- advertisement -

My Sentry Released

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by HERMSman, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Ahhhh...I see now......

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  2. selketine

selketine Approved members

I'm always curious when people post about tinkering with their devices to see what makes them work or to make changes. I'd be curious to hear a report if you were able to make a something that worked for personal use. I don't use MM cgms so no personal interest in obtaining it.

I think even if you came up with a slam dunk perfect device that MM or the FDA or someone would prevent it from being produced and sold (in the USA anyway) due to copyright or restrictions on medical devices, etc.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

"Discuss" LOL, yeah right, no "tone" issues here:rolleyes:

4. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

From DiabetesMine:
    SHAME on you Medtronics for this outrageous price gouging!!!! :eek: :mad: You have got to be kidding me. Uh, hello, I already have the gardian unit which only costs like 600 bucks and receives the same signal as the revel at the same time. What the sentry offers is distance. Are you really charging 2400 for distance?! This is basically a glorified baby monitor--awesome yes, but 2500 beans? Come on! There's no way I would pay oop for this when I can order up a gardian unit covered by ins. and stick it in a glass of pennies to hear the alarm. Sure this is way better but not THAT much better. And no ins co in their right minds would pay for this. This pricing is an INSULT and another thick line between the haves and the have-nots. For SHAME!

5. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

Sums it up for a lot of us, I'm sure.

6. Style mom

Style mom Approved members

Yeah, I really agree, except I suspect that some insurance companies will pay.

Does anyone have conact info for a higher-up at Medtronic diabetes? We should flood them with e-mails.

7. Freudie1

Freudie1 Approved members

The real rub? The simple fact that MM didn't design the sensor and the pump to have a WIRED option between the two!

Had they implemented this extremely simple option we could have used baby monitors with little to no issue minus the obvious privacy issues. Case in point: For those that haven't tried the baby monitor idea, good luck. I've gone through 10 different models/brands/frequencies/etc and they ALL wind up interferring with the signal between the sensor and the pump resulting in signal lost errors. Not fun.

8. khannen

khannen Approved members

Lol! My thoughts exactly carol ;) I guess my two yrs with Navigator really spoiled me here regarding the Sentry.

9. denise3099

I am really just SO mad. When I read they were giving 500 off if you buy a pump, I thought, wait, how much does this thing cost?! I nearly fell off my chair when i read the price. That's MORE than the CGM itself!!!!!! The revel cgm kit is like less than a grand, and the gardian kit is like 1200. You want more than twice that to do what the gardian should do anyway, which is receive sensor input from more than 3 feet away? Are you kidding me? :eek:Seriously, I'm irate. :mad:

I'm looking on the website for someplace to send my complaints.

10. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

Very well put.
    FWIW I doubt any insurance company is going to pay for this. it is not "medically necessary" but is a device that is supposed to make looking at the data on the pump less hassle.

11. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I am absolutely disappointed in MM at the cost of this stupid thing. SO many parents, including myself, have been waiting for this device, a device that could make our lives a bit more relaxed. The pricing is definitely outrageous. It doesn't DO ANYTHING but get the readings from the pump. I'm absolutely so disappointed that a device that I desprately want for my child, for peace of mind, I can get because of the price. Our insurance company is FANTASTIC about paying for the things that K needs, but I'd have a difficult time making this device 'medically necassary' for them to consider paying for it. I just don't get WHY its so expensive. Its a receiver with a pretty face.:mad:

12. caspi

caspi Approved members

I agree. While I am not a MM user, I can see how this could be a great thing to have! I think these companies make enough money off of us with the pump & CGMS supplies that we need to purchase monthly, not to mention the prices of the pumps and CGMS to begin with. IMO, there is no way they can justify the cost of this, period. :mad:

13. Jilleighn

Jilleighn Approved members

I completely agree the price tag is very hard to take in. It about knocked me on my bottom when I saw it. Although my husband feels that the price is 100% worth it in our home. Once it arrives it will be the first time in over 3 years that my bedroom will belong back to my husband and I. Since Loren was DX we set a bed in our room so I didn't have to go up and down the stairs every 2 hrs (myself or my husband). I wake up every 2 hrs whether there is an alarm or not just to see what her blood sugar is. It has put a strain on our marriage because having her in our room. If I can just roll over and see the blood sugar on a screen and not have to get up it will make it easier for us. I know it sounds crazy, but we feel it is something that is needed.

14. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Maybe you could tell people more details about your production of this device. Is it just you or do you have qualified engineers working for you? Where will it be manufactured? How much will you charge? Will you be applying for FDA approval?

15. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Our rep has been beyond fabulous to work with, but overall, I think Medtronic could learn a lot about customer satisfaction skills from Accu-chek. My daughter is very loyal to her Accu-chek meter because....they gave her over a year's worth of skins for her meter, plus a complementary meter AND one with a Multi-clix for her friend and two Rufus', test solution, batteries. Need I go on?

But for her new Medtronic pump, the skins are $14.:eek: Needless to say, her pump is naked. She's debating putting zebra stripe duck tape on it...but her mom DOESN'T want the warrranty voided for any reason!

16. Style mom

Well, again, our insurance paid for our Guardian knowing full well that we have integrated CGM (many others on this board have had the same experience), and we use the Guardian as a device that makes looking at the data on the pump less hassle. So I do think there's a decent chance that some insurance will pay.

17. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

The prices they put up are just numbers, if you're insured and your insurance wants to cover it. Insurance haggles and comes up with a totally unrelated price.

Dexcom sensors' list price is over 400 dollars. Paying out of pocket, they charged me 289 dollars. Once insurance was paying, the price was 260 per box. So who gets charged the list price? I have no idea.

18. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

Our insurance also paid for both because we asked for a pump (the Revel) and a CGM (the Guardian). The Revel is just a pump whether it has an integrated CGM or not. It's possible to get the Revel as a pump and never use the CGM part of it, so as far as insurance is concerned, it is just a pump. The Guardian is just a CGM, so when we asked insurance to pay for a pump and a CGM, the pump was the Revel and the CGM was the Guardian. This is no different than when we were with Animas and asked for a pump and later a CGM and got a 2020 pump and a Dexcom CGM.

The important thing was that we DID NOT ask for the CGM start-up kit to come with the Revel pump. Had we done that, the pump would have then been considered both a pump and CGM and insurance would not have also paid for the Guardian receiver (because that makes two CGM's). So we received the CGM start-up kit with the Guardian receiver, NOT WITH THE PUMP.

Still haven't started using the pump or CGM yet, so signature still says Animas...

19. denise3099

I agree with Jacob's dad. Here's the thing--you get the gardian b/c you may not want to use the pump all the time. Or you may take a break. Or you may switch to animas, or lose it or break it. What happens to your pump should have nothing to do with your cgm which you should be able to use independently. That the revel also acts as a receiver is a convinience to you. When an MRI machine fried dd's pump I was glad I had her cgm and gardian. I needed more than ever on mdi while I waited over a holiday weekend to get her new pump.

I don't see ins paying for it whatever the cost since there is no way, other than a parent or caregiver being deaf, that this could possibly be medically relevant. the cost is outrageous because almost everyone has to pay oop. It's not that its so expensive so now ins won't pay--it's that ins wasn't gonna pay anyway and now I can't afford it. Plus I'm just mad and insulted that they would price this so high when it's just a longer distance gardian that costs more than twice as much.

20. Style mom

Believe me, I'm irritated about the price too. And I find it especially irritating that we're expected to be grateful for the opportunity to pay $2,400 for a device that essentially just fixes a defect in the original product (alarms that aren't loud enough).

However, Medtronic isn't completely stupid, and I think they know that most people will not pay $2,400 for this thing OOP. That tells me one of two things: (1) This is just a "gateway" product that they had to get through the FDA so that something actually novel and useful can come along; or (2) They've done some checking with insurance companies and have learned that at least some of them will cover this product. I suspect both of these things are true.