- advertisement -

Multiple Testing Sessions

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momandwifeoftype1s, Apr 3, 2012.

1. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

Connor is about to start End of Grade testing for 4th grade. We added that his blood sugar has to be between 80-250 in order to take standardized tests. His school psychologist suggested that we add Multiple Testing Sessions as an accommodation to his 504 Plan so he can take more frequent breaks and come back to the same test throughout the day. Does anyone else have this accommodation? Does it work well for your child? How does your CWD do on standardized testing? I'd love your feedback. This is new for us. Thank you!

2. Mish

Mish Approved members

we have it, but have never had to use it. I also don't require a specific bg either because we all know that a number often doesn't show what's happening or that a BG might be fine before testing starts but then might shoot through the roof or that today's 220 might not be bad but tomorrow during testing might really make him tired and unable to focus. So if he feels horrible he can take a break with no questions or justification.

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Your son has attention deficit issues, doesn't he, if I remember correctly? That sounds like a reasonable accommodation for those rather than for diabetes. Apart from lows or extreme highs, there's no reason a child should need multiple testing sessions as a given just because of having diabetes.

4. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

You don't have to use an accommodation just because it's available. What are your state's laws concerning standardized testing? They vary so much from state to state, it would be a good idea to check into the requirements. Personally, I'd rather have an accommodation in place & never use it, than to not have it & need it.

When we wrote our original 504 plan, we were required to specify an acceptable BG range for taking tests. It means nothing in terms of how dd feels.

5. momandwifeoftype1s

Yes, my son has ADHD and diabetes and a 504 Plan for both. He is eligible for testing accommodations because of either 504 Plan, but the school is much more concerned about the wording in his 504 Plan for diabetes because it lists a specific blood glucose range for standardized testing. Since the tests start at 8:30 a.m., his numbers are never in range at that time. He still has insulin on board from breakfast. His numbers don't come back into range until 9:30 or so. We've agreed (so far) that he can sit with his class and listen to the directions for the test - the housekeeping part of test taking that is required. He'll then test his blood sugar before he starts his exam. If he's in range, he'll stay in the classroom and take the exam with his classmates. If he's out of range, he'll take a break in another classroom with other children who have testing accommodations in place and work on his homework and/or read a book. He can re-join his classmates when his blood sugars are back in range. The Multiple Testing Sessions that has been checked off on a box on his 504 Plan allows him to take more frequent breaks than his peers. He can resume taking the test when his numbers are back in range without penalty.

Just as an FYI - This accommodation is only available for children with an IEP or 504 Plan. Just one more reason to get a 504 Plan if you don't have one yet :). He's only in 4th grade, but I still think it's important for his standardized testing scores to be an accurate reflection of his ability.

6. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Because of the breakfast spike issue, we inserted language that says something like "if BG is outside the range of ___ and student feels that blood glucose will adversely affect her performance" or something like that. If you're interested, I'll pull out the documents and find the exact wording.

Lauren is often a little high during the first class of the day, but it doesn't bother her and doesn't interfere with her ability to concentrate or her performance, so we didn't want a BG reading to take her out of the testing.

We started out having her test separately from the class (3rd grade). She hated it. She's been testing with everyone else and needed very little accommodation since 4th grade. I think she's been low and had to leave during 1 test.

Since your child is only in 4th grade, you have some leeway to try it and see how things go. Ask him how he feels about it. He may be fine with the different testing conditions (and maybe he needs them) or he may really dislike it and he might do fine with everyone else.

7. momandwifeoftype1s

I guess I'll have to see how it goes for Connor and make changes as needed. He's on the honor roll at school, so his grades are very good. He's only had to delay taking tests a couple times when his blood sugars were out of range.

8. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

It's necessary to have a plan in place in case he needs it. I guess I would just hesitate to make his testing environment different unless it is necessary, but that's based on how my daughter feels about situations like that. It's nice that we have a few years before we have to face SAT & ACT testing!!

9. momandwifeoftype1s

His testing environment will not change. He'll just have more opportunities for breaks than his peers. He will go to an alternate location just to do his homework or read a book if he's out of range. He will not be taking his tests in an alternate location or with a proctor in a room by himself. This accommodation will just allow him to stop and start as needed without being penalized. I hope that Connor has a positive experience. If not, I'll be sure to address it right away.

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Well, if he takes breaks, he will end up testing part of the time by himself, because everyone else will finish first. Or maybe I'm just not understanding you correctly.

11. momandwifeoftype1s

No, I think you're understanding me correctly. I think I'm having a hard time thinking this through entirely. I just had this conversation with the school psychologist this morning, and it seemed to make sense then. Perhaps I need to think it though a little more. What would you suggest?

This is the first time that his 504 Plan has had a specific blood glucose range included. The school wanted this number range; not me. He usually does just fine with testing, but EOG's carry more weight than regular testing. His Principal said that he has the final say so in whether to pass a child to the next grade. I suppose he could bomb the tests, and the Principal would likely still pass him with his history of being on the honor roll the rest of the year. I'm hesitant to chance it when there is an opportunity to put a continency plan in place for his lows and highs. I don't want special treatment - just a level playing field with his peers without ADHD and diabetes impairing his testing.

12. abrayome

abrayome Approved members

Hey Amy!

We miss you in Nashville! I say stick with the multiple testing session provision and use it if needed. That's the same Gracie got when she took the ACT. She happened not to need it, but if she had been out of range she would have been able to "stop the clock", treat and return to the test when in range.

I would be happy that the school is willing to accommodate him in this way. Not all schools/testing organizations do. Gracie has taken the CTP4's when not in range and it has affected her scores. She filled out her whole answer sheet incorrectly once (skipped a line) and we couldn't do anything about it after the fact.

13. Noel

Noel Approved members

Amy,

Aidan's 504 is written like that. He is allowed multiple sessions for testing. Our testing here is timed. You only have so much time to finish a section. If you don't finish or have to stop and the time runs out then so be it. This is why we wrote this into his 504. Because of this, he does test individually. He doesn't mind this because he says he feels better knowing that he can take all the time he wants and not have to worry about stopping to check his BG would make him "Fail". He was part of writing the plan initially and it is what he wanted. DH and I were actually initially against him being pulled out to take the standardized test. He did end up having to use it last year, because of his 504 he was able to take a section of the test over 2 days (was suppose to be completed in 90 mins).

My advice is in the end do what you feel is right for you and Connor. :cwds: Like everything else YDMV.

14. momandwifeoftype1s

Hi Agnes! Miss you too! Thanks for letting me know that the multiple testing session provision has been something you've used for Gracie. I'm hoping that Connor will be in range and not have to use this accommodation, but it seems like a good contingency plan just in case.

15. momandwifeoftype1s

Thanks so much for letting me know about Aidan's experience with Multiple Testing Sessions. Yes, it works the same way here. If you don't finish or have to stop, he can come back to work on it without penalty. He'll only be using this accommodation for standardized testing and not throughout the school year, so I think it'll be fine with him. The term Multiple Testing Sessions was a new one for me. It's nice to come here and find other parents who have experience to share with me. I appreciate it!

16. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Hmmm, this is making me think about having my kid's BG tested before tests. Never thought about it before. Thanks.

On a side note, one time we had a pump problem at school and I had to go there to solve things (cape and all:rolleyes:). They had had a test that morning, and BGs were in the 400s (I know this since the teacher saw he was looking funny, so she asked him to test). Anyway, he took the test being in the 400s (with the correction going, obviously), and when we got the test back, he had 1 mistake, but you could see something was off - his writing was not his usual writing, kwim? So I figure his "knowledge" is still there and he can apply it, but the motor skils (writing) is affected. Thought this was an interesting bit.:eek:

17. momandwifeoftype1s

Paula - When Connor was in lower elementary school grades, his tests were not so significant. Now that he is having standardized tests that determine if he passes to the next grade or not, I want diabetes to be out of the equation.

Connor just got his last report card, and he has all A's except a B+ in language arts (88%). That is the earliest class in the day for him, and the time when he is most likely to have a higher blood sugar. It's also when his ADHD meds are just kicking in. I'm very proud of him for succeeding in school despite added medical challenges. I don't think it's too much to ask to have his blood tested and to make sure he's in range for important tests because there are only a few times a year when this is a factor. I'm glad to get these procedures in place in 4th grade. It's much easier now when he's in elementary school than it would be for SAT's and ACT's, etc.

I know you don't have 504 Plans where you live, but I'm really happy to have something in writing regarding acceptable blood sugar ranges for standardized tests. Could you write it into your son's Health Care Plan?

18. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Our "health care plan" is just a sheet where I tell them "give x tabs if BG is under X, and call me if BG is above x".:D We don't have anything like that in place, simply because the school personnel is legally not bound to cooperate with us. We've been very lucky so far, and crossing fingers it'll continue as such (new teacher in the fall, and :eek: I've heard she's a bit...ummm...difficult...we'll see!). But I think I will add a N.B. to the sheet, just in case, to take into consideration BG level before testing.

19. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

My DD is in 8th grade now. She has had small group testing since 4th grade. This allows breaks for BG testing and carbs or corrections as needed. She also has an "acceptable BG range" for testing.

That being said - she has only had one issue (sudden vomiting) during a test time. Ironically, her Bg was high and she should not even have been testing.

In checking her meter, she was too high every day of the testing period. When I addressed this with the principal (who is also a family friend), he was appalled. His comment, "We are educators and have been numerical parameters for her health. And yet, while testing for numerical education standards we totally ignored the variables you had given." He added, "Even if she fails to meet standards, she will be promoted because we violated your 504." He was so excited when the scores came in that he called me, "She exceeded all standards!"

This incident underscored for me the value of the 504 because it could have been a problem. I need to add the "Multiple Testinf Sessions" language as she moves to high school.

20. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

For my daughter they can only give one segment/session/section of a multi session test per day. This to 1st of all make sure she has time to treat diabetes on all sections. 2nd to allow her proper time on all tests without pressure. Section 1 may not phase her but section 2 or just simple sitting for a long time without movement messes with her numbers so extended standardized testing raises her numbers and does not allow for testing on an additional session in the same day.