- advertisement -

My neighbor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by KitKat, Feb 16, 2009.

1. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

File a claim with the state insurance commissioner's office. Take pictures and document everything. She committed insurance fraud. She had to pocket the money. If you take her to small claims court, you will definitely need the pictures. Proof is tatamount to getting her in a legal way. Pictures speak a thousand words. Oh and if she cut your trees and ruined them, you may have another claim as well. Here in Washington if someone cuts your trees and ruins them and does so without your permission you can get up to 3 times the value of the tree. Of course you will have to find out the laws in your state.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  2. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

How much is it to take care of? Definitely she was wrong and insurance fraud no doubt - great point.

I could see my husband and I (maybe more me) trying to keep some resemblance of peace though neighbor to neighbor. That's probably wrong.

I'd just rather be peaceful out in my yard in the future than fight with this neighbor in court for the next year or two (and very uncomfortable after that). Certainly it sounds like you have every right to fight her on this. She sounds unstable, and unreasonable. These types of people don't change in my experience.

I'm so sorry you have to live with this. Really really stinks!!!!!!!!!!! Hugs!!!!

3. ScottB

ScottB Approved members

I would definitely get the police involved and take lots of pictures.

4. diamondback688

diamondback688 Approved members

Why am I not surprised you would do something like this, Alyce?:D:D;):p

5. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

I'm with deafmack, this is insurance fraud. While it may not seem like a huge deal, people who commit insurance fraud are one of the reasons our home and auto insurance rates keep going up!!

Im sorry you have to live near some like that!!

6. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

Sorry you are having to deal with an awful neighbor.. I hope that you can get some kinda of conclusion out of this..

7. Lee

Lee Approved members

Sounds criminal to me - not just with the insurance - but with vandalizing your property and trespassing...

8. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

I am thinking it is time to get legal/police involved, both for insurance fraud and for vandelism to your property. This seems like it is getting abit more then just a neighborly grudge. Hopefully if you get the police involved she will see this is a serious issue and will stop the childish behavior.

9. KitKat

KitKat Approved members

We don't use our fireplace but I could put a big sign out and tell people to haul it off and it is yours!! I am sure this would tick her off.

My husband is going to talk with her tonight. I am calling our neighbor who is the Mayor and former police chief and speak with him.

BUT I think I will do the chant thing....OR (my students are doing Wizard of Oz) and grab the witch shoes (the hose and the ruby slippers) and lay them next to her house.....maybe she will get the hint!!!:D

10. Sari

Sari Approved members

I would try to give the wood away too and then I would thank her for dumping it back on your property because you wound up getting $500 for it! ;)

Plus, if she can't hndle living in a neighborhood and having NEIGHBORS - then she shouldn't have moved there. Sh!t happens, she better get used to it!

11. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

If the limbs were that big, could she possibly have spent the $150 insurance money to *hire* someone to throw the branches/limbs over your fence? In that case, she wouldn't have committed insurance fraud, but she would have done something that the police could be involved in.

I think I'd start with the county/township first to see what they can find out about the whole situation.
    Eileen

12. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

lol. :D ....

13. BozziesMom

:confused: lol. What are you saying? :D

14. diamondback688

diamondback688 Approved members

I'm saying you're a little out there.:D;):p

Kidding, of course. LOL

15. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

:eek: But Alyce and I are so alike, I would do what she suggested in a heart beat..Don't ever ask me about the time someone came to my house selling religion or what I did to make it so they never came to my house ever again :rolleyes:

16. BozziesMom

I'm asking. What did you do?

17. BozziesMom

Dh would agree with you. Why do you think he married me? He's not the marrying kind. Until I came along. :eek:

18. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

I will PM you what I did :p:eek::D

19. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

What Kim said :)

20. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Okay. What she did sucks. She's obviously a miserable woman, and a crappy neighbor. I hope karma bites her on her big old butt.

But, my advice to you is to do nothing. The police...probably won't care. Yes, technically it could be a criminal issue. But they're going to ask where the evidence is that she did this. The standard in criminal law is high, and that, combined with the fact that this isn't the crime of the year, is probably going to get you nowhere fast.

Small claims court. You could do this, but your only remedy is probably if you pay someone to haul the branches away, and then ask the court to pay you damages. If you clean it up yourself, you generally can't be compensated for your own time. So you'd have to lay out the money first and then hope to win in court. And then you'll have to collect that judgment. That could involve more court time, and is probably outside the skill level of most non-lawyers.

I'm not saying any of this because I don't believe you're in the right. I'm saying it because the legal system is so ill-equipped to deal with events like this that even though you're in the right, your best option is probably to let it drop. And dress up like Bozzie'sMom suggested.