- advertisement -

MySentry

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ashley_lynden, Jan 2, 2013.

1. ashley_lynden

ashley_lynden Approved members

Has anyone gotten their insurance to cover a MySentry?

I missed a low again tonight. His sensor alarmed and I never heard it even though I was just 20 feet down the hall. He had been low over an hour. :(

2. Izzi

Izzi Approved members

Our insurance covered 35% of it and we payed the rest. I don't want to say my insurance company bc its a small region insurance company

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  3. chrissy92972

chrissy92972 Approved members

We live in PA and Highmark Blueshield. They denied it in June and we appealed three times. Just found out that we won the appeal. However we did pay for the MySentry $2400 out of pocket with payment plan and loans. Our next battle is getting our money back from Medtronic once Highmark pays them.

Chrissy

4. Ti'sMom

Ti'sMom Approved members

I just found out today from my Medtronic Rep that ours is on its way!! Yay!! My DS just got his pump a couple weeks ago and his cgm today. Thank God!!
    We have Anthem Blue Cross/Blue Shield and ours was covered 100%, but our deductible was paid. I can't wait til it gets here, it'll be nice to actually rest for once!!

5. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Congratulations! Would you share how you got yours covered? Did you hacve to pay first or did you contact insurance company first? Is there a code for My Sentry now?

6. Nevaeh's mommy

Nevaeh's mommy Approved members

Our insurance covered it! We found out about 4 months ago! We have Anthem Blue Cross/ Blue Shield. We just did every thing the packet said to submit and added as much detail as possible. I included a letter from me as well stating how she goes low during the night and how much this would help or even save her life! It took a long time to find out but I called frequently and stayed on top of it and finally it was covered! Our deductible was already paid due to buying pump.

Good Luck! I hope you get it covered!

7. ashley_lynden

We have Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield (Wellmark of Iowa to be exact) so these replies are giving me hope!

What did you do to get approved? Sloan has an endo appointment Monday. Should I ask her to write a letter or something?

8. JamieP

JamieP Approved members

We recently got the Dexcom G4 and I was trying to figure out how I could hear the alarm in my room. I searched this forum and found out about the Sonic Alert System. It works really well. I have a sound signaler in my sons room and put Dex in front of it at night. I have a sound receiver in my room and when his Dex receiver alarms it signals through our electrical system and sets of the alarm in my room. I haven't missed a single alarm. I ordered it through Amazon, but you can go to the Sonic Alert website and learn more a about it. The products are designed for the hearing impaired. You can also search for the threads I found here.

Hope this helps!

9. ashley_lynden

If we can't get MySentry covered I'll have to try that. I tried a baby monitor for a while. I could hear him roll over in the bed but still couldn't hear his alarms!!!

10. JamieP

JamieP Approved members

That's exactly why I didn't want to try a baby monitor! This is great- he has music going in there and talk radio at the same time. None of that sets of the alarm- just the high pitched sudden noise from Dex.

Good luck!

11. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Thank you. I was hoping they had come up with a code for this and the process would be easier. I admit I am a little road weary from years of adovocating (fighting) for D-related items-- starting with a six month battle for coverage of the Insuflon seven years ago. The insurance company eventually capitulated, but it was so much time and effort.

Then there have been the letters required for the pump and cgms, etc. Just weary. (wow, that was whinny!)

Thank you for being proactive and doing the work. I believe your efforts make it easier for those that follow. I try to remember that the effort involved in getting things covered does help pave the way for others.:cwds:

12. Ti'sMom

Ti'sMom Approved members

Our Medtronic rep said that insurance is better about it nowadays, they don't want lawsuits stemming from "it could have been avoided" issues. She said she would just need a letter of necessity from the doctor. Our MySentry arrived on Friday! It just stinks that I have to wait to use it until my Medtronic rep can come out:( We have an appointment on the 21st. That'll be DS's 5 month anniversary. Anyway, it took less than a month to get it, and I didn't have to do anything! Easy peasy!!:) Good luck to you!!