- advertisement -

My Garden...

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by KeltonsMom, Mar 16, 2009.

1. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

The past few weeks Kelton has been out turning the area that we will be planting our garden, he finished it up last week and he and I drove into town for some composted cow poop to mix into the sand.

Well we started seeds inside and we now have the green beans, and the corn planted. Next week the cucumbers and the zucchini, and maybe the bell peppers will be ready to go out. Then the week after that the tomatoes and the broccoli will be ready to be planted.

We started snow peas in the ground and they are already coming up.

I installed a drip system so this time around everything will get the much needed water.

Forgot to mention that the garden area is 1/4 acre :eek:

I think I need to learn how to can and the proper way to freeze all of these veggies we hope we will be getting..The garden area is rabbit proof and we put netting over the top to prevent birds from getting in.

2. bz'smom

bz'smom Approved members

There is nothing better than veggies fresh from the garden. I *love* all the veggies you are planted raw from the garden, especially the green beans. Yum! Now, I'm hungry for green beans! lol

Freezing/canning is so easy & it tastes so much better than the stuff you buy. Do some research on-line & you will do a great job. I think Betty Crocker has some good information on canning/freezing.

3. KeltonsMom

Okay great, I will research online to see what I need to do..I do know that before freezing anything I need to blanch them first, but I will read up on the whole process.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I envy you! My garden is way too cold and mucky to even think about planting yet:(
    Enjoy!!

5. JacksonsMom

JacksonsMom Approved members

Growing up my Dad would have HUGE garden every year. I have very found memories of us working together in the garden as a family. My mom would can and can and can some more and then freeze as well!

One of my favorite things are canned tomatoes from the garden. They are so good in chili's, soups, sauces in the winter!

Look at a vacume sealer for freezing. You would just blanch the vegtables and then vacume seal them for freezing.

I bet you could fill up that chest freezer!

6. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

that's amazing! I'm so glad you're just forging ahead with life, with all the upheavals you've had with the dh. :)

7. KeltonsMom

I gave myself 3 weeks to mourn the loss of my marriage, I have no more tears to shed over him.

My priority in life is to make good memories for Kelton, and he and I will be fine just the two of us.

It was Kelton's idea that we grow our own food to save money. He told me his next project is to use the post hole digger so that we can section off some of the land for a steer and a lamb. He called around and found a butcher in town who will process the meat for us.

I may have to get a large chest freezer at this rate :D

8. LizinTX

LizinTX Approved members

I am so sorry, I guess I missed a post or something.....Big hugs.

I would love to see a picture of your garden when it is all leafed out.

9. KeltonsMom

I have not openly told anyone about the breakup, and kept to myself these past few weeks...

10. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

I'm sorry that you had to go through that. :(

My favorite garden vegetable is corn. :) (need a lip smacking smiley here!) I love raw peas, too. But I DON'T like all the work a garden is! I'm too lazy! :)

11. KeltonsMom

Kelton and I both enjoy the work that goes along with gardening..Nothing better than getting my hands in the soil when weeding..:D

12. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

Teddi I am sorry. :( I agree there is not much better than being able to play in dirt and pull weeds when life gets to me.

(((HUgs))) If there is anything we can do please ask.

13. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

Teddi, with your track record, I'm betting Bugs and Tweety are on their way over right about now! :rolleyes::D:eek: And you'll adopt them both and then they'll all enjoy your veggies!