- advertisement -

Navigator 1.5 - first impressions

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by lightnng, Sep 5, 2010.

1. lightnng

lightnng Approved members

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Do you know all of your pictures are upside down?

3. selketine

selketine Approved members

That is awesome! Looking forward to hearing how the start-up goes.

Did you find out what kind of support it would get in the US?

The screen has been the bigger problem for us - seems like you can crack it under normal use (not the outer screen but the actual display - the outer screen looked great but underneath was broken). Probably no way of telling if they changed that design though!

I hope you love it!:)

4. lightnng

Why, yes they are Nancy... sorry about that. Didn't realize it; the blogger interface really stinks :)

5. lightnng

So first sensor is in... countdown for 1-hour calibration has commenced. This is exciting! It's liberating to know I can replace a sensor at, like, whenever without losing so much time on the monitor.

I don't know about support. I'm returning the v1.0 unit for the refund, and will attempt to register this one afterwards. I'll report then - but it will be a few weeks.

6. selketine

Yeah I think at times that William's sensor is starting to peel off and I cringe to see him do something that might make it come off (like swimming) cause it is such a PITA to do the 10 hour thing. It probably takes a different approach to get ready for a one hour start-up - trying to be at a good steady number. We usually put the sensor on at night and do the 10 hour cal in the morning before breakfast.

I'm curious also how good the readings are those first 9 hours - I'm guessing not as good but probably still better than nothing.

I hope it is marvelous and we all get by the end of this year.:)

7. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Does the transmitter look the same? Does it still have the temp. probe?
    I am wondering if there is a programming change to how long you can mute the device.

8. lightnng

Seems pretty solid thus far - I am testing with a separate freestyle mini and the numbers are pretty close (and I just ate too, so swings are happening).

I noticed an interesting change - the device seems to turn on the backlight every time you click the main button. There is no longer a need to first press the bottom right one. I like this change. I used to turn on the backlight 80% of the time anyway, and I HATED the time when, fumbling in the dark, I would press the main first and then have to wait another 20 seconds for the device to turn off before I could turn on the backlight.

Another REALLY important change - "removed sensor" is no longer the top option under system status. No more accidents there!

9. lightnng

I have to say, I wish I had this question before I stuck the new one in.

It FELT a bit different but I couldn't say exactly why. It slid a bit more smoothly and seemed to lock better to the sensor mount - my v1.0 transmitters (all three of them) always had a significant gap to the mount and you could rock them a bit. The new one just feels a bit sturdier in that sense. But I didn't think to look at the probe itself. I'll do it in five days when I switch sensors.

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

The backlight thingie makes me think that the Isreal version is the one that was FDA approved in the states back in November. Link.
    Do you see anything that makes you think differently?

11. lightnng

Yes, seems like this is the one.

By the way, I just checked - and you can now configure the length of the alarm muting, at any interval between 1 and 12 hours in 1 hour increments. That's COOL, especially as sometimes I just KNOW it will take 3 hours to drop from a very high high.

12. lightnng

Couple of things:

1) if any of you wish to crosspost this thread to other diabetes forums and such - please do so. I'm sure others would like the info but I sort of don't know where else to go myself. I stumbled on this forum originally and started posting admittedly ignoring the "children" aspect.

2) if you read my blog post, you will note that I show that the device is definitely manufactured in the US. That's the device that is selling in the UK and Israel right NOW, the one i just got, and the one you should expect in December. What irks me is that it's made in the US but no available in the US. WTF?

13. hawkeyegirl

My opinion is that this is not the system that you will see in December. I think they're working on a different system to release in the states. The information on the FDA website makes it sound like the one that was approved in December does not have any significant hardware changes, and it appears to me that the hardware is what is causing Abbott the most problems and expense. (And got the FDA all up in their business.) I think the December rollout (which likely will be after December) will be an all-new system.

If they were going to release the one that was FDA approved last year, there's no reason why they wouldn't have done it by now.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  14. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

They aren't releasing it because the approval wasn't final - there was another step required. And, the FDA has shut them down due to quality issues with production. That's probably why its not released.

I guess what I wonder is why every time we have a thread talking about Navigators that you have to jump in and give your opinions and skepticism. You don't use it - that's fine. We all have our opinions about the company and the system and those of us that are still using them are happy with it and I personally don't understand why you have to keeping offering your negative opinion every time someone says or discusses something positive about the Navigator
    The specs of this new one are exactly what was approved last year. The Navigator had an extremely slow final release for the first version too so I'm not surprised by this.

15. hawkeyegirl

What exactly was negative (or inaccurate) about this particular post?

I also "jump in" and give my opinions because this is a discussion board. There's a super-handy ignore button if you're tired of reading them.

I am interested in the Navigator in the same way I'm interested in the Dexcom and the Omnipod and the rest of the technology out there. I would jump to a better product in a heartbeat, so in that respect, I'm just as interested in the upcoming version of the Navigator as you are, and have just as much right to comment on the path that Abbott takes to get there. I realize that we all have a personal stake in the products that our children use, but I have not said anything about the Navigator that hasn't been said a million times by Nav users themselves.

16. hawkeyegirl

Exactly what is that step? From the FDA website:

The Navigator had an extremely slow approval process for the first version, (due to their application for fingerpoke replacement) but I seem to remember them being rolled out fairly quickly once they were FDA approved.

17. selketine

I've definitely been negative about the Navigator and I'm one of those who have gone to lengths to keep using it.

I find Karla's input helpful so I would not want it to stop. Any negativity she has shown is probably far less than my own. Karla is a great source of info and insight - IMHO.

Anyway - I think that Lightnng's blog post would be an interesting read for those on the yahoo cgms group so I might link to it for you L. Guess it is overnight there but I am enjoying your updates so looking forward to some reports tomorrow!

18. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I wanted to mention when I called during the refund process , they said the Navigator will be available no earlier than Dec. I asked is this the one that is in Europe now and she said it may not be the same system. Thought it was odd that she added that info. I jus wish I had a crystal ball to know when it is really going to be available. I am trying to decide to go ahead and order the Minimed CGM for $1100 for us or what a little longer for the new Navigator. I have been going through my pictures and I thought his skin looked okay with it. Just not sure what to do.

19. lightnng

hawkeyegirl,

I hate to disagree with you - I'd love a newly designed hardware version - but at this stage, there is simply no way what you say is true. The reason is simple - AFAIK there is no application pending with the FDA at present for a new product design, and one HAS to be present AND approved before one can be released! that process can typically take 12-18 months or so once it's gone through all the medical trials or for a new revision.

Even the software update had to be submitted for approval and that simple change takes 6 months or so.

Do you know of such a pending application?

And there is plenty of reason why the product has not been released in the US. The FDA shut down Navigator production due to - drumroll please - reliability issues with the device. The FDA is FAR more finicky than their counterparts (which take very different forms) in Europe or Israel. Hence the oddity of having the device mfred in the US and sold in EU and IL but not in the US... as irritating I (and I am sure others) find this to be.

20. lightnng

The CS folks in the US simply don't know, which is what they told you. As we have all experienced, the CS dept is in a serious bind - corporate isn't sharing much with them but they are the ones that have to deal with us.

My sources in Abbott corporate, as well as the folks in Israel who are also part of Abbott corporate, have both told me explicitly that the v1.5 system is identical across the board, and is, in fact, manufactured in Alameda, CA (15 minutes from my house, frustratingly enough, considering I just traveled 9000 miles to acquire one).

In fact, had there not been a stated claim by some user in Europe that he is using different hardware I don't think we would have any reason to think such exists; however, that one claim, in one internet posting, was never followed nor, more importantly, had any pictures associated with it. At this point I believe there is enough evidence to suggest it was no more than just an internet posting - again as much as I hate to say it.