advertisement

Moving to USA with children who has Type 1

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Kim Hansen, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Kim Hansen

Kim Hansen New Member

Living in the UK our daughter's diabetes management and treatment is covered under our National Health Service. How is treatment paid for in the US? Is there any help for medical costs?

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

You will need to specifically ask about your company policy though the job, assuming you're getting insurance through work?

Everyone's coverage here differs. My sister's plan has a high deductible, but once that's met, everything is paid at 100%. We have a low deductible but then pay a copay + percentage after that until we met an out-of-pocket maximum, which we don't usually most years. However, prescriptions are covered through a different company, so those bills continue regardless of what we've paid and don't count toward what we've paid.

For us (but it's changing to a higher deductible)
    $200 deductible per person
    $20 copay for regular gp/$40 for endo
    10% coinsurance for visits, labs, pump & supplies, Dexcom
    We're on a PPO, so we have to choose a doctor on their plan or it's a separate, much higher deductible and 30% coinsurance. Fortunately, our doctor is fantastic. Personally, I would not like an HMO where doctor choice isn't given.

We get pods, insulin, test strips, ketone strips, glucagon, antibiotic cream for site infections through our prescription company at a $50 copay each every 3 months for those months' supplies. Obviously glucagon & cream don't require being filled every three months (hopefully!)

Kim Hansen likes this.
  3. Kim Hansen

Kim Hansen New Member

4. Kim Hansen

Kim Hansen New Member

Thank you for sharing your experience as this is all new to us. I expect to have insurance but I wonder if there will be a waiting period before I or my family is eligible. I worry about the costs during that time as my daughter would definitely need to find an endo right away to ensure there is no lapse in care.

5. Deb Schmidt

Deb Schmidt New Member

If and when there are hardships, you can also find great assistance programs to help with payment of supplies and insulin. There's a list with links out on my site with all kinds of help if ever needed - https://www.diabeticlifesupport.com/resources Pharmaceutical companies often have support programs and they are listed on my site as well. Good luck!

Kim Hansen likes this.
  6. Kim Hansen

Kim Hansen New Member

Thank you for the information and link to your website. I will definitely have a look.