- advertisement -

my confession - please help

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by jessica, Jan 24, 2007.

1. jessica

jessica Approved members

Here is my confession. I have had D since I was 4. That was during the time they new very little. My dad stood over me 24-7 although i love him for it now I hated it then. I becam very rebeliouse as a teenager, as teenagers do. But, now unfortunatly I am stuck in this rythem of not taking my sugars. I have 4 children and another 4 in my daycare. I am very busy but that is no excuse. I know better. I also strongly believe that God gave me this body to borrow and I should respect it and treat it right. I also know I have to keep healthy for my kids so they have me for a longer time. I just don't know how to remember. Does any one else have this problem and can you help.

2. cassandra

cassandra Approved members

hi jessica. yes, i have gone through this.

you know what we all know of course, so i won't bore you with risk and scare tactics, except to say that that was ultimately what got me to take care of myself. scared (to death) right into checking those sugars. i have no complications due to my past neglect, but i have met a lot of people with complications that are younger than me and have had diabetes for less time. well, that is what did it for me at least. because testing your blood sugars is really the most important thing you can do to avoid complications!!!

once you have decided to check your blood sugars, i have some tips for that. first of all, it may seem like a chore at first, but only until it becomes a HABIT. then it is all second nature. it only takes a week or 2 to form a habit. so, just make a goal to check it every day before every meal and 2 hours after every meal for 1 week. Continue to renew your goal until you don't have to think about it anymore! It really isn't as hard as it seems at first! I promise!!!!:)

feel free to email me if you like. elainecass@yahoo.co.jp

3. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

Hi,

If remembering is the problem, woudl some kind of timer system help? Maybe a watch that you can set alarms for, rather than something like the microwave that's easy to miss if you're in another part of the house. Then no matter where you are with the kids (and I imagine they do keep you very busy!), your wristwatch is going to beep until you do something about it?

4. rickst29

rickst29 Approved members

If you're willing to spend the extra money....

Consider getting a CGMS (look down in the 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' forum area, within 'Products').

I have Dexcom and LOVE IT, and it's costing me barely $60 per month. (Most people are more than 2x that amount, however, $1500-$2K for a year's worth of Sensors is more typical.)

It buzzes when I'm below 90, and it buzzes when I go over 160.... really great when I'm running around and "too busy" to remember to look at it frequently. (Right now it says "128", that's an OK number :cwds:)

If you have a new Minimed Pump (522 or 722), then you should try out the Minimed "R/T" product too. You could just wait for Navigator, but people have been waiting for MONTHS, and MONTHS, and MONTHS.... and it's STILL not for Sale.

5. jessica

jessica Approved members

thank you

is that price for those pieces a month with insurance? I have paradgm 511 but they said i had to pay upfront for the new one and then get reimbursed. I just can't afford that upfront.

6. cassandra

cassandra Approved members

a lot of people have to battle with insurance companies to get any coverage for the Continuous Glucose Monitors. You might check out the Continuous Glucose Sensing forum where some discussions come up about insurance and such. Oh, and this is kind of silly, but I saw a kind of cool alarm/reminder gadget for diabetics at fifty50.com
    i think it is made for parents to remind their kids, but i thought it was kind of cool anyways.

7. cydnimom

cydnimom Approved members

Jessica,

I think you have to work in small steps - pick a time of day that you think is the most crucial to test - like first thing in the morning lets say. Test yourself everyday at that time, then work yourself up to add another time of day - lets say before bed. I choose these two because these are your best chances with no kids interrupting you (get up before they do and test after you put them down for the night).

When I'm at home I leave my monitor right on the counter, it never gets put in a drawer. Outa sight, outa mind. My insulin pen also stays out. I will quite often check my bs before I eat, but I usually take my shot half way through or after because my blood crashes to quick. If I don't leave it out I tend to get occupied with my kids and my chores...

You shouldn't feel alone in this either, there are lots of Ds out there who run off track. You obviously feel a need to get back on track - and if you do it steps you may have a better chance of achieving your goal. Much easier to achieve small goals than one huge one in my eyes. Once it becomes habit, its not so hard to achieve.

Just some ideas,
    Cyndi
    T1-27 yrs MDI
    Mom to Ryan (6.5 yrs, T1-1 yr MDI)
    and Cody (4 yrs)

8. DebK

DebK Approved members

Hi Jessica

I've just read your message and want to assure you that you're NOT the only Type 1 who strayed off the path of good control! I was dx'd over 41 years ago when I was 12 and I certainly messed up A LOT over the years. I am very fortunate that I don't have complications, but that is something that worries me more as I get older. Knowing that complications could still happen. Definitely test your blood sugar and take your shots. Put your monitor in the bathroom----you have to take time out to go to the bathroom every so often or put it at the kitchen sink. Take your shots no matter what--while you're cooking & shortly before eating. Have your children watch you so they'll become familiar with what mommy needs to do to stay healthy and take care of them. Don't let the past plague you. It's over & done with. Start on a long and healthy FUTURE---starting NOW. Good luck and let us know how you're getting along.
    DebK

9. archybat

archybat Approved members

Hi,
    I am having the same problem. I used to be really good and under pretty good control, possibly due to excessive threats from my endo. I spent the past two years in another state in grad school and had gotten to a point that i was convincing myself that i didnt' have time, or i should be allowed to have a 'break' and all sorts of stuff. I am slowly trying to get myself back up to testing 5 times a day. my doctor is threatening me not to give me a letter for a new pump until i shape up. and also, I have ADD and didn't take meds. my doctor gave me some ADD meds and its been so much better. just a few thoughts

10. wkat

wkat Approved members

Hi Jessica,

I think we've all been there at one time or another. I would echo what others have said - my meter follows me wherever I go. If I go upstairs in my house, I take it with, if I go downstairs, same. I've had times when I tested 10-12 times a day (while pregnant) and other periods only 4xs. Things fluctuate, but I make sure I test every day when I wake up, before lunch and dinner and before bedtime. Start with small goals. Maybe once you get in the routine you'll see it's more of a mental block than an actual inconvenience. Try not to be too hard on yourself either. Good luck.

Wendy

11. pumpgirl

pumpgirl Approved members

Jessica, many, many times I have had to rely on setting alarms on my phone. I usually set them for every four hours. I'm also lucky enough to have the Minimed pump, where I can set it to remind me to check BG a certain amount of hours after I give myself insulin. But like I said, SET AN ALARM!! It's obnoxious as hell, but you'll remember to check your BG and be thankful of it in the end.:rolleyes:

12. rickst29

rickst29 Approved members

Yeah, MM no worky unless the pump comes CHEAP.

If they won't make a PATHWAY upgrade attractive, the Dexcom costs way less up front ($450) and it's faster/better/more accurate at catching lows for nearly everyone who's tried both. (e.g., John Walsh, the famous pump trainer.) The new Dexcom Sensors cost MUCH more money, $60 instead of $35, and they're absolutely certain to be out-of-network on your insurance. But paying $1500 for a Guardian, or $5000 for an un-needed pump upgrade, hmmm. That buys a LOT of Dexcom Sensors. ;)

Those were uninsured, direct-retail prices. I've now 50% coverage, which pays for the Dexcom price increase (for me), so I'm still around $60 per month out-of-pocket.

13. Bob @ Joy of Diabetes

Bob @ Joy of Diabetes Approved members

It was amazing how my memory improved after I was sitting in the doctors office getting laser treatment for diabetic retinopathy.....