- advertisement -

Must have or favorite pump accessories

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by AH41514, Dec 19, 2014.

1. AH41514

AH41514 New Member

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and was so thrilled to find it! Already I have learned so much that I wish I had learned or understood earlier.

We have ordered my daughters first pump, the t-slim, and I am wondering what accessories people have found the most helpful. The t-slim comes with a belt clip, but wondered about other clips, bands, holders, etc. that others use.

Thanks!

2. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Hi and welcome!

We have tried everything under the sun. My son likes to use the clip that comes with it comfort-wise, but it's not low profile and he's the first to admit that it gets in the way, is a problem in the bathroom, and generally not great. So we use a spibelt and though he complains about it occasionally he has worn it consistently for a few months now. We don't bother threading the tubing through the slit in the back, we just position the pigtail at the open end of the zipper. Good luck, you will love the t:slim!

3. Mimikins

Mimikins Approved members

I have been using the tclip since I got the pump. It's pretty easy for me to clip it to the front of my bra (I don't have to worry about my pump falling off my bed and ripping out my site overnight), though it is sometimes obvious that I have something clipped to the front of me if I am wearing a thinner shirt. This is the only option I can think of that I can wear with a dress that would not require me to go to the bathroom to bolus.

I know my sister is getting me a flip belt for Christmas, so I might spend time experimenting with that. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can figure out how to wrap it around my thigh so that I have another pump location for whenever I am wearing a dress.

Otherwise, if I am not using the clip, I like to use yoga pants with pockets and sports/bandeau bras and nestle my pump there. Though this isn't a pumping accessory, I found bandage tape a necessity for keeping my infusion set in place and for keeping my tubing in a certain location.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

What you will want, or what she will want, depends a lot on her age and style of dress.

5. AH41514

AH41514 New Member

Thanks all for the ideas. She is 10 and is a jeans, pants, kind of girl. No dresses ever:smile: she plays a lot of soccer and I am not sure her shorts will be sturdy enough to hold the clip so any ideas that have worked for sports would be great.

6. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

When I pumped with my Cozmo I just threw it in my jeans of scrub pockets. I was always wearing one or the other. At night I just let it "float" in bed next to me.

When I switched to Medtronic, they had a great low profile clip so I always had it clipped somewhere. It was my far an easier pump to "wear" than the Cozmo with its well designed clip and boxy form factor.

Now on the Omnipod I just use the case it came with and throw it in whatever bag I'm taking.

7. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

My daughter just started the t:slim in November after 4 years of the Ping. She found the clip provided by Tandem quite bulky and attached this "hip clip" http://www.batteryjunction.com/niteize-nbc-03-11.html?gclid=CJjMgams1sICFchcMgod1RIAOA to the back and has loved the low profile. She'll wear a thigh thing http://www.amazon.com/Unique-Accessories-Thigh-Thing-Black/dp/B0002T2S72 with dresses. Often, she'll wear some tight exercise shorts (think bike shorts but thinner and not as long) under things if she's wearing something that won't hold the pump well. That might work for your daughter under her soccer shorts.

Just a warning, don't place the clip over the three little holes on the back of the pump and make sure you put it where it doesn't interfere with the cartridge going in and out!

8. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

My daughter almost always just puts it in her jeans pocket, since it is so thin and sleek. Even for a 10 year old, that should be fine. She has lots of cases and belts, but with this pump it is easier to just put it in her jeans pocket. One thing that others do is to put a hole in the top part of the pocket, a buttonhole really. That way the tubing can be threaded through and not show at all on the outside. For sweats or other pants without pockets, the flipbelt types are more comfy than the Spibelt.

9. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I have a 6 and 10 year old, they wear their pump between their shoulders in a neoprene cell phone pocket attached to a bra top. my 6 year old we have a pocket sew there, but my 10 year old prefers no pocket. They have pump sites on their arms and booty, if on the thigh we would have to use the Nathan Phantom running belt, which I prefer over the SPibelt.

10. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

My daughter is 11 and uses T:Slim. She wears jeans most days and just tucks the pump in her front pocket. If she's wearing a skirt and tights, she sticks it in the waistband. At night, she wears a sports bra and the pump is tucked into the back. Makes it easy for us to get to if we want to bolus and set a temp basal.

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Sounds like my kid :) Mostly she just shoves her pump in her jeans pocket, for sports she would wear a spi-belt and turn the pump to the small of her back.

12. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

My 7 year old son also has the tslim. He really doesn't like the belt clip either - it is too bulky. For boys it is very easy to put the pump in his pocket - especially in cargo type pants.

However, with sports, the best thing I have found is the tummitote. I like it much better than the spibelt for sports. My son plays baseball with his pump on. The tummitote fits under his shirt and is not visible - I find it best to put the pump in the back so it doesn't get hit or knocked. Removing the pump for my son is not an option. We purchased several original tummitotes with velcro closures. They also have a new version that you just slide on. Check those out - lots of patterns.