- advertisement -

Moms Read: "How God Selects the Mother of a Diabetic Child" " (get a tissue)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Pauji5, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

How God Selects the Mother of a Diabetic Child
    By: Erma Bombeck​

Most women become mothers by accident, some by choice, a few by social pressures and a couple by habit. Did you ever wonder how mothers of diabetics are chosen? Somehow I visualize God hovering over Earth selecting his instruments for propagation with great care and deliberatioin. As he observes, he instructs his angels to make notes in a giant ledger.

"Armstrong, Beth, son. Patron Saint Matthew.

"Forrest, Marge, daughter, Patron Saint Cecilia.

Rutledge, Carrie, twins. Patron Sait Gerard. He's used to profanity.

Finally, He passes a name to an angel and smiles. "Give her a child with diabetes." The angel is curious. "Why this one God? She is so happy."

"Exactly," Smiles God. "Could I give a child with diabetes to a mother who does not know laughter? That would be cruel."

"But has she the patience?" asks the angel.

"I don't want her to have too much patience, or she will drown in a sea of self-pity and despair. Once the shock and resentment wear off, she'l; handle it. I watched her today. She has that feeling of self and indenpendence that is so rare and so necessary in a mother. You see, the child Ii amm gong to give her has her own world. She has to make it live in her world and that's not going to be easy.

"But Lord, I don't think she even believes in you."

God smiles. "No matter. I can fix that. This one is perfect She has just enough selfishness."

The angel gasps. "Selfishness? Is that a virtue?"

God nods. "If she cannot separate herself from the child occassionally, she will never survive. Yes, here is a woman whom I will bless with less than perfect."

"She does not realiziez it yet, but she is to be envied. I will permit her to see clearly the things I see.... ignorance, curelty, prejudice.....and allow her to rise above them. She will never be alone. I will be at her side every minute of every day of her life because she is doing my work as surely as if she is here by my side."

"And what about her patron saint?" asks the angel, his pen poised in midair.

God smiles. "A mirror will suffice."

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Beautiful...thanks for sharing that!

I can't find a darn Kleenex...oh, I do have some t-p...that'll do I guess;)

3. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

Reaching for the tissue...I love Erma Bombeck. I've read all her books. Thanks for sharing this.

4. MommyStress

MommyStress Approved members

this is the one letter I received in the Ronald Mc Donald house when my daughter was diagnosed with cancer .. i have it on a piece of paper all shriveled up and I Took it out once again when my son was Diagnosed with Diabetes..

I am selfish enough :)

*sometimes I wonder am I too selfish cause he keep throwing more at me!!!! :p*

5. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

I'm so glad to share it with people who understand......... I've read it many time and it STILL makes me cry!

6. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I can't believe I'm quoting myself :rolleyes: but just wanted to let you know I really liked your post...I was rereading my first post, and realized the 't-p' part could be misunderstood as me thinking it was 'sh**', which I truly don't.
    Ok, just wanted to clear things up.....hmmmm, that's it I guess.:D

7. Thoover

Thoover Approved members

WOW that was good.. Brought tears to my eyes.. Im printing that one off, may go in a frame..

8. realsweety

realsweety Approved members

I think that though it is deffinately a mother thing ,there are deffinately fathers who could deffinatly fit into this.(meanwhile I'm wiping my nose on my shirt becouse I don't have any tp or kleenex nearby)

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Did Erma Bombeck have a diabetic child? I'm just curious, because I didn't know that.

10. Gaia

Gaia Approved members

I love Erma Bombeck and remember reading this a long time ago. Thank you for posting it & giving me a little reminder of "Why" :cwds:

11. Mscrist

Mscrist New Member

This is really awsome!

12. Mish

Mish Approved members

Awesome is Joy's tongue and cheek ode to "Welcome to Holland"

The D Tour

(inspired by Emily Perl Kingsley’s Welcome to Holland)

I am often asked to describe the experience of raising a child with Type 1 Diabetes - to try to help people who have not shared that unique experience to understand it, to imagine how it would feel. It's like this......

When you're planning your family, it's like planning a fabulous vacation trip – to Aruba. You buy a bunch of guide books and make your wonderful plans. The soft sand beaches. Swimming in calm blue waters. It's all very exciting.

After months of eager anticipation, the day finally arrives. You pack your bags and off you go. Several hours later, the plane lands. The stewardess comes in and says, "Welcome to Las Vegas."
    "Vegas?!?" you say. "What do you mean Vegas?? I signed up for Aruba! I'm supposed to be in Aruba. All my life I've dreamed of going to Aruba." But there's been a change in the flight plan. They've landed in Vegas and there you must stay.

There’s very little sleep in Vegas. Things beep and flash and demand your attention all the time. It’s not relaxing like Aruba and though there is sand, it’s a completely different experience.

You may find yourself walking around disoriented. Everything feels like playing ********. “Hmm, what will the blood sugar be after eating this pizza? Spin the wheel and let’s find out.” Finding the right insulin dose is like playing blackjack. You try to get the magic number without going over. “Hit me, hit me, BUSTED”

But there are things to like about Vegas. There are salad bars, there are all you can eat buffets and you will even learn how to dose for them. Every day is a new experience and every day you can witness magic.

Meanwhile, most people you know have returned from Aruba... and they're all bragging about what a wonderful time they had there. And for the rest of your life, you will say "Yes, that's where I was supposed to go. That's what I had planned."

And the pain of that will never, ever, ever, ever go away... because the loss of that dream is a very, very significant loss.

But... if you spend your life mourning the fact that you didn't get to Aruba, you may never even notice that compared to life before insulin, you’ve won the jackpot.

Welcome to Vegas BABY!

13. TimO

TimO Approved members

How about Father? Sorry, but I've lived Type 1 and my son's future since dx 11/15/2004.

14. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

Love this! I can't believe I didn't realize these sweet little stories existed. Thank you so much for posting! After reading that, I'm pretty sure we are awesome....moms and dads ;)

15. swellman

swellman Approved members

Well, I guess I'm different because I found that to be the most perverse, upsetting and vile thought I've come across in quite some time and I regularly peruse the internet.

If your god is the type of god that gives children diabetes, for ANY reason, your god is a dick.

16. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Pity someone who has never, ever posted here before decided to bring this FIVE YEAR OLD post up from the crypt.

17. swellman

swellman Approved members

I didn't even notice ... what's up with that of late?

18. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Call me dense, but I don't even get it!

19. coeen

coeen Approved members

I cry every time I read this but it is sooo true.
    I sent it to my family of nine and they all agreed that I was the one for this child and he was for me ( and my husband) ;)
    We adopted him as a baby and knew that we could and would deal with whatever happens in life. Love him!!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  20. Lee

Lee Approved members

As much as this is an old thread, I have to agree with you. I honestly don't ever want to believe that the God I believe in would deliberately punish me through my child. It is even worse to think he is rewarding me through her.