- advertisement -

My Son's Friends/D Info - WWYD??

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by HBMom, Nov 17, 2010.

1. HBMom

HBMom Approved members

Apparently, my son's friends think it is funny to steal and eat items out of each other's lunches (he is a freshman in high school). I am SO annoyed by this. My son is not shy, and when this happens to him, he speaks up, but the kids still do not stop. Obviously, this causes an additional problem for him because he pre-boluses for lunch, so he would have too much IOB if he can't eat his entire lunch. So WWYD? He RARELY talks about D with his friends, but I suggested that he talk to one or two at some time other than lunchtime, and explain that he NEEDS to eat his ENTIRE lunch, and what could happen if he doesn't. He isn't thrilled about that.

Another option would be for me to email one or two parents that I know and ask them to tell their kids for us and hope that those kids would spread the word and stick up for my son. I hesitate to do this as I really think that my son, at 14, should be able to take care of this himself??? WWYD???

Thanks, in advance, for the input.

BTW, I have suggested that he get new friends, but that didn't go over too well either:rolleyes:

2. wilf

wilf Approved members

I think this is funny - reminds me of the stupid things we did at that age. I would let him handle it, unless he asks for your help.

Maybe send in a bit of extra food each day, so if he is "robbed" he has some fall back carbs in reserve. Remember it is not an immediate emergency if all the carbs he has bolused don't get eaten. It takes several hours for the insulin to work, and as long as he gets the back up carbs within an hour it should be fine.. :cwds:

3. HBMom

HBMom Approved members

Hmmmm - good idea about extra food for reserve. I think it wouldn't annoy him so much if it happened every once in a while, but it seems to be happening more often lately. I am just too much of a girl - don't get the "guy" humor!!!! Tired of hearing him complain about it!! Also, he only has one class after lunch, so unless he has a basketball game right after school, he could definitely come home for a second "lunch" if he needs to. He did ask me to talk to one of the moms, but I think I am going to leave it up to him for now. I will suggest, though, that he not leave his lunch unattended if possible ;)

4. joan

joan Approved members

I just asked my son what should be done and he said your son needs to tell his friends he has to have his lunch because he has d and the last thing to be done is have you get involved.

5. HBMom

HBMom Approved members

Yes, the more I think about it, the more I know I need to keep out of it. I still would love to know what the heck these kids are thinking when they just take someone else's lunch and eat it!!!

6. wilf

wilf Approved members

They aren't thinking. That's the point. :D

As a group teen boys are about the stupidest thing on earth, though they can be pretty funny.

7. joan

joan Approved members

When my son was younger kids would steal other kids entire lunches. There is something about another persons food when you are hungry. I think it tastes better.

8. selketine

selketine Approved members

I agree that I think he can find a way to deal with it. I also agree that teenage boys have no brains but they can be funny. (I have a newly minted teenager myself - though he is the one without D).:)

On the mom end - maybe you could suggest he stash some food elsewhere in case his lunch walks away and he has to eat - something that will keep like snack bars (breakfast bars, energy bars, even a candy bar) - in his locker (or even the nurse's office if he wanted). You could also suggest he pre-bolus only half his lunch and bolus as he eats for the time being. I'd think after awhile that they will get bored of this and move on to something else.

9. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

On the practical side, we ask Chris to carry about 60g of carb. A pack of Skittles will do. That way, if something prevents him from eating after bolusing, he still has enough carb. Of course this has to be in his pocket or somewhere where his buddies won't steal it.

10. HBMom

HBMom Approved members

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will suggest the 1/2 and 1/2 bolusing (not sure he would remember the 2nd 1/2 though) as well as the stash of skittles - see what he would like to do, and hope that he can just let it go when the other kids do dumb things. My son has a bit of a different personality - we saw a t-shirt that he wanted to buy - it says CSI - and under it, it says "CAN'T STAND IDIOT'S" - funny to him and to me, but I am not sure if it would offend too many teenage boys :D

11. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

This is a good idea, the only problem with it is that if her son is anything like my 15 year old...they are too hormonally challenged/scatterbrained to remember to eat the carbs later:eek::D;)

12. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

have him pre dose for a small portion of his lunch and dose for the rest afterwards.

13. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Hmmm... funny to them and to you apparently :D

I have three girls and now a boy... I can see some stark differences already. Lord, help me :eek:

14. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

My 13 yr old was having the same problem at school. But, he only boluses a item as he eats it. Causes spikes in BG doing it this way though.

15. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

When I taught 14 year olds, my favorite trick was excuse giving.

As in "I'd love to run with you guys after school, but my stupid hard-@ss teacher is making me take that makeup test" for the kid who wanted to avoid something nasty after school . . . .

It's good for them to take care of things themselves, but it can feel rotten to tell your friends, "You're making me anxious (and irritated) about how to get enough carbs to match my insulin with this (stupid) game". But "Guys, I can't goof like this anymore, you'll have to leave me out of it, my stupid mom gets all in a tizzy if I don't eat the carbs I have counted out for my insulin. She's so on my case all the time, it's really a PITA."

He takes care of it, but gets to blame you.

Hope y'all find something that works well.

16. HBMom

HBMom Approved members

I do always tell my teens that they can feel free to blame their "good decisions" on me:D.

He hasn't complained lately about the food issues, so maybe they have moved on to other "lunchtime entertainment"!

17. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

18. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

My Teenager would have loved that shirt. He had one a few years ago that said something to the effect of Loser-Someone who takes the time to read all the silly sayings on other people's shirts.

He got his teacher and principal to read it and they both thought it was funny:)