- advertisement -

My 3 year old son has Type 1

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ashadams, Jun 28, 2011.

1. ashadams

ashadams Approved members

Hi Everyone!

My name is Ashley and I have a 3 year old son, Javeyn, and a 5 year old, Gage. We just found out about a month ago that Javeyn has type 1 diabetes. He was drinking and urinating excessively. We kept questioning what was going on with him, but I thought that as a 3 year old, he was just doing normal things - like wanting to drink! So, I brought him to the doctor to find out that this is what he had. We spent four days at the hospital here in New Orleans.

I decided to sign up on this website yesterday afternoon to try to ease my mind by communicating with other parents. This has been an emotional rollercoster for me so far.

We have been struggling with his sugars. It seems that he did fine the first week or so after the hospital visit, but now they are just all over the place. I have been researching some different meal ideas and a friend of mine even went out to purchase me a cook book for diabetics. I make sure that I am feeding him everything within his carb limits. I am not sure if certain foods are having an effect on his body, or if this can just be from his body being new to the diabetes. Any suggestions?

2. Lovemyboys

Lovemyboys Approved members

Just wanted to say "hi" and welcome. There are so many factors that affect blood sugar. Yes, it could be different food and yes it could be him getting used to the insulin or even starting a honeymoon of sorts. One of the best things I did when my little one was first dx'd is to write everything down. It's tedious and time consuming, but it really helped me see the trends and how different foods affected him.

3. Alex's Dad

Alex's Dad Approved members

Hi and welcome to the forum and sorry you have to be here , its good you found us so soon. The fist months after diagnosis are very hard, trying to adjust to a new life with the disease. You will find that some foods cause more problem that other and yes his numbers will be all over the place that is normal, but remember to be in contact with your diabetes team. You will find a lot of helpful advice and info in this forum, feel free to ask any questions. Good luck and welcome to the club noone wants to be part of.:cwds:

4. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

Sorry you need to be here.

Anyway, yes, write eveything down and keep a chart. Also, keep in touch with your Endo, they should be able to help you with carb ratios and insuline intake.

5. Marie4Julia

Marie4Julia Approved members

So sorry to hear about your son's diagnosis, but you found the right place. I too am in New Orleans! Keep in close contact with your endo team. Are you faxing your blood glucose log to the clinic so that they can make any needed adjustments?

6. ashadams

Thank you to everyone responding! I am very happy to be here and to hear all of the feedback. I have been in contact with his endo probably once a week. I have been giving them his readings and they have made quite a few adjustments to his insulin doses. I have not been writing down everything, but I will try to start doing that.

7. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

So sorry for the shock of the dx, but glad you found us! Don't be afraid to contact your endo as much as you need to. Read as much as you can about Type 1 and you will become the best advocate for your son! At first, doctors often do a baby step approach to managing the bgs. As it sinks in and you become more familiar with it all, you might want to look into have a carbs to insulin ratio established for your son so you can accurately match the carbs he eats to the amount of insulin given in every instance. That usually takes a food journal for a few days and a dietician to look it over.

No question is too silly for us or for your endo!

8. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Welcome. The early days are very tough. What type of insulins are you using? In the begining it may be better to focus less on the type of foods he is eating and more on figuring out the correct ratio of insulin to carbs, counting carbs, etc. He should be able to eat the same things he did before dx, but you will need to give the correct amount of insulin to "cover" the carbs he is eating.

Here are some books you may find useful:

Understanding Diabetes (aka The Pink Panther book)
    by Dr. Peter Chase of the Barbara Davis Center at the University of Colorado.
    http://www.childrensdiabetesfdn.org/publications.html

Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin
    by Gary Scheiner, Barry Goldstein
    http://www.amazon.com/Think-Like-Pancreas-Practical-Managing/dp/1569244367

Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace
    by Betty Page Brackenridge, MS, RD, CDE & Richard R. Rubin, PhD, CDE. Published by the American Diabetes Association, 2002. 250 pages. Softcover.
    http://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Kids-Balance-Diabetes-Nutrition/dp/1580401244

Type 1 Diabetes: A Guide for Children, Adolescents and Young Adults -- and Their Caregivers
    by Ragnar Hanas, M.D. Published by Marlowe & Company, New York,
    http://www.amazon.com/Type-Diabetes-Adolescents-Adults-Caregivers/dp/1569243964

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  9. ashadams

Thanks! Right now his endo is instructing me on how much insulin to give him at certain meal times, so I am not at the point where I can make the decision myself. He can have 60 carbs for each meal and then in between each meal he can have one 15 carb snack. I give him a shot at breakfast and another at 9 PM. Every meal has been within these carb limits. I am having trouble with the sugar readings because they still seem to be high - in the 200's. The nurse at his endo office said that this isn't too bad, they are just worried about the lows that he is having at breakfast.

10. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

Just wanted to say welcome to the boards, although I am sorry for the diagnosis. My son is currently 3 and was diagnosed at 13 months. I agree that you should write down everything and stay in touch with your endo. Do not be afraid to look into other insulin regiments or ask your endo if they have any other ideas. What works for one diabetic may not work for your son. Good luck and you are not alone:)

11. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

Hi and welcome to "our family". As others have mentioned, it's tough in the beginning but rest assured, you will get a handle on his blood sugars. We have all been where you are and have gone through the same frustration you are experiencing. In time, control gets better. Living with diabetes becomes part of life. Just hang in there and do not hesitate contacting your Endo if you have questions.

12. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

My 4 year old

My son is 4 now and was diagnosed at 2 1/2. His blood sugars were all over the place too. It just really takes time to get their insulin needs sorted out.

One thing I will mention is when you are ready and not on information overload, read about the glycemic index of food. This is interesting information that shows how different foods can affect blood sugar.

My son for instance, really reacts to milk products - yogurt, ice cream. They tend to make his b/g go high quickly. Pizza usually has a delayed reaction and you will see highs later due to fat content.

Keep track of the food he eats and you may see trends with different types of food.

13. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hello and welcome Ashley, my son Steven was 3 at diagnosis also and is 10 now. I know this is a alot to get used to isnt it?:( For now be patient with yourself, youll get it:cwds: Different foods will definitely affect blood sugars in different ways. Fast acting carbs and foods with a high glycemic index will cause more blood sugar spikes. Foods with more fat will digest slower and make the numbers go up sometimes after the insulin is used up. Our kids can eat any foods that anyone else does as long as they get the proper amount of insulin, including candy, cake, cookies and ice cream. Of course not too much but I dont let either of my kids eat alot of sweets. Keep in touch with your diabetes team and they will help guide your right now in making adjustments in your son's insulin and diet