- advertisement -

Morgan's diaversary

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by hmmmcormick, Mar 16, 2010.

1. hmmmcormick

hmmmcormick Approved members

This was the entry in Morgan's caring bridge page on March 17th 2008:

We are spending St. Patrick's Day in the PICU. Yes, I said PICU. Morgan is a sick little boy. He has developed diabetic ketoacidosis. Last night at about 9:30 I brought Morgan to the e.r. with symptoms I thought were related to a respiratory problem. He had real rapid, labored breathing. He was lethargic and limp and had no energy. He didn't seem able to focus and would not respond to his name. After they did some lab work we learned that his glucose level was over 1,000. Normal is around 120. His sodium and chloride levels are also high.

At about 3am Morgan was admitted to the Blank PICU. He has been having blood draws every 4 hours to check his sodium levels. So far they are still too high. Right now that is the main concern, to get those levels stable. He has been having his glucose level checked every hour and, with the addition of insulin, they have decreased significantly. Because of the sodium issues Morgan's breathing has continued to be labored and his heart rate extremely elevated. He is on about 3 liters of oxygen to help this.

Dr. Cook was here a bit ago and she told us she believes that Morgan has developed type 1 or juvenile onset diabetes. This is the insulin dependent diabetes. She doesn't know why he has developed this, she can find no literature that links it to trisomy 18. She did tell us that because Morgan has hypothyroidism he was at an increased risk to develop diabetes. So, now Mike and I get educated. We must learn to check Morgan's glucose and learn to give him insulin shots, not to mention monitoring his diet. It seems like a lot, but it must be done.

I must say that I have been feeling incredibly guilty about this. Morgan has been very irritable and grumpy for a few weeks now. I didn't think anything was wrong other than he was a crab. Now I learn that he has probably been coming down with this for several weeks. All that irritability was probably his reacting to these changes in his body. He couldn't tell us he didn't feel right.

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Happy Diaversary Holly and Morgan.. you have gone through so much in the last few years! Morgan, you surely are an amazing young man. Holly, be proud of the wonderful job you have done carrying for Morgan, not just these past few years, but his entire life... :)

3. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

Holly, congratulations to you, Mike and Morgan on 2 years of raising a happy, healthy, amazing young man.

4. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Thinking of you, Holly. All of you are remarkable! Huge Hugs!!!! :cwds::cwds::cwds: One CWD smile for each of you. :)

5. grantsmom

grantsmom Approved members

You contribute a lot to this board:)

Thanks for sharing that is was your and Morgan's special day!

6. Toni

Toni Banned

Lot's of parents miss the signs of Type 1; and in our case the Pedi screwed up. You are doing a fantastic job. God sent Morgan to the right Mom. Very unfair that Morgan has to deal with Type 1 or any health issues. From your descriptions of him, it sounds like he has an amazing spirit.

7. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

Holly, Morgan and Mike - Your family has endured a lot this past year. Your strength is transcending!

Happy Diaversary :cwds:

Wanda

8. MySweethearts

MySweethearts Approved members

You are an awesome mom! Happy diaversary :)

9. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Congrats on the last two years.

10. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

Congrats on 2 more healthy years for the big guy!!

Do you still check his BG? I remember you had said that he was off of all insulin at one point. Amazing doesn't even begin to describe Morgan:D

11. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Hugs to all.
    You're doing an awesome job keeping an awesome kid healthy and happy. His smile shows it.;)