- advertisement -

Moms of teens, pedi endo vs regular, when are you switching

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by nanhsot, Aug 25, 2011.

1. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

OK, so in my quest to find an MD I am faced with switching to an MD within the same practice (therefore maintaining the email support system I have from the CDEs, I use it regularly but not frequently, if that makes sense) vs finding someone totally new. I have the advantage of being straddled between two cities so my search is pretty broad but choices are extremely limited anyway!

I still feel as if I need someone to reach out to and bounce numbers off. I do have you guys, and definitely am factoring that in, but not sure I'm fully ready to let go of that service. (I email issues and usually hear back in the same day, email numbers, or Rx requests or just general worries)

I can switch to another Dr. in the same practice, and maintain that. The office hours for the one recommended aren't great though.

I found a pedi endo who does teens, but heard from a member here that she's not so great, so crossed that one off the list for the most part. I like that she does teens and young adults. I may call just to find out support, the MD really isn't as important to me as the team.

I can find a regular endo, not pedi. He's 17 so will likely remain on pedi service for a year, right?

I guess my question for parents of teens is when you plan on making that switch anyway? I'm >< this close to feeling ready to just have an MD who does quick checks and writes Rx for him, but also like the progressive nature of the pedi offices, most adult endos deal so much with Type 2 that I fear we'll lose our edge. Which is silly because I get my edge here...I'm talking in circles now. My head is in circles! :p

I actually know an adult endo (personally) and the drive isn't horrible, my biggest worry with her is what hospital we'd be forced to use....actually that's a worry with ANY adult endo at this age, could we still use the children's hospital and just not have OUR endo? Not that I plan on needing a hospital, but it's good to think this stuff through, right? I am very UNimpressed with how hospitals deal with diabetes.

Any thoughts, opinions, what are your plans for your teens as they age out?

2. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

Curious what others think too.

I hope my Ped Endo keeps kids on until 21. I think that the intense questioning and interest from the team will be good for him. Especially at the 17-21 years when they rebel alot and think the are invincible. I love my endo and will be sad when we have to leave. I know he will recommend an adult endo who he knows has alot of knowledge with type 1 because that is just how they work.

I think you have to make a few calls. I don't know if an adult endo will take a patient under 18. I would also personally check out the ped endo yourself to see how you feel about her. Everyone is different and the age of your child make a difference too as to what you expect and want from the endo as well.

Good luck, my kids are the same age and I feel you pain ;)

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I switched from ped to adult when I was 15, because at my hospital (UK) the pediatric D clinic doesn't do pumps, but the adult clinic does.. So they switched me to adult so I could get a pump. I was their youngest ever "adult" patient, generally people stay with peds until around age 21, I think.

4. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

Our endo said she treats up to age 18, then it would be time to switch. So if it were us, at 17 I would go ahead to an adult endo rather than have to change again in a year.

Good luck in your search, I hope you find a nicer, more supportive one :)

5. blbrocky

blbrocky Approved members

My son has/is transitioning to an Adult Endo. We talked to his Pedi Endo, who he could have stayed with until 21 years of age, and asked for recommendations for a good Type 1 Adult Endo. We saw the Adult Endo at the Children's Hospital twice and the next time he sees her will be at the new location.

6. 4MyBoys

4MyBoys Approved members

Our Endo sees kids until they are 21, but said they do not just drop kids at 21... If kids are in college or someplace that it would be difficult to establish a relationship with an adult endo, they keep them longer. -Allison

7. joan

joan Approved members

My son is going to college in a few days so I made an appt. with an adult endo near his school. His current endo will see him but I thought it was a good time to switch. He is going to a city with a hugh medical center so I was able to find an endo with good recommendations that only sees type1's. I will let you know how it works out.

8. Liongirl4

Liongirl4 Approved members

My daughter's pediatric endocrinologist (who is also her pediatrician) will see her up until 25!
    I think she will stay with him as long as she can..I had thought once she was 18 we would switch, but she is happy with him. Our only complaint is he is a bit behind the times maybe..IE still does venous blood draw for A1C, no uploading softwear, not familar with Aprida..but overall it works for us.

9. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

My daughter wants to transition to the Adult Clinic within our facility because she's tired of the long appointments.

10. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

That was the reason we changed at age 17 for both son and daughter. I wouldn't want to change for a year or so and then change again.

11. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

My son will be 19 in December. I expect we'll be scheduling one more appointment with the peds endo and then he'll start with the adult practice. It's good to have the peds endo see him through his first semester in college, IMO.

12. momof2greatkids

momof2greatkids Approved members

Our ped endo continues to see kids through their first year of college. They say heading off to school is a big enough change without finding a new doctor, too.

I'm thrilled with this. Hopefully, in the next eight years we'll get some good adult endos in the area. Right now, there's only one that I've really heard any good things about. Even though Paul has an endo, I wouldn't want Audrey going to her based on his description of the office and how his visits go.

13. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

Our group will follow Ab through college if that is what she wants, then help her transition to an adult endo. For you, is there a young adult type 1 support group that you can contact for advice? I know our regional ADA was getting a group formed last year to reach out to young adults.