advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My A1c's 1980-2009

Discussion in 'Stickies' started by Richard157, Nov 1, 2009.

1. heamwdevine

heamwdevine Approved members

Thank you so much for sharing. You are an inspiration and I loved reading about your A1Cs and how they have changed so drastically. It's great that you have such better control on the pump.

2. willie's mom

willie's mom Approved members

Whew..... that is great news. Thanks for the positive note. There is enough negativity dealing with this disease.;)

3. alismom

alismom Approved members

Thank you so much, very inspiring.

4. actualreality86

actualreality86 Approved members

I'm impressed. I hope the study goes well. Is it a national study? I can see how much your A1c's have come down. I hope for the near future that mine do come down.

5. Richard157

Richard157 Approved members

National study

Yes it is a national study even though the Joslin Medals are awarded to diabetics all over the world after they have had diabetes for 50 years, or more. The study will conclude in 2011 after they have examined 750 USA medalists. They hope to determine why some of us long term Type 1's have lived so long and have no serious complications. The ultimate hope is to then develop a treatment that will enable young type 1's to also live long and be healthy and complication free. I am so pleased to be able to take part in the study.

6. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

Richard, you are an inspiration to all of us parents of children with diabetes, as I'm sure to Type 1s themselves. There is hope. You have awesome control with those A1Cs. You are an ispiration to not only diabetics, but non=diabetics as well

7. Demi's mom

Demi's mom Approved members

Wow...

Everytime I read one of your postings...it gives me hope that my daughter will live a long, healthy and happy life. Her A1c was 11.25, at diagnoses, nearly two months ago. You are a true inspiration to all of us. Thank you for sharing your experiences with us.:)

8. victoria

victoria Approved members

Thank you Richard for sharing this information. I was wondering about the low carb diet, when you started the low carb diet, did your insulin regiment change and are you still controlling your carb intake or did you increase your carbs when you started pumping.

Thanks and best of luck!

9. Richard157

Richard157 Approved members

Hi Victoria. I started eating fewer carbs in the late 1980's. I still had a lot of high blood sugar but it steadily improved as I reduced my carb intake. I also restricted foods that cause a fast spike. Portion control is strongly advisable with breads, crackers, cereal, pasta, potatoes and other foods with a high glycemic number. I rarely eat bread but i do buy loaf bread (oatmeal bread) that has only 8g of carbs per slice. I never eat cereal.

When I started using basal/bolus control and carb counting I started having A1c's below 6.0. That is a non diabetic level. I did not increase my carb level because that requires more bolus insulin and the increased insulin causes weight gain. I need to lose 23 pounds so I keep my daily carb intake at 130g and I exercise. Pumping has also been very helpful in greatly reducing my number of highs and lows. I recently started using the Dexcom CGMS. I am sure that will help too.

10. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

Thank you for sharing this Richard. I find this thread very interesting. I was not aware of the C-peptide in beef & pork insulins.

11. MommaRetta

MommaRetta Approved members

WOW!!!! :)
    I would LOVE for my son to meet you. What an inspiration your story is to all of us...

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing. Very encouraging, :cwds:.

12. grantsmom

grantsmom Approved members

thank you for posting this!

Wonderful to hear you are doing GREAT!

13. FatCatAnna \\^^//

FatCatAnna \\^^// Approved members

So glad that you have your results from back then Richard! I sadly, only have records given to me by my endo when he was needing room in his files ('91 and up). Like you say, back in our days, we were experimental guinea pigs (I've been T1D since I was 6 for those of you who don't know me). The methods we used for keeping ourselves "in the zone" were primitive ... but they worked - as Richard is living proof that he is doing well after all these years.

I have to admit - after 47 years with T1D - I've only recently started looking more closely at my carb intake - but I still love evil foods (like those chocolate chip cookies I made the other day - bolus, bolus, yum, yum).

I figured, might as well make the most of my time on our big blue marble, and enjoy all life has to offer (well - except for bungie jumping or sky diving - have yet to do that).

So, nothing should stop your children from doing whatever they set their minds to - and having great parents behind them for support (tho' my parents still think that apple juice is sugar free - it's like ... no ... it still has sugar - sadly my parents didn't have groups like this to help them out - so we just did whatever the hospital that took care of T2D's told them to do - oh - and have me give insulin of 1 shot a day <lol>).