- advertisement -

More Than One Way to Skin a Cat . . .

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lizzie's Mom, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Lizzie's Mom

Lizzie's Mom Approved members

We lost the top to the One Touch lancing device we have. We have the Amimas Ping with the One Touch remote, so I naturally called the number on the back of the meter/remote to see if we could get a replacement cap or a new lancing device.

The One Touch folks told me that they would be happy to send me a replacement lancing device but that it would not be the same as we received with our meter - the new one would be 4 inches long and they would be happy to send it to me for a charge of $38.00 :eek: ! NO, THANK YOU ANYWAY.

Well . . . . we also have a freebie One Touch Ultra Mini meter that we got through some mail promotion as our back-up meter that came with the same lancing device our meter/remote came with (that's the spare we're using now), so I called the number on the back of THAT meter, and guess what?

They're sending me a spare cap to replace the one we lost AND a spare lancing device FOR FREE :D!

So I guess if you (or your insurance as the case may be) spend 1000's of $$$ with Animas/One Touch for an insulin pump, you have to pay for a replacement lancing device (which probably costs them about 4 cents to have made in China?!), but if you get a freebie meter in the mail, they'll send you what you need for FREE!

Go figure :rolleyes:.

I am a happy customer, after all. I just don't think it should be so inconsistent and complicated, kwim?

2. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Sometimes I think it just has everything to do with who you have on the phone.. One Touch has always been great about sending out replacement pumps or lancers, but I haven't had the same good luck with Roche for example. I somehow broke my multiclix (it was jammed, and once unjammed would no longer work correctly) and they wouldn't replace it because I don't use their meter (I should have lied, but c'mon, I buy the drums for the thing, it's not like they aren't getting my business!)... but I had an endo appointment a few days later and she gave me two for free :)

3. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

It really doesn't matter which lancing device you use, it doesn't have to be a One Touch. You probably could have gotten a replacement for free from your endo as well. I wouldn't have paid to have it replaced either.

4. Lizzie's Mom

Yeah, I know we can use any lancing device. I like this one because I can re-cock it one-handed in the middle of the night ;).

Elizabeth likes the Bayer Contour device. We've worn out four of those! I called about those today and we have a free one coming from them too :). When I asked our Endo for a replacement they gave us a whole new meter kit. I just don't feel like storing more than the four meters we already have, but thanks for the tip :).

5. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

Have you looked at the One Touch Delica? You can also cock it with one hand and we were able get it just the lancer without the meter from our Endo.

6. Lizzie's Mom

I did see that today, but the One Touch folks told me it takes different lancets, and we have about 600 lancets that fit the two different devices we already have.

7. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

I have a couple of the Bayer ones and I dont use them, they are new and unused, if you would like them, send me a PM with your address and I will send them to you, I might even have a couple of the ones from One Touch too.
    I only use the multiclix, so I dont need them.

8. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

We get new lancing devices through our pump supply company every few months and the insurance company pays for them.

Isn't it amazing how more helpful some customer service people are than others.