- advertisement -

MRI and the pod

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by phil413, Jun 17, 2014.

1. phil413

phil413 Approved members

My daughter has an MRI scheduled for tomorrow for a non-diabetes related problem. Anyone had an MRI with a pod on? I'm assuming we'll have to take it off and put a new one on after but am wondering if any of y'all have experience with this. Thanks!

2. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

No experience with MRIs while wearing a Pod, but the extremely long and detailed User's Guide that accompanied my daughter's OmniPod indicates that Pods and PDMs do not play well with MRIs. The Guide clearly states that Pods should be removed and PDMs taken out of the room during MRIs. It goes without saying that a whole new Pod will be needed. The Guide suggested scheduling MRIs in temporal relation to the scheduled time when a Pod change is due.

ETA: I hope the results of your daughter's MRI are WNL (within normal limits).

3. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

My daughter had one the other day and we had to remove her steel set and her Dexcom. Since she was inpatient it was a bit tricky getting them to understand she had to get back to the room asap afterwards. You should just have everything ready to put a new pod on right away.

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

My daughter had one two months ago and anything, even the slightest bit of metal had to come off. While her set was plastic, the Dex sensor is not, so we had to pull one…which sucked!