- advertisement -

Nav rec'r finally bit the dust

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by BrokenPancreas, Jun 16, 2010.

1. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

Does anyone have one they can loan?
    I have lots of things I can trade...PM me....

2. Mike&Dans.Mom

Mike&Dans.Mom Approved members

We are using our endo's office navigator.
    Call yours and see if you can borrow one from them:cwds:

3. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

Thanks! But no, my daughter is the only one in the practice on the Nav.
    I called the regional person also, and he said he didn't have any extra!
    They only have the minimmed:(

4. selketine

selketine Approved members

I think so many of us with a broken this or that ended up taking the buyout and so now we don't have the working piece. Our receiver broke but the transmitter was fine - but we had to send back the whole thing.

I think it is not a bad idea to take the buy out and hold on to the money to buy a new Nav if they ever release one here. YDMV of course - I realize people have different issues with their insurance companies. I think the Dex wasn't a good fit for you right? MM had an interesting sounding cgms updates but that won't be for awhile yet - at least it is being planned.

The rumor is that the Nav is back in production and being sold again - at least in Germany. I wonder if there is any way to get one from there? Could you find a doctor who could prescribe it and send it? I don't know what the rules are for that stuff. I think it uses the same sensors, etc. - has the one hour start up though.

I'm sorry yours is broken.:(

5. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

WHEN ARE THEY COMING OUT WITH NEW ONES??? This is crazy! If ours breaks and they are not out with new ones, I guess I am going to Minimed for my younger son.

6. selketine

I assume you didn't think we knew the answer to that did you?:p I've heard speculation it would be towards the end of the summer but I can't remember what that was based on exactly. They still seem to be offering buyouts.

It seems positive to hear they are back in production overseas.

7. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

Thank you Carol....
    From all the posts I have read regarding the Dex, I'm weary to try.
    I just got the envelopes to send the broken product back

I talked to someone "higher up" at Abbott and mentioned the Germany production, and they said they weren't aware of it.
    I'm willing to go to Germany to get the new one, but I can't find anyone who will confirm this.
    I'm trying to find a contact number for Abbott in Germany, and can't.
    I know that is really extreme, but nobody has an extra rec'r to loan!:(:(

If anyone has a Germany contact, please let me know! Thanks!

8. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

What is it about Dex that concerns you? I felt the same way because of reading about all of the issues with bad sensors that people had, but I felt that we had to at least give it a try. I was VERY pleasantly surprised at how much we all liked it. I thought that Navigator was the be all and end all, but there are just so many things that I like better about the Dex. I wouldn't trade back now if they paid me and my daughter finds it so much more comfortable to wear. I don't even have to keep track of when the sensor was inserted anymore. When she gets the message that a week has gone by, I take a good look at it to be sure that the tape is still sticking well. Press a couple of buttons and wait 2 hours, and then another week is good to go. You can do a trial to see if you like it or not, and it is very simple to learn so I don't see a reason not to at least try it.

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I think you're going to have a very difficult time getting a Navigator from Europe. That version is apparently not FDA approved for the states, so you'd pretty much have to find a doctor over there willing to break the law by prescribing it to a US citizen.

I would really encourage you to try one of the other CGMs. I don't say the following to offend any Navigator users, but as a user of another CGM brand, I do find myself somewhat...bemused at the notion that Navigator users are afraid to try Dex or MM because of any reported problems on here. I think the Nav technology must be pretty good, since its users are quite devoted to the product, but the problems with the units themselves appear to eclipse almost any product I've ever heard of.

Simply put, in your situation, I don't know what the harm would be in trying one of the other brands. There are quite a few users on this board who have switched, and most of them seem pretty happy. Again, this is not to denigrate the Nav, but mostly to say that for the most part, a working CGM is better than none at all. (I realize that for some people one CGM or the other just does not work, but you don't know until you try. :))

10. selketine

I don't know that it would be breaking the law. Certainly US citizens cross borders to obtain medications, surgeries, and other treatments from foreign doctors.

If you join the yahoo CGMS group at http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/diabetescgms/ there is a man on there from Germany who reported they are available again there. He seems like a legit poster but not like I know him. I'll try sending him an email and see if he would mind giving us more info on that and see what he says.

That being said, with the $2000 buyout you could possibly pay for both the Dex system (or MM) out of pocket from that - and have enough left over to buy a new Nav system when it comes out. The old start up kits were around $1000.

I know how you feel - I really like the Nav. It would be tough for us to try the Dex - our HMO doesn't currently have a contract with Dex so we have to work on that (took 8 months last time to get the Nav). We would have to pay $200 OOP to do a trial, etc. There are things I don't like about the Dex but there are upsides. At least the $2000 gives you some options.:eek:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  11. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

We switched from Nav to Dex and love the Dex. For us it is very accurate. We even bolus from it most of the time.These are all first-generation devices and all have their problems, but honestly, you will probably like the Dex or the MM. I think you can return the Dex up to 30d. Even if you paid completely OOP it's cheaper than a trip to Germany.

Chuck

12. hawkeyegirl

Yes, but I assume that she would not be travelling there. My understanding is that it is not currently legal for Americans to purchase, for instance, drugs from Canada (even though it happens all the time on the tough-to-regulate internet).

Certainly if that was her only option to obtain a working CGM, I'd understand. But the other two options are really quite nice. Really! :)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  13. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

This would certaintly drive me crazy if MM (or any product I was using) was having problems like this.

If an insurance company is willing to cover the nav. why wouldn't they cover another cgms? It may cost more oop, or copays.. With our insurance company, certain companies are 'in network' so we get a better co-pay or higher dme pay out for them.. its 90% versus 80%.. but we can go with a difference cgms if we want to.. for those that had to fight for the nav. the first time around you may be surprised at the insurance company now. So many more are paying for the cgms systems, doesn't matter which one. When we first started to use the cgms we paid oop, they wouldn't cover any of them.. but begining of this year we decided to try and get it covered by insurance and had absolutely no problems (2.5 years after we fought for it).. so you may get surprised.. Also, you may be able to work out a deal, if you take the buy out and buy either MM or Dex up front with the money and just had insurance pay for the sensors every months it may not be as difficult to get approval for them.. especially if you go through a place like edgepark, that carries all the sensors, its just simply changing the perscription.

14. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

Okay.. I'm not going to Germany to purchase the Navigator, I don't look good in stripes!:p

Chuck, I know it would be cheaper to get the MM or Dex than traveling to Germany, but for us the Navigator has been a lifesaver, and I would go to the end of the moon for my daughter.

Anyway, I have no choice at this point...

When I talked to the regional Dex person yesterday, he wouldn't let me "trial" it for my daughter.

Nope, no trials. I have 30 days to return it.
    They also upped the price for "Navigator buyout people."

He said he thinks it's 1300-1400 now.
    The other promotion was until June.

So, the reason I'm hesitant of the Dex, is reading the posts on here.

I'm glad to read that there are quite a few of you that are very happy with the Dex.:)

I was not happy to read about parts getting lodged in children.:mad:

I'm not happy reading about the ???, even though I have no clue what that means, everyone seems upset about it, and it happens alot.

I also don't like that fact that you can't hear it, it has no distance like the Nav.

But, the Nav is in the mail, and I will be getting the Dexcom, when I get the refund.

And I know, as soon as she gets the Dexcom, the new Navigator will be out!:mad:

15. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

That is very surprising to me that they would not do a trial. We have had ??? only twice in the 3 months or so that she has worn it. That was one of my concerns as well, because of reading it on here, but it certainly is not a problem for that many people. Just think about how the Navigator must look to people by reading here or just about anywhere else.
    Even though I loved the Navigator I also don't quite understand the people that haven't even tried it thinking that there is no way possible that a Dexcom could work as well for their child, and maybe even better than the Navigator. There are simply too many people using it for that to be true.
    Are you starting the process now, or waiting till you have the refund before telling Dexcom that you want one? I set up the trial before the receiver died, but didn't want them to go ahead with one for us to purchase until she had worn it for a few days. I regretted that because she ended up being without anything for a few days, even though we had the trial for 2 weeks!

16. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

Mary.
    I have to call the rep when I have the refund.
    Weird, huh?
    Since there is no trial, which really irks me, this is how I was told to proceed

Another thing that is confusing me is that when I recently talked to the MSC, they said she might need to get "approval" again since it's a new system

That scares me, because her a1c's have been higher since she's been on the Nav, and they haven't given me any problems.

I'm afraid that when we do Dex, it will open up a whole can of worms.

17. hawkeyegirl

I also think it's very hard to consider the features that the other CGMs have that you don't have now, but would really love. In the case of the Dex, think about a smaller transmitter. Think about the ability to snooze the alarms for any amount of time that you choose. Think of the two hour warm up. Think of the fact that you know that if the equipment breaks, you can get a replacement. Think of not having to worry about an "indefinite mute." Think of being to calibrate any time you'd like. Think of being not having to go into a 10 hour restart because of a battery shift or the battery dying. There are probably more that I'm not thinking of, because we're not Dex users, but even though range and alarm volume may be two downsides, I think you'll really grow to love the upsides!

I hope I am wrong, but I am pessimistic about this happening any time soon. There is no reason Abbott can't tell their users what their future plans are for the Navigator. I suspect that they honestly don't know.

18. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

If I interpret your message correctly, you have to pay up front, but can return the system within 30 days for a refund on the Dex. I can understand their position given the cost of the equipment.

Generally, we have had good customer service with the Dex. We did have a receiver fail, but they replaced it, with a little pleading, by overnight mail. We purchased a backup receiver, because we really can't stand to go without it.

We haven't checked each sensor for length when removed, but haven't had any problems. I seem to recall that bits of the Navigator sensor coating are known to flake off during use, too.

If you follow the discussions here, each product has a loyal following, but each product has had individuals who couldn't make it work. The reality is that all three products probably work fine for most people. A handful of people can't get any of them to work. The complaints seam to come in waves regarding specific products. Then things quiet down.

The biggest problem for the Navigator isn't the design, or quality of construction - it's the lack of product support from Abbott. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to improve.

Chuck

19. selketine

Why no trials? The rep told me we'd have to go to an office that was conducting the trials - then they looked up the ones closest to me - which were about 30 mins away - and we'd have to pay $200 or so - she didn't know the price.

I've also found their reps annoying to deal with - one never called me back and I haven't bothered calling him back.

When I bought the Nav kit (one of the last on the shelf I guess) - it was only $1080. If the Dex has gone up that much for people paying OOP - that is a tough one. I would just as soon pay for it and not do the $200+ trial if I could return it after 30 days - the trial was only for a week - maybe two. Why pay $$$ for that!:rolleyes:

20. selketine

I don't think it would be illegal to get it if the person had a prescription from a doctor there. The one abbott sells there isn't approved by the FDA so I don't know what sort of support a person would get when back. Enough people travel overseas for lap band surgery, knee replacements, etc - with who knows what parts going into you - probably not all of those are FDA approved - it certainly is legal to do this.

I'm starting to sound like I travel for medical reasons all the time - but I don't. I wouldn't rule it out if I could get something cheaper from a trusted source - and good beer as a bonus.:p