- advertisement -

Navigator 1.5 - first impressions

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by lightnng, Sep 5, 2010.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Does the new Nav software allow you to calibrate at any time if the numbers are off like Dexcom does?

2. lightnng

lightnng Approved members

Yes, but that was true for the old one as well.

3. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I didn't think you could calibrate at anytime unless you did the Force calibration that lost all previous calibrations. We did that once before and it wasn't pretty.

4. lightnng

Hmm. I had used the "calibrate BG" option previously and it worked when it was needed; I can't tell you if it works the same or better with this one. Actually, one difference I CAN state is that I didn't need one, even though with all the swings I have been experiencing I would have expected one.

5. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Good , maybe the algorithm is better they use now

6. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Once I pinned down the best time to do the first two calibrations, I haven't had to force a calibration . Really, its been that accurate - as long as I get the first two calibrations right. If a meal stick is more than 20pts off from the CGMS, it usually will catch up with that meal stick (on a different meter) pretty quickly. A couple of times I've done a "non-calibrating" finger stick to point it back in the right direction and that was enough.

7. lightnng

Nancy, do you have a v1.5 as well? or is this about the v1.0?

8. Nancy in VA

No, this is on the 1.0. But, the first few months, I felt like I was doing a forced calibration a lot. But once I figured out the best time of day for Emma to calibrate, and the range of readings I should calibrate in, I have rarely if ever had to force another calibration.

My husband has flubbed the 12-hour calibration though and ended up with the "redo later" forever. I've told him over and over how to avoid that but nonetheless he still messes it up

9. lightnng

So I am now going through my worst Navigator experience ever - excluding when they break down completely. I am not sure if this is something to do with the v1.5, or with the Nav in general, as I seem to find reports of similar issues with the v1.0 even if I never encountered them myself.

Basically, for the past 12 hours or so, my system is refusing to calibrate and is reporting terrifically low BG's ("lo" or 20-40 most of the time), even though my actual BG's are in the low to mid 100's.

I keep doing a calibration every hour, but while it isn't rejecting them, it is also not adjusting to the actual values.

What the heck? any ideas? is this a sensor problem? I am very frustrated with this, and I can't help but think it's something to do with the v1.5, although there is no causal connection (that is, even though this is the first time I've encountered this and it's the first time I use the v1.5, there is clear causation between the two).

10. Mike&Dans.Mom

Mike&Dans.Mom Approved members

When we would have this happen it turned out that the sensor had partially come out.

11. Nancy in VA

We have that happen once in a while and its usually a sensor problem - coming out, too old, etc. Often a meal with a bolus would get it back in range but we'd have to suffer through the sustained lows, which was sometimes overnight :(

12. lightnng

Interesting, thank you.

Well, I realized a couple hours ago that I get to do one thing with the v1.5 that I never could do with the v1.0 - reset the sensor. After all, it's only an hour... I did that and it still couldn't "catch" the first calibration, so I'll try again in a bit, but I think it IS a bad sensor.

Still, having this flexibility is just delightful.

13. buggle

buggle Approved members

Since you're in Israel, can you call customer support and see what they say?

Hope it gets resolved soon.

14. selketine

selketine Approved members

Persistent false lows are always a sign the sensor wire is pulling out for us. This is assuming the lows are false. Can anyone look and see if the wire is still in? It can be hard to tell. Or the transmitter is unclicked.

15. lightnng

Well, I took the sensor out... seems like something went wrong with it, because it hurt a lot and there is a big bump under the skin there. I bet that's the cause of the bad readings. Maybe I bumped it at some point without realizing it.

16. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Obviously not Nav users here, but we've had a couple of sensors where the site got irritated and it appeared to have caused wacky readings.

17. lightnng

Yeah, must have been that, the new one is working well. Just never happened to me before this way.