- advertisement -

mySentry and the Medtronic Paradigm 530g pump

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by moco89, Oct 26, 2013.

1. moco89

moco89 Approved members

I know that the mySentry is not compatible with Medtronic Paradigm 530g pump, but whenever that does happen, will any of you consider getting it?

I just had the hypo from hell a few nights ago, and I am strongly considering getting the mySentry, when the device becomes compatible with the 530g, even with its imperfections. I do not expect insurance reimbursement, but I might try appealing. I will be upgrading my Paradigm Revel to the Paradigm 530g model, due to this recent bad incident.

How well does it work for you?

Have any of you had bad experiences with the mySentry?

Has anyone received insurance reimbursement?

Were you able to justify the price of the mySentry?

Has anyone experienced the device breaking (dropping, power surge, etc.)?

2. coeen

coeen Approved members

Hi,
    I have the MySentry and love it. I would never give it up. My Medtronic rep said the 530G was compatible with the MySentry. Who knows till we actually can try it. We are not getting the 530G for awhile anyway. The MySentry is loud and obnoxious but that is fine for me. I have dropped it twice and it stopped working both times. Medtronics replaced it both times while it was under warranty. No hassle at all. Now that it is out of warranty I don't know what they will do. I will gladly pay for a new one if I every drop it again.
    Insurance didn't cover mine. I got it over a year ago so who knows what insurance will cover now. The system works great for us. I have a two story house. I keep it upstairs and night and take it downstairs in the day. Picks him up where ever he is in the house. When he is upstairs and I have the MySentry downstairs it still picks up his numbers. I think that is because the outpost is upstairs. I don't move that piece. I just keep it in his room. If they every get rid of the MySentry or it doesn't work with the newer model pump then I would go to the Dexcom. I don't want to change to the Dexcom but I would need the monitor near me at night so I can hear the bells and whistles. :D:D
    One more thing, I sleep soo much better with the MySentry. I am not up checking him all night.

3. chrissy92972

chrissy92972 Approved members

We also have the MySentry. We got it for Ryan in June 2012. Paid out of pocket $2600 for it. We were denied by the insurance appealed a few times and then did the final last ditch appeal with another company besides Highmark and it was finally covered.

We were reimbursed what we paid by Highmark. Medtronic billing of course screwed up, but that is another story in itself.

As for the MySentry Ryan is age 10. It is a life saver and I definately do not ever want to live without it. He never hears his pump alarm at night, his brother also does not. The MySentry has allowed me to at least sleep a little bit each night.

I have to admit we did have a ton of trouble with it at first with "not being able to find the pump" alarms but after many phone calls over several months, I finally got to speak with someone at Medtronic who knows what he is doing. He helped us fix the problem and about placement of the outpost and now we are fine.

Chrissy

Ryan Age 10 Diagnosed May 2008 Revel 523, My Sentry

4. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Works well. I love it (except when it loses the signal). Much better than the alternative.

Can be frustrating when it loses the signal and alarms repeatedly.

Haven't filed yet.

I don't have to sleep in DDs room, finagle the lapel microphone system, or use a baby monitor to let me hear the alerts, so it is worth it.

Also, here is a post from another thread "New Medtonic Pump Released" about the possible compatibility.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  5. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

Wonderfully. We rarely get a "unable to find pump" alarm when my son is in his room. Sometimes when he's wrapped up like a burrito in his blankets, one will happen. I'd say at least once a week, but really it doesn't seem often. He does not have any electronics in the room except for his alarm clock and pump. No cell phones, ds's, etc. It works throughout the whole tri-level house no matter where he is.

I think we got a bad outpost the first time. When we trialed it for a few days, we didn't get a single "unable to find pump". Then when we bought it, we got one like 4-5 times a night, every night. (Same outlets as the trial one.) I called a few times, explained the trial one worked fine, and the guy sent me a new outpost. This one works fantastic. Complaints are it's too loud and too bright. I covered the sound holes with a folded tissue and tape, and covered the screen with a cut up blue transparency.

No, paid out of pocket.

Yes. I can't imagine living without it. It's the only way I sleep at night. My son sleeps through his alarms, and I can't hear his pump from my room when he has blankets on. It's worth its price every single low alarm.

Has anyone experienced the device breaking (dropping, power surge, etc.)?
    No. I did drop it and the case moved a bit, causing the warranty sticker to rip a bit, but haven't had any part of it break at all.