- advertisement -

My cousin's son

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Charmed7, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Charmed7

Charmed7 Approved members

So I got a call from my husband's cousin (who is more like a sister) last night worried about her son's excess peeing and drinking. The doctors gave him a clean bill of health after a urine test, but she knew I had gone through something similar.

In fact, come next wednesday, I had gone through something quite similar 6 years ago with my son...who happened to be the exact same age at diagnosis as my cousin's son!

I told her what to pick up at the pharmacy to do some home testing before jumping the gun, bringing him to Children's. She wasn't able to pick the stuff up last night, so I told her to stay away from juice and milk and sugar drinks, and try to only give him water. I pray it's nothing!!!

I just had to come here and share. I'm worried and trying not to be worried. She's on the other side of the country and there's nothing more I want than then to be there right now!

Can a urinary tract infection go undected after a urinary test? She said that and diabeties came back clean. But he does have some type of infection but not in is urinary tract, I think it's on the outside. She named it but I don't remember what she said. And I think her research came back as an indicator of diabetes. <sigh> This stinks.

C7

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Oh gosh I hope its not that:( could it be a yeast infection? i dont think that would cause more drinking but may cause irritation and more urinating.

3. bbirdnuts@aol.com

bbirdnuts@aol.com Approved members

We all know we need Dr.'s, but they are not perfect. If the Dr. only checked her sons urine there are many other ways to get information. I am wondering if maybe she could check her son's blood sugar a few times, his urine for sugar, and for ketones. Everything can be bought at the pharmacy. She could even buy an A1c and with one drop of blood know the average over the last 3 months. The A1c kit ranges from $10 - $20.

You mentioned to not have him drink anything sugary. Although, staying away from sugary drinks and drinking water may be best it should not be necessary. If there is an infection sugar may make it worse depending on the type of infection.

I hope everything is ok. Please keep us updated.

4. Charmed7

Charmed7 Approved members

Yea, I told her to buy the ketostix and a cheap meter that comes with a few test strips, and to call me to see if a big glass of OJ brings his sugars up. I don't want to make her panic, so I'm trying to hold back my worries. It doesn't help that he was a premie twin and has other ailments, plus his twin sister is autistic and it's just been a rough ride for her. I know the feeling, and I don't want her to be more worried because I cried wolf.

When my son was 4, I brought him for a check up and reported the excess thirst and urination plus wetting the bed. The dr said nothing showed in his urine. A few months later he was hospitalized near coma with sugars in the low 900's! I trusted the drs and didn't realize my son was more sick than he appeared. I knew nothing of diabeties symptoms and trusted the doctor that it wasn't diabetes. He was thirsty and we were giving him Snapple and Soda and OJ!!! Man did I feel stupid once it all came to light. It was like I was I knew something was wrong, it was just out of reach because of one doctor!

Ok, now I'm venting. I have to go back to work. haha.

C7

5. Toni

Toni Banned

I hope it's not D. You would need full blood workup to determine this. I would get him checked out anyway to see what it is. Not necessarily D; try not to worry until you get a diagnosis.