14. Melissata

How long ago did you try the Dexcom, was it the 7 Plus? Talking to the Dex rep, he said the Dex people that answer the phones are having an easy time of it right now with nothing much to do. Sort of like the Matag man I was thinking. The person that trained us has been with them from the start, and she acknowledges that it was far from perfect then. I wasn't going to just go ahead with it because I knew I would not be happy with ??? I am happy to report not having any of them for the entire 2 weeks she trialed it. I like the fact that there are no extra finger sticks to calibrate and no set times to do so or lose readings. Unless there is a size change along with the other improvements that they are supposed to be making with the upgrade, we will be sticking with Dex. I never thought that I would ever say that!

15. lightnng

It was the Seven.

I am interested in your comment about not seeing "???"s. From my understanding, the main reason they showed (at least for me) was when the rate of change was too high - that is, if my BG's were climbing or dropping more than (IIRC) 4 point per minute (20/5m) the device would suspect something was wrong and display the "???". It was reliable as clockwork in this regard; whenever my changes were too rapid it would always freak out this way until I stabilized myself using finger sticks, but that sorts of defeats the entire purpose of having a CGMS, especially at night.

16. Flutterby

Not sure how the analogy makes no sense.. you have a product, the navigator, that is broken, the company can't fix it at the moment, so they aren't honoring their warrenty, so they are giving you a refund to buy another product, you found one, that happens to be the navigator, the same product..

so you have a Kenmore fridge, that you bought directly from the source, it isn't keeping your food at the right tempature, its under warrenty, but they're having a problem, and they can't fix it.. so they refund your money and tell you to go buy another one, you find another kenmore fridge.. you love that fridge, when its working.. would you actually buy that fridge (or toaster, snowblower, microwave.. put whatever you want in there..)from a different store?

17. redheadmom

redheadmom Approved members

I think they must have fixed that ??? problem when they made the Seven Plus version. I used to get them ALL THE TIME when I used the Seven--it was awful! But this week I have been trialling the Seven Plus, and I have NEVER gotten question marks so far. In fact, when the rate of change is rapid, not only do I still see glucose numbers, but I also get a nice alarm warning me, so that I have time to act on the pending high/low. It is a MUCH better system all around. I would even say that it has been ACCURATE for me (something I would NEVER have said about the Seven.) My only real issues with it now are the short range and the Tylenol issue.

18. selketine

selketine Approved members

I can't speak for lightnng but I think the issue is that a fridge works basically the same in my house or your house but a cgms is on a person and that person's chemistry sometimes doesn't seem to react well with some cgms devices compared to others. For example, one mom here had a kid on the Nav, switched to the Dex and liked it well enough - but started having serious issues with a tape allergy to the Dex tape - so had to go back to the Nav for the most part.

I haven't had the chance for William to try both systems so the fridge analogy is more apt for us perhaps.;) I was told by the Dex rep that my insurance will NOT pay for the Dex. So my plan seems to be to get this Nav system and continue to use it, have William trial a Dex to see if he likes it - then if he does - work through the insurance to get it. The buyout allows me to pursue both options and give him a working unit in the meantime.

There was a nice post on the tudiabetes blog from a woman who had a dinner with some Nav reps and they talked about why they liked the Nav so much - the link has been posted on the board elsewhere.

19. lightnng

I may have misunderstood you, and if that the case I apologize, but I guess my answer is: if the Kenmore is the only fridge that can keep my food cold, of course I would. I'd still be very frustrated with the company, but I need the product, or I won't eat.

20. Melissata

You are one of the lucky ones that have success with the Minimed system. Others do not and lots of them are sitting in a drawer unused and those people are doing without a CGM, not knowing that a different one could make a huge difference in their lives. My friend is a great example of this. Her son was on the Minimed for a year before I could convince her to try the Navigator. She was super frustrated with Minimed and her son was having seizures from lows because the Minimed was not accurate when he really needed it to be. I finally convinced her and now she is one of the holdouts that will not part with the Navigator unless she has to. Her son hardly tests now and the range is so great that he can be in the park behind their house and she can keep the receiver inside with her.
    I don't want people to jump on me saying this about Minimed, because I know that some people CAN get it to work very well for them and are completely happy with it. I have not seen anyone with that system say that they have been able to cut way back to testing just once or twice a day though. My son is another hold out. He would give Dex a try, but only if the Navigator went away for good. He tests basically only to calibrate the system now. That is only 4 times in 5 days. I would never allow that with my daughter, but he is an adult with a good head on his shoulders and trusts the Navigator that much. He has hypo unawareness and has not had a low in a year and a half that the Navigator has not caught.