- advertisement -

Moms Read: "How God Selects the Mother of a Diabetic Child" " (get a tissue)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Pauji5, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

I agree with both these sentiments.

It's a special kind of hell dealing with diabetes every freaking day!! I can't believe any God would choose to inflict this on anyone.

2. swellman

swellman Approved members

Obviously, you're wrong ... can't you see it's a blessing?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

3. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

But like they say - it could be worse :D;).

Sorry, I don't get it either. No tissue needed here.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

It's probably worth noting the source. It's Erma Banbeck for cryin out loud - a newspaper humor columnist; not a spiritual guide, not a the parent of a kid with type 1 (as far as I can tell) and not worth getting upset about, imho.

If it brings you to tears then by all means cry, if you find it appallingly grotesque, as I do, then I suppose you just never again waste time reading it.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Agreed.

Here's the one line of many that got me:
    "But Lord, I don't think she even believes in you."

God smiles. "No matter. I can fix that.

So by giving someone a kid with diabetes it will make them believe in God??
    I'm sorry, but if anything, it made me question God.

Ahh well. It's from Erma Bombeck. A humorist not a theologian. If it moves one to tears, that's fine. Now, "Welcome to Holland" that I love and can totally relate to that! And i have to say, I like the one with the Vegas twist!

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Erma Bombeck didn't even write it about parents of kids with diabetes anyway. Best I can tell, it was originally written for parents of "handicapped" children, and co-opted by parents of kids with D.

Everyone has their own cross to bear. I'm pretty sure God didn't choose to inflict D on my son because his mom is uniquely prepared to handle it. :rolleyes:

7. Mish

Mish Approved members

I've been finding some funny responses to "Welcome to Holland" - like "welcome to Beiruit" or the one where you don't actually get to the leave the airport in Amsterdam, and it's many many years before you can actually enjoy holland. Or the one where you decide "screw it, I'm going to Italy anyway. Why CAN'T my kid go to italy?"

I had no idea there were so many. That's why I like Joy's version so much too. It's a little more realistic.

8. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

It am noticing that the things researchers are looking at that may cause Type 1 are man-made, not God-made (BPA's, things that affect gut-flora, not enough Vitamin D, etc)

I do not think God has anything to do with the physical. How many references are there in the Bible to "God is Love."

I think our souls choose this experience for our spiritual evolution. God loves and strengthens us through it as we grow. For me, the spiritual gem in that piece is: "If she cannot separate herself from the child occasionally, she will never survive." Loving detachment is sooo my lesson to learn here (especially now that DD's a teen).

Like Coeen above, I too, am an adoptive Mom and also believe DD and I are meant to be together. And how is this for "coincidence"?... After 10 1/2 years of trying everything medically possible to get pregnant and 2 miscarriages, the whole process from when we were approved for adoption to when we were chosen and DD was born took exactly 9 months. :D

9. Beach bum

Nah, he just went to Vegas and spun the ruolette wheel, your number came up:cool:

Why the heck does it always star out ruolette? I had to spell it wrong so that it wouldn't star it out! ******** ******** ********:D

10. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

God doesn't even like kids with D. He's cured cancer, cured blindness, even brought people back to life. But I've still yet to find an instance of him curing a T1D child ... despite the endless prayer circles out there. What's up with that?

11. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

******** - weird! I just had to try it for myself!

12. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

"roulette" was censored due to vast amounts of online gambling spam.

I've removed it from the censor.

13. Beach bum

Thanks because I often refer to diabetes as being like a game of roulette. Some days, you just don't know where the ball is going to land.

14. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

But the sinners have invented insulin. Still something :cwds:.

15. AnjiB

AnjiB New Member

Love this!

I absolutely Love this. It just melted my heart :'(.
    Thank you for sharing.

16. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Help me understand, I thought everything is "God-made" since God made people and if people make something it all traces back to God? For example, I have heard others say that God made people, who then became scientists, who then invented insulin, so therefor God is doing something good for our children.

Again, just trying to understand, so my daughter's soul choose to have diabetes to make her stronger? What about the children who die from diabetes? How does that help them be stronger?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  17. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

no, I can guarentee that my soul would have choosen to be born to some multibillionaire and have a golden spoon to eat off of.....:D

I dont believe God does much of nothing but sit and watch us from above. He gave us all free will. to make our own decisions good or bad.

I also only think souls have one go round, not a fan of the theory of rencarnation.

18. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Valerie, I think you will appreciate this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2d6od0pdbs

19. AnjiB

AnjiB New Member

Amazing!!!!

This is so Beautiful. Had me in tears..

20. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

I posted this almost 5 years ago, a few months after our daughter was diagnosed. I thought it was a nice little story.....I certainly didn't mean it to be a statement that I think God punishes our kids with horrible diseases, etc....those of you that are taking it literally, really? or do you just like to stir up hate and discontent?