- advertisement -

My Sentry Released

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by HERMSman, Jan 4, 2012.

1. HERMSman

HERMSman Approved members

2. Style mom

Style mom Approved members

I have only the most basic understanding of what that means, but it really irritates me (toward Medtronic, not you, HERMSman).

Cash price is $2,400. No one's going to pay that. It's all going to come down to whether insurance will cover it or not.

3. HERMSman

HERMSman Approved members

I hope insurance will cover it. It should be a great product, but I have not tested it. I also think the RF frequency of the pump also makes it a US-only model at this time.

4. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

Does the "outpost" that has to be within 6 feet of the child when it is going to work, have batteries or does it have to be plugged in?
    It would be best if it has both a plug option and a way to use batteries.

does anyone know?

5. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

I just really wonder how insurance will cover it as a "medically necessary" device just so us parents do not have to get up and physically check on our children. I get that cgms can be described as necessary but this seems like more of a convenience device. I would love to have the device but I wonder just how people are going to get insurance to cover it???

6. lisanc

lisanc Approved members

Thank you for posting the information

7. bradclark

bradclark Approved members

Where are you getting that price? I didn't see it on any of the links.

8. lotsoftots

lotsoftots Approved members

I talked to my rep today she said any wheres from 2000 to 2400 there will be a payment plan for 1 year she thinks...

I went to this link I couldnt get it to work..my rep sent me this one
    http://www.medtronicdiabetes.net/products/mySentry

9. selketine

selketine Approved members

Why is it so expensive? It is essentially a receiver and I expected the price would be more like a cgms receiver.

This could be a big selling point for them vs. Dexcom - at least to parents - but paying that price is ridiculous. I can't imagine insurance would go for it.

The Navigator - with all its baggage - at least picked up the signal from long distances - and had loud alarms - and if they were still selling them I could by two for just the cost of the My Sentry receiver - and still have $400 left over to pay for the mental health counseling you need if you try to deal with Abbott customer service....:p

10. bradclark

bradclark Approved members

I've just sent an email to my rep, as well. Thanks!

11. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

I was really hoping the decimal point was in error, so I called Medtronic. It is $2400.00. :(

12. Freudie1

Freudie1 Approved members

Cross posting this for you guys/gals:

The video on the minimed website shows the outpost must be <6 feet away from the pump to intercept the signal from the pump.

As for price, I JUST got off the phone with MM as one of my daughter's pumps (I have two T1 kids), warranty expired last month and we are getting the Revel.

The MySentry is a list of $3000, they are offering a "promotion" (note TODAY is the first day it has been released/available, so this is comical) for $2400.00. The rep did tell me there are additional discounts if you buy it with a pump at the same time for around $1900.00.

I can tell you for a fact that the pricing is ridiculous. The actual engineering of such a device is trivial, especially for what it can not do (its a monitoring system only, not two-way, etc).

Also, this still relies on the same horribly designed (I can debate this all day long as the FEW people I know that like it are greatly deluded by what little value it actually offers) and expensive CGMS system that has been out for a few years now from MM. There is supposedly a new glucose sensor on the way, but no actual details/dates are released.

In a nutshell, someone needs to form a dedicated T1 device company. They need to be foot in butt mode with the FDA. They need to stop letting profits drive quality in terms of these devices. They need to LISTEN to the actual users of the devices, incorporate said changes, AND work with the FDA (re: foot in butt mode) so that these devices don't take 10 years to get approval (you DO know how old the interface on the Paradigm pumps are right? Long story).

13. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

We need someone to create an app so we can read the cgms on our phones. ;)

14. Freudie1

What a novel idea (note smirk on my face from agreement).

This (and many other ideas) are what are so easily implemented (and more importantly typical and expected!) in the consumer world. Think iPhone/Droid/etc.

Yet, due to FDA, testing, legislation, profits, poor engineering, you can expect rarely if ever see such things.

Case in point:

What would one need to monitor cgms readings via a phone EFFECTIVELY (key word there):

Simple: Add a GSM modem to the pump. The pump would then send updates to a service that hosts a server(s) to store data for each customer. Your app would log into the service over the web and report the #s. As a parent you could/should even be able to MODIFY the pump settings via this same app.

Think this is nuts? Go look at www.alarm.com (I use this for our home security). 100% same concept and it works/has worked for years. It also costs less than a $1000 to install and $20/month to subscribe to. I'm sure if MM released such a thing it would be $5000 to "upgrade" to and $3000/year to subscribe to.

Sick eh?

15. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

In order for insurance to cover this, its going to have to have a billing code. Does MM have a billing code, that they can release for insurance purposes?

16. Style mom

Style mom Approved members

Yeah, it will be an uphill battle. Medtronic has a "MySentry Reimbursement Tool Kit" on their website. It sort of walks you through what they think you'll need to do to get reimbursement. I suspect they've talked to some big insurance companies and have a notion that it will be covered by some of them, because no one is going to pay OOP for this thing. I will say that many people (including us) have received coverage for a Guardian unit even though we have integrated CGM, and this really isn't much different than that.

I called Medtronic this morning.

In the "MySentry Reimbursement Tool Kit" there is a Durable Medical Equipment Coverage Request Form. On that form, they have filled in the Item Description as the mySentry Remote Glucose Monitor, and there is a "HCPCS" (not sure what that is) number filled in of E1399. Could that be the billing code?

17. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

I don't know - I might be tempted to pay OOP. I figure I'll be checking BGs several times a night for at least the next 5 years - 1825 days - that works out at $1.32 per day - I spend a lot more than that on coffee. And if it means I can sleep more soundly and not have to listen to every toss, turn, fart :p and the constant static.... He would also have more privacy as he gets older and that starts to matter to him.

18. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

I'd be very interested to hear exactly WHY the regulatory review process took so long, and what changes occurred during that process.

While revolutionary and pretty outstanding in concept, I agree that the cost is pretty prohibitive on this and, realistically, this will likely be obsolete to some degree at a point in the not-so-distant future (interpret as you will what that term means...).

Specifically, I say that because of the FDA Mobile Apps guidelines being considered and the more-recent news of the iGlucose system being FDA-approved. We're on the way to getting this CGM, BG, and even pump monitoring data integrated into mobile devices that certainly wouldn't cost anywhere near what the MySentry is. And my guess, the more mainstream this trend becomes, the less proprietary it will become and that will significantly decrease the desire to purchase this - even as a part of a package.

But we'll see.

In the meantime, props to MM for being first.

19. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

The fact that it only works with one pump sucks for families with more than one pumper. That it just plain ridiculous, especially at that price.

20. Freudie1

If you are really interested

I 100% agree with some of the frustrated posts I have read. While quite a few of you have apparently decided I have a "tone" issue, I can tell you that most of you appear to have equal irritation with MM. Here we go:

I can/do have the resources and means to produce devices of this nature at significantly less prices and with much more features.

However, the following would apply:

This would be on a "hobby" level only with no support. Profit would be close to nil and the whole offering would be to help other frustrated MM CGMS users/parents.

The use of a fancy screen may or may not be involved.

Two-way communication would be supported.

Curious about interest level. If its only 1 or 2 people I'll create a prototype for personal use and post about it when appropriate. If there is mass interest I can take this to production level.

Discuss.