- advertisement -

My 10 year old son diagnosed with T1D yesterday

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Serenia, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Serenia

Serenia Approved members

Hello.

My name is Serenia from Toronto, Canada. My 10 year old son was just diagnosed with T1D yesterday.

We spent yesterday (friday) and today (saturday) at the Toronto Sick Kids Hospital getting his glucose from 25 back down to 10 and getting his ketoacidosis back under control.

For most of the last week he has been fatigued, complained of blurry vision, being excessively thirsty, going to the toilet a lot including at night times, being very irritable and rude (which has not gone over very well with the teachers at school, I can tell you) and losing weight inexplicably.

Some of these symptoms have been around for several months but really, the only reason we finally figured out what was going on was because he went to a friends sleepover birthday party last weekend. The kids all drank LOST of pop (soda or fizzy drinks) and that made him even worse during this week just past.

In Ontario we have a telehealth phone number we can call so I called it on friday morning after he woke up even worse than ever. The nurse mentioned something about type 1 diabetes so I began doing some research online.

The list of symptoms matched my son EXACTLY. So by 11 am yesterday, my son and I were at the hospital.

The 36 hours we were there were not easy. My son absolutely HATES needles so that added a whole extra dimension to trying to insert heparin locks and IV's, not to mention hourly finger pricks as well.

We are now back home, but have to go back to the diabetes clinic for 2 days of diabetes education - Sunday and Monday.

My DH has T2D but must also take insulin as the pills and the metformin dont work.

It's a good thing I have watched my DH for years doing his finger pricks, and his injections, so I have some idea of what to expect, and could answer my sons many questions relatively easily.

Anyway by the time he was discharged he was doing the finger pricks quite well - very little screaming so that was good.

Anyway, time to go to bed. My family all have to be back at the hospital for the first day of class at 8 AM!!!!

Ciao

Serenia.

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Welcome but sorry you have to be here. You have found a great site for support and information. The early days are very tough, you are overwhelmed emotionally, sleep deprived, and scared. But over time you will become more comfortable dealing with all the things you need to do to live with this illness. You will find a "new normal" believe it or not, and things will get into more of a routine. All the parents here are proof of that.

Here are some books you may find useful:

Understanding Diabetes (aka The Pink Panther book)
    by Dr. Peter Chase of the Barbara Davis Center at the University of Colorado.
    http://www.childrensdiabetesfdn.org/publications.html

Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin
    by Gary Scheiner, Barry Goldstein
    http://www.amazon.com/Think-Like-Pancreas-Practical-Managing/dp/1569244367

Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace
    by Betty Page Brackenridge, MS, RD, CDE & Richard R. Rubin, PhD, CDE. Published by the American Diabetes Association, 2002. 250 pages. Softcover.
    http://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Kids-Balance-Diabetes-Nutrition/dp/1580401244

Type 1 Diabetes: A Guide for Children, Adolescents and Young Adults -- and Their Caregivers
    by Ragnar Hanas, M.D. Published by Marlowe & Company, New York,
    http://www.amazon.com/Type-Diabetes-Adolescents-Adults-Caregivers/dp/1569243964

Finally, in addition to the forums there is a chat room here where you can talk to other parents in "real time", day or night.

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/chat/

Hang in there :cwds:

3. Serenia

Serenia Approved members

Thank you for the welcome and for the books listed, Chris.

You can be sure I will check them out - maybe from the library.

We managed the first day of class relatively easily today, and are now back home.

I finger pricked my son, and jabbed him with insulin twice - so for now he is taking both rapid release and slow release insulin. before he goes to bed tonight he will have a finger poke and a snack. His BG is still up in the 20's but he is not acting tired.

He is actually acting so much more like his normal self, it is a change from the grumpy irritable boy we have had these last few months. Such a relief.

I know his teachers are going to be thrilled at the major improvement.

Since there is only 2 more weeks until the end of the school year, I hope to use this time to start educating the teachers (if I need to), getting permissions in place (things like a juice or a snack when his sugar is low even if its not recess), writing up a Diabetes action plan, etc etc.

If I can get all this into place before he starts grade 5 in September, it will make the transition to a new grade (with a lot more home work) that much easier. It also helps to have the next 8 weeks of vacation for me and him both to become more comfortable with finger pricks and jabs.

4. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

I am sorry. It is something you never expect to happen and is quite a shock. I hope your "education days" go well. It sounds as though you are incredibly "with it" already. Welcome here. Liz

5. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hello and welcome Serinia:cwds: I know you are probably still feeling as if the rug was pulled out from under you by all this. I promise that it will get better. Give yourself time to learn all these new things and come back here anytime with questions. We have many members of the forums from Canada so they are all knowledgeable about the different healthcare and school issues in Canada

6. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Welcome!

I'm from Toronto, too (Thornhill, actually)! We have been living in the US since my son was diagnosed a year and a half ago, though, so I have a pretty poor understanding of how things work in ON. We are hoping to move back in the next year or so, so I may come to you for answers--by then, you will be a real expert!

In the meantime, post as much as you need or want to and read as much as you can. I have no doubt that the Sick Kids staff are top-notch, but every place and every doctor do things differently, so it is nice to see the wide range of solutions to problems that people propose on the site!

Good luck!

7. MomTo4Girls

MomTo4Girls Approved members

Hi Serenia, I live just outside Toronto and my 9 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 in February. I am sorry you are going through this but am really glad that you have found this site so quickly. If there is anything that I can help with please let me know :)

Remember to take deep breaths, that his blood sugar will not be perfect, it will take some time for it to come down into range more consistently and that is ok! My daughter was also WAY less grumpy once her blood sugar came down. It was like she was a whole new child! Now we can tell she is high when she starts acting grumpy again :p

Kate

8. Deal

Deal Approved members

Welcome to the forum. You are in great care at Sick Kids in Toronto. Best of the Best!

Hopefully for the next couple weeks you will be close enough to school to manage giving the shots at lunch. It's unlikely you will find someone in an Ontario school willing to do it. The teachers union is against it, as are the administrators in the school boards. We have had great luck getting a teacher that has his best interests at heart and follows our instructions for managing D to a tee. I still manage all shots myself. Next year (grade 4) he will keep his insulin pen in the office and do that himself.

I could share with you the documentation we sent in which includes a flowchart for testing/treating. I based it on something I found on this important site you will want to bookmark: http://www.diabetesinschools.ca/

9. Serenia

Serenia Approved members

I have that diabetes in schools site already bookmarked. :)

My son wont be doing insulin shots during school.

He gets NPH and Novorapid (in 2 separate pens - which means 2 jabs) both at breakfast and again at dinner. Just a finger poke for BG reading at lunch - and I will go to school at lunchtime to do that. (I am only a few blocks away) I am aware that teachers are not required to do these.

I am fortunate that I have a very supportive school staff. They have been very supportive ever since my son's behaviour started getting strange back around Xmas time. They set up a case management meeting in February but NONE of us - not me, not the teachers, and not the school social worker - none of us picked up on any diabetes warning symptoms even though he had them all (except the vaginal yeast infection - he is the wrong gender. :D ) and his behaviour was getting worse and worse.

My son will be in grade 5 in Sept, so I hope that eventually he will be able to do his own finger pokes at lunch time.

I am glad I found this site and you can be sure I will be here asking questions.

Does anyone know if there is any Type 1 diabetes support groups in Toronto? Preferably in the downtown area?

Thanks.

Serenia

10. Deal

Deal Approved members

We have a clinic support group in Mississauga. It runs monthly. I'm sure you will find something closer, just ask your clinic. I predict your son will be doing his own bg checks within a week. Kids really do accept this and deal with it much quicker and easier than us parents do.

11. Nicole1

Nicole1 New Member

So sorry to hear of your sons diagnosis. This time can be very overwhelming. We are close to you (Barrie) Let me know if you ever need some support from someone who knows what you are going through. My daughter was dx'd at age 4 and is now 17yrs old. Best of Luck and remember to take care of yourself too!