- advertisement -

My daughter was diagnosed last Monday for Type I

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by tesa, Mar 4, 2009.

1. tesa

tesa Approved members

Hi Everyone:

So glad to have found this website! :) My daughter was diagnosed last Monday, I am trying to learn and soak up as much info as I can. She is 11 years old, in 6th grade at a public middle school. She went back to school on Monday, we went to the Doctor's office for the first time Tuesday, and she is back to school today. I am very lucky to have a supportive family, our friend's daughter also has Type I. They were the ones to come over to our house last Monday and check my daughter, Ally's, blood sugar and she was over 600 (off their meter). We went straight to the hospital and life has changed. We are trying to get into a new normal. I feel that my husband and I are going through a grieving process, which I know is normal. As far as Ally is concerned, she is such a trooper. She has handled and accepted this far better than her parents. Now in saying that, I am wondering if she is going to break down ever or is she more capable of handling this? It seems she has just accepted it way too well.

I am happy to be here to have the extra support. I am trying to get this in all ways I can. Even though I can call my friend as stated above, any more help is so appreciated. I have already checked other posts and wrote down names of books to get, etc.

We are on a very tight budget as most people in MI are. Are there any free resources available? Anything we can sign up for to receive free things in the mail, etc?

Thanks for all your input.

Stephanie
    Mom to Ally, age 11, dx'd 2/23/09

2. mrcool

mrcool Approved members

Hi! We also live in Michigan and our baby son was diagnosed 12 days ago. Your diabetes clinic might have told you about it, but in Michigan they have Children's Special Health Care Services, which covers kids with diabetes. It would act as your secondary health insurance (covering co-pays etc.) or even as primary for your child if you don't have a health insurance. You would pay a monthly premium depending on your income, but only up to 200 dollars.

All the best to you, everybody tells me it does get easier, but we're still in grieving too!

3. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

Welcome. You definitely found the right place for support. It's great you have someone in your life who's got experience with it to help you through.

4. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

Welcome, but i am sorry you had to find us. This place has been a life saver for me. I am so glad you have a friend going through the same thing. I think it will help alot.

5. Reese'sMom

Reese'sMom Approved members

Welcome,

We're glad to have you with us 'here' even though we all wish we could have 'met' under different circumstances. It's great that you have a friend near you with a type 1 child. I know a couple of type 1 families in our neighborhood, but not all that well. What's nice about asking questions here, is that you will get several different points of view, and you won't feel like you're "bothering" anyone with your questions, venting, or story-telling. It's all OK here.

My only "free" tip, is to check out your library for diabetes books. Ours had all of them, and I checked them out and read the ones I liked.

6. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Stephanie and welcome to the family. We are a HUGE family here that really care and support one another. This is a great place to come for support, advice, info, shoulders to cry on and lots of people who understand you. We also have the parents chat room theres usually someone in there to chat with. We dont have money either so I come here alot for support and info also the library can get books usually if you ask, that way you can borrow the books your interested in and read them before buying them.

7. tesa

tesa Approved members

Thank you everyone. I am the type of person who needs this support to get through this. And Heather, you put into words exactly how I feel sometimes that I might be bothering my friends, I hate to keep calling about every little thing. Even though they would not care, it just helps to have any support and help in other avenues. It is nice to be able to talk to people who are on this same journey.

It is funny, I have already looked up library resources. The 2 books I really wanted are checked out until March 17. So it makes me wonder if someone else's child was just diagnosed, too.

Thank you for the info on Children's Special Services, mrcool. We did have a social worker come to us in the hospital and she said we would be receiving something in the mail about this. I have been looking for it every day. I know we will have to pay something for it, so we have to look at how much money is going out a month as opposed to how much this service will cost. Best wishes to you, too. I am sorry we both are going through this, but knowledge and learning all we can will help us to get through even better.

So much to comprehend, but I am eager to know as much as I can to help my daughter. She is so amazing and I am so proud of her!

Thanks to all of you who post and care!

Stephanie
    Mom to Ally, age 11, dx'd 2/23/09

8. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

Hi Stephanie! Welcome to CWD! You'll find this a great place to be because everyone understands what you are going through! And no question is dumb, so ask away! :) We all were new at this once and we understand how overwhelming it can feel. I remember being new and feeling like I'd never understand what everyone was talking about. But guess what? I do now. :) (well, almost everything as we haven't started pumping yet so that will be a new learning curve!)

9. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Welcome and so sorry you had to join the club. You will find a lot of support and knowlegde here! I have 2 daughters with diabetes, and found that they both handled it better than we did! They have their down days, and my teenager definetly struggled when she didn't want to be different (even after having it for close to 10 years!). My youngest was diagnosed at 8, and never cried, never said "why me" until months after diagnosis. She woke up crying in the middle of the night and I ran to her room thinking she was sick. She said she had just realized that diabetes was forever and that it wasn't going to go away. Of course with her big sis having it, she knew it already, but it became reality at that time. She was just really sad. I think she needed to cry and just let me hear her be sad. It broke my heart, and it's really hard to hear them, but at the same time I was so proud of her. You and your daughter are still very early in the process. She will amaze you, and you will be there for her when she needs to be sad, or mad or hugged. This is a great place....looking forward to getting to know you! Sharon

10. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Hello,
    I just wanted to say welcome, but sorry you have to be here. You have found a great site for support and information. The early days are very tough, you are overwhelmed emotionally, sleep deprived, and scared. But over time you will become more comfortable dealing with all the things you need to do to live with this illness. You will find a "new normal" believe it or not and things will get into more of a routine. All the parents here are proof of that.

Here are some books you may find useful:

The "bible" of childhood diabetes, "Understanding Diabetes" (aka The Pink Panther book) by Dr. Peter Chase of the Barbara Davis Center at the University of Colorado.

Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin [ILLUSTRATED] by Gary Scheiner, Barry Goldstein

Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace, Second Edition by Betty Page Brackenridge, MS, RD, CDE & Richard R. Rubin, PhD, CDE. Published by the American Diabetes Association, 2002. 250 pages. Softcover. US$16.95.

Type 1 Diabetes: A Guide for Children, Adolescents and Young Adults -- and Their Caregivers by Ragnar Hanas, M.D. Published by Marlowe & Company, New York, 2005. ISBN 1-56924-396-4. US$34.95.

Not sure what your school situation is, but here is a link to a thread that has a lot of info about dealing with schools.

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=20042

Finally, in addition to the forums there is a chat room here where you can talk to other parents in "real time".

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/chat/

Hang in there :cwds:

11. candise

candise Approved members

Hi there,
    I also have an 11 year old diagnosed 2/6/09 she is in 6th grade as well. I have 2 sisters with type 1 diabetic daughters. I can tell you that I have really enjoyed this site. I love my sister's but I get such a different view point from other people. We have very different personalities(she is much more laid back then me) so alot of her advice would drive me nuts. I have always thought she was too hands off with my niece's diabetes care- so the last thing I want to do is get her opinion-combine that with the fact that my niece was diagnosed 8 years ago(at the age of 7) and we are worlds apart.
    I can teel you that my daughter has been amazing about everything since diagnosis. She has lost it a couple times (Valetine's party and about samples at Costco the 2 most memorable). We have tried making changes for everyone to make it easier. As far as help for the cost of things- your endo can be a great resource. Ours gave us free meters, copay assistance cards and samples of everything he could. Please keep in touch and let us know how your daughter is doing.

12. tesa

tesa Approved members

Thank you everyone. You have been so kind and helpful. It helps so much to know others are like us. I am definitely more emotional this week. I cry all the time. My worst time is when my daughter is in the bathtub and I go upstairs and call a friend and cry. That is the time where I can break down and she will not see me. She is the cutest. I have been going into her school this week and giving her shots and she grabs her lunch, and says Bye Mom, and just takes off! She can't wait to get back to her friends.

I am wondering when I will be able to let her stay at a friend's house, if ever. She has already asked and I told her I would rather have the friend stay at our house because this is all so new. She was okay with that but for how long? We are trying to keep everything close to normal (but what is normal anymore?). We have gone to high school basketball games, she has taken a friend, had a friend over.

But I am so exhausted at night, I cannot even stay awake. I fall asleep on the couch and sometimes she has to wake me up for her nighttime snack. My husband has been great, too. He has been waking up in the night and checking her sugar, does shots when he gets home, etc. He is soaking up as much info as he can through magazines and books. When do we stop waking her up or should we always? Now I have been reading about nocturnal hypoglycemia and it is scaring me to death. I can't even get a good nights sleep, I wake up worrying every half hour. I even dream about diabetes and in my dreams, I am crying to people! It is crazy. I know it sounds worse than it really is, I am coping better during the day and I do have great supportive, helpful people around me.

Questions, questions. Anyways, just had to ramble a little. Thank you again everyone for being there! :)

Stephanie
    Mom to Ally, age 11, dx'd 2/23/09:)

13. candise

candise Approved members

I can totally understand what you are going thrugh. I am trying to only take in as much information that applies to us today. If I get to caught up in tomorrow, I will go crazy. What type of insulin/schedule is your daughter on? Heaven takes NPH/Humalog in the am to avoid a lunch time shot. She has Lantus/Humalog before dinner. We have only done a nightime bs check once and it had been a crazy day. Our endo never suggested it- her bedtime and morning numbers are consistently good so no need at this point. We do keep a juice box and tester by her bed if she needs it (she never has).

14. Lee

Lee Approved members

I wanted to add - call A Plus MEdical - I don't have their # on me - but depending on your insurance, you might be able to get all of your supplies through mail order without paying the copay.

My daughter is just turning 11 - and yes, yours will be able to spend the nights and stuff once you are comfortable. Personally, we always have the kids over here anyway - I like knowing what my kids are doing, so we have friends over every other weekend, and they have a great time. Sometimes she will spend the night, but I do try and limit it some.

Also - sign her up ASAP for D Summer camp - that will really help her gain some independence.

15. Eve

Eve Approved members

Welcome to the club. My daughter was diagnosed a month ago and you will find this site full of caring people and helpful information, just like I do. I think it's easier on the kids because the parents do all the worrying for them. Go to www.diabetes.org/wizdom and you can order a free Wizdom Kit. Hope to meet you in the Parents chat room and remember to take it one day at a time. Take care.

16. linda

linda Approved members

Hi((((hugs)))) to you and your daughter...It sounds like you have already surrounded yourself and your daughter with lots of positive supporters!!!

It is realy good that you have a friend that caught the onset of the D! It must be helpful to your daughter too!!

Great that your hubby is helpful too!!

Yes there are so many challenges, and things to learn, but there are silver linings all over the place!! Your daughter will learn how truly strong she is!! By dealing with this and still living her full beautiful life, nobody can take away her inner strength that she has found!!!! You mentioned she has shown this confidence!!! You and your family will share renewed bonds with eachother and learn the true meaning of being supportive!!

If you can look into D camp, your daughter is at an age where she will GREATLY benefit here!!!!!! So will you!!!!!!! (1-2 weeks of the chance of a complete night sleep...I say CHANCE!!)....and all of the fun and independence she can muster up!!!

Although you may be overwhelmed (putting it mildly) know that You and your daughter and your family will be fine!!!!!!!!

Remind yourself of all of the things you are lucky for!! Friends, family, etc.....
    Know also all of your new friends are waiting here for you any time day or night!!!!!!!!
    welcome........;):cwds::p

ps...Em can chat with your dd if/when she is ready!!
    reach me @ tantucci@optonline.net and we can have the girls chat at the d chat.....:cool:;)

17. tesa

tesa Approved members

Thanks again everyone. I have asked my daughter about summer camp, but she says she does not want to go. She has always been attached to me, being gone that long might scare her, especially now. But deep down I know it would be great for her.

Candise, Ally is on Humalog for meals and Lantas at night. I am awake right now because I was the one who got up at 2:00 a.m. to check her. Before we went to bed, I asked my husband if we should even check and he thought we should just because this is all new. I couldn't believe he was saying that. Usually I am the worry wart! We will have to keep each other up to date since our daughters were diagnosed around the same time and at the same age. Please let me know how your daughter is doing too.

Thank you Linda. I will tell Ally about your daughter and hopefully they can chat soon! I know what you mean about sharing renewed bonds. I see that happening already between my husband and Ally. He always has hit it off with our older daughter, Hannah, but now I see this special bond between he and Ally. Not that he liked one over the other, but she has ALWAYS been a momma's girl!

Everyone is helping me so much, thanks again.

Stephanie

18. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

Hi Stephanie, welcome! Glad you found us. You'll get a lot of advice and encouragement here, and I'm sure you'll find it as addictive as I did.

19. DebK

DebK Approved members

Hi Tessa

You may be overwhelmed and sad and scared at the same time. I've read other replies--seems most of them are from parents of children who have been diagnosed--I'm one of the Type1's. I was diagnosed 43 years ago at the age of 12. Lots of changes since then! I have been very blessed to not have complications. Two years ago I finally went on the pump after 41 years of shots! :) I have no complications and have had two children---both in their mid-30's--and feel very blessed! There will be many changes--you don't get away from it for a second--but life can go on in a very "normal" state for the most part. You may feel discouraged at times, but don't let it get the best of you! Type 1's can have a very full and "normal" life!!!
    Deb

20. tesa

tesa Approved members

Thanks for your post, Deb. It is great to hear from someone who has managed Type I most of their life. How great you have mostly led a wonderful life. Were you concerned of passing Type I onto your children and was there a greater risk?

I have my ups and downs. My daughter is doing great, the only trouble we are having is that she loves her carbs. I have been trying to get her to eat less carbs and better ones. Last night I made turkey burgers with a whole wheat thin bun, and she actually ate the whole thing! This was a big step, plus it helped that her older sister and friend ate it too and liked it!

Thank you for your support. How do you like the pump?