- advertisement -

My first sick day! Ugggg!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Arleigh9003, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Arleigh9003

Arleigh9003 Approved members

Ok. So last night was my first "sick day"
    Holy hell that was horrible. I feel as if I am still shaking.
    My son is 20 m old and was dx'd sept 2012.
    How much extra insulin does everyone usually end up giving just to get semi normal numbers ?
    It's like a double edge sword bc not only am I fighting to keep his numbers down bc of the cold, but he is also a toddler and snacks all day , not to mention the bottle of milk he has glued to his hand!

2. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

I find it helpful to think in terms of percents. Start increasing with whatever % you are most comfortable with, I generally start with 10%, but that's with a much older child. If you don't see improvement you can keep increasing. There's plenty of trial and error involved when it comes to sick days.

One note- if you are on a pump then 10% may not be enough to actually give an increased basal amount based on the way the pump rounds down. If you need help figuring out what temp basal would work, post your basal amounts and someone will walk you through how to figure that out.

3. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

I feel for you. My dd was 19 months at dx. Colds are short lived at least. If he is high he needs more insulin. It will pass soon.

4. shannong

shannong Approved members

Someone on the forum once told me they up the basal insulin by 20% and this number has worked well for us. However, my son is much older - 7yrs, so take that into consideration.