- advertisement -

My daughter doesn't want a cure

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by mom2Hanna, Aug 28, 2013.

1. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

She told me yesterday that she doesn't care if diabetes never gets cured because she manages fine and she'd rather something really bad was cured. Then she said plus if it was cured diabetes camp would go away and she really loves camp. I found her perspective a bit heartbreaking.

2. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Ashleigh says the same thing. She's not sure she wants a cure. She's told me this several times

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

My daughter has been known to say the same thing...:(

I told her I would take the cure and she could go to the alumni camp. The camp for kids who used to have diabetes.

4. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

Alumni camp, I love it. I do like that she feels she doesn't have something really bad.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  5. Traci

Traci Approved members

My son says the same thing. His diabetes is just a part of him. He made me promise that I wouldn't make him take the cure when they get it. Sigh.

6. lisanc

lisanc Approved members

Interesting! My daughter has said the same thing. I wonder if they just consider it part of them of who they are :confused: But I find it interesting that she is not alone in this sentiment.

7. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Mine's not worried about a cure either. She is interested in the artificial pancreas technology but she thinks it's years away so she's fine for now.

8. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

I'm not very interested for a cure for myself. I see it as being apart of my life and a part of me, it's one of many things that make me me. Diabetes has given me so many opportunities and has allowed me to better myself as a person. And even though the rough days are really rough, the good days seem to overshadow the bad.

I've also grown to love the technology and the Christmas in July...I'm really looking forward to when the artificial pancreas is standard treatment.

Also, even if there were a cure I feel like I would still be checking my blood sugar or reaching for a meter before eating; either just to make sure I was still cured or it's just the routine.

9. Traci

Traci Approved members

When my son was about 10, his friend asked him why he didn't want a cure to get rid of his diabetes.

Ds: Would you want to get rid of your blue eyes?
    Friend: No, of course not!
    Ds: That's why.
    Friend: Oooohhhh! I get it! Ok.

10. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

I like the idea of an alumni camp. Something tells me most of the kids would find a way to still stay in touch.

As for me, while I am not waiting for a cure...if a safe, and reasonable one were to become available...I'd be all over it in a heartbeat.

Diabetes is expensive. I don't want the stress of continuing to figure out healthcare costs.

Just as quickly as I became use to being diabetic, I'd become use to NOT being diabetic even faster lol

11. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Agreed. I never understood people who say that they would not accept a cure. I understand small children may not have a complete grasp of the entire situation, but as for us, I would JUMP at a real cure faster than a knife fight in a phone booth.

Why someone would choose to keep a disease that could end their life, cause major health problems, cause stress, depression and drain their finances, etc is beyond me. :eek:

12. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

and my daughter would change her eye color in a heartbeat. Change her blue eyes, yep, to green without a thought.

my son, however has heard the "cure" idea for so long, he thinks its an adult myth to torcher him. He, would jump at a cure.

13. Traci

Traci Approved members

I just thought it was funny how my son compared the two items that are both part of who he and his friend are in a way that another elementary aged child could understand.

I'd jump at a cure in a heartbeat. We don't talk much about it in our household...I have my doubts that one will ever come to fruition. After ten years, there's been a million mice cured, but all of us humans are still on insulin. I appreciate every advance, but would love for my son to not have to think about every morsel of food, every bit of activity, etc.

But, at the same time, I'm happy that my child is not miserable, hating this disease, and wondering when or if someone will eventually cure him. He's an amazing young man.

14. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I'm not particularly interested in the pursuit of a cure. There are more worthy things to do with money, such as spending in treatment of the zillions of people who are dying preventable deaths of malnutrition, or treating the people with diabetes in countries where insulin is expensive for adults or plenty of other things.

However, type 1 diabetes has a large potential to kill me sooner or later, even with insulin and CGMS and all that. If something comes around to remove that potential, I will be thrilled.

15. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

I think it sounds positive to hear of these kids with type 1 not pining after a cure. They're living life focusing on today - that is healthy to me and they must feel good about themselves, their friends, and in general well-adjusted with how they live every day. Kudos to you parents. Your children sound happy and healthy to me. :cwds::cwds:

16. mocha

mocha Approved members

Yeah, I'm not interested in a cure either. If other people want it for themselves, they should take it. That's their choice for themselves.

I don't think I would take one, though, even if if was safe and affordable and effective. At this point in the game, it would be drastically altering who I am and who I've become. I'm not willing to give up who I am to appease others who think I'm broken.