- advertisement -

My Insane Teacher

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Ithilfey, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Ithilfey

Ithilfey Approved members

I have a teacher tell me that I couldn't go get my meter! I tried to be nice, but she wouldn't listen. Then I told her that I was getting it whether she liked it or not because telling a diabetic that they can't get their meter is illegal and walked out.:eek:

2. Dylan

Dylan Approved members

Was it a sub.

3. tylerbetic

tylerbetic Approved members

good on you I would have done the same thing

4. Ithilfey

No, actually. It was the computer tech who I usually get along with very well.

5. Boo

Boo Approved members

way to stand up for yourself!

6. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Awesome job!!! That's EXACTLY what you should have done, but you already know that don't you...;):D

7. Ithilfey

I knew I was doing the right thing, but I wondered if I was a bit harsh. What really shocked me was just that she did it at all. We are usually are great terms.:D:cool:;):eek:

8. Lauren :)

Lauren :) Approved members

at least it was a teacher, i had a girl ask me if i was drug addict and she went and got a teacher before i could explain :D

9. Ithilfey

I always thought that finding out if someone is a drug addict before telling the teacher is common courtesy:D:cool:;).

10. Lauren :)

Lauren :) Approved members

i wish :D so wats ur worst diabetes story?

11. skimom

skimom Approved members

Good work

Hi
    I'm a teacher and mom of 2 diabetic kids. You advocated for yourself - don't apologize. You need to do what you need to stay healthy My only other advice is to have your parents phone the school and offer to come in and talk to staff about what your needs are and the implications of not allowing you to deal with your diabetes(they will respond better to an educational opportunity rather than a confrontation) Educate these people about what can happen - they would feel awful if something did happen to you.Communicate, communicate communicate!
    The comment by someone else re a sub is a little harsh - the school should be informing all subs about any exceptional needs of any student the sub might encounter .
    I hope you also have a buddy in your classes that can advocate for you as well if you are really struggling with a low blood sugar.

12. Ithilfey

Well, I had all the symptoms,but my mom, a registered nurse, never put them together. I went to my grandmother's house on July 4 and got really sick after eating some chips. Ironicly, my dad's car broke down and had to hitch an ambulance back to my grandmother's house so that he could call AAA. When he got there, he decided to take me to the doctor. I found out I was 1 day away from going into a coma.:D:cool:;)

What's yours?

13. xDiabetic_Rockerx

xDiabetic_Rockerx Approved members

awesome!

I'd so do that too. If u had an urgent problem (if you were low, feeling faint) it would be the teachers fault not urs. Im glad u stood up for what u had to and walked out to get it :)

14. BobbyJackElmo

BobbyJackElmo Approved members

My story

In 3rd grade my teacher was supposed to have me test my blood before every test/quiz she didnt one day and made me take a HUGE test and i got an F then told my mom to stop blaming it on my Diabetes now she works at Nemours!Then last year in private school i went to dance class i told my teacher my bg was low she gave me a peppermint and made me go dance agian and by the way i was almost 40!then i had a sezuir on the way home...recently i was told i have a kidney prob i told my sub at skool i needed to go to the bathroom and that i had a kidny problem she didnt let me go she said i was lying talk about getting me PO!

15. lindsayxo15

lindsayxo15 Approved members

My art teacher told me one time that i had to change the days of my appointments because they were always falling on the days i had her class. Also one tmie the same teacher wouldnt let me test in the middle of her class and she started yelling at me in front of everyone. I almost got her fired which would of made everyone happy since no one likes her anyway. She also told my friend one time that she wasnt allowed to go get her inhailer in the middle of class that she could do it in the next class. i was so mad.... that teacher should be fired lol :D

16. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Hmmm...PMS????

17. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

My son's art teacher didn't believe him once when he told her he had low blood sugar. He persisted and she finally let him go to the nurse's office by himself...he's supposed to be accompanied. :eek:

18. Ithilfey

Dude, and I thought I had had it bad!!! I hate that teacher and I've never even met her!!! My worst story by far was that I was 29 (my lowest) in the car on my way to the airport to go to Canada. That was really scarey.

19. volund

volund Approved members

LOL

but anyways, that teacher should really get some training on what you need to do to keep control of your D

20. Ithilfey

LOL...Don't think so though. The teacher and I are back to normal now:)