- advertisement -

Mom's Anxiety

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by cm4kelly, May 18, 2011.

1. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

I had to take myself to the doctor this week with 150/100 blood pressure and 107 pulse with heart palpitations.

The doctor found nothing physically wrong with me and as I relaxed my symptoms started to ease up. The doctor diagnosed with me with ANXIETY and wanted to know what the stresses were in my life.

They feel the stresses of my type one son (4) is causing me to having all of these symptoms. I HAVE noticed that on the days he has a change in schedule that I get naseous and anxious, but it usually passes.

I have never been an anxious person. The doctor thought xanax wouldn't be a bad idea for me to take when I experience anxiety.

Any other moms out there want to weigh in?

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I had a panic attack phase. Also given a bottle of Xanax... probably took 3 :p Knowing that it was "just" stress helped me relax and it passed. There are zillions of meditative breathing exercises and other things you can to to calm yourself. Don't fret about it, it's really, really common.;)

3. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

good for you for getting help!!

xanax is a woooooooooooonderful drug.

4. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

I don't think I'm an anxious person, however, last week my daughter had standardized testing at school. Her number was going in to the 300s everyday and staying there. Then I got in to a major fight with the guidance counselor over Hana's 504 and standardized testing in her office. I was having rapid heart beat and palpitations too. Things have quieted down this week. Still having some rapid heart beat but not the palpitations.

5. MamaTuTu

MamaTuTu Approved members

I think many of us feel your pain! However do you think Xanax is really the answer? I say that only as caution not as judgement because if it is used and dosage is right it may work out OK but with drugs like Xanax they are meant for short time use. Xanax WILL RELAX you but it may over relax you. It is easy to take more than you realized. You may take one not feel that it has done the trick and take another and that may be too much... At that point you may take more and not even remember. Obviously Im not a fan of Xanax, I lost a dear friend who became so dependant on them that she lost her family and friends. I watched her become a babbling weirdo. She moved on to other pharmaceutical drugs and then street drugs and also found herself in rehab and finally arrested with her two daughters in the back seat. She was a beautiful girl her husband has an MBA and she is blessed with two beautiful girls but is so out of touch with reality that I felt it was not healthy for me to have myself or children around her after her arrest. I know this is an extreme case and Im sure your thinking that would never happen to yourself but you never know and its not worth the risk. With Xanax it will slow down your response and make you absent minded I don't think that is a good thing while dealing with your child and diabetes. I would look into alternative ways to help deal with your anxiety. Im right there with you tho sometimes I think I could just die from stress but a drug as powerful as Xanax is not an option for me. Remember Doctors make money by writing prescriptions. Feel better soon (((hugs)))

6. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Thank you for your advice

Thank you for all of your advice.

I certainly have never had anxiety issues before. It give me some things to think about.

7. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Weighing in a little late ... within a few weeks of DD's dx, I started experiencing what I'll call a heightened or excessive level of anxiety (I think some anxiety under the circumstances is to be expected) to the point where I felt like it was getting in the way of my functioning as effectively as I needed to.

I asked my family doctor for a prescription and he prescribed Xanax. I took half pils a couple of times. I found it effective and helped me through that initial period. I think knowing that I had the prescription and that it had helped me in the past actually helped me moving forward as well.

I did not experience any side effects. I no longer feel the need for it, but if I did, I would ask my doctor for another prescription.

My mom has an anxiety disorder and takes a prescription medication for it -- since she started taking it, she and her family have noted a marked improvement -- it's been a really positive thing in her life.

8. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Kelly:) Steven was diagnosed in 2004 at the age of 3. For the first 6-8 months I was running on adrenaline. I was constantly exhausted to the point where it was difficult to get out of bed most days. In 05 I began to have many strange symptoms, dizziness, weakness, fatigue, headaches and the worst at the time were the panic attacks. They would hit at night mostly. I felt as if I couldnt breathe and that I was dying:( I ended up in the ER 3 times in the next 2 years. Every time I went there or to my doctor no one could find anything wrong. I slowly started to feel better as Steven got older and I became more comfortable with his diabetes and how to manage it.

Its not normal to have to know how to do all these things all of a sudden. We go along with our comfy lives when POW:eek: our kid has a chronic, incurable condition that really is difficult at first to learn about and manage.

Some things that have helped me over the years is to make sure I get enough rest, make time for myself (thats a biggy) Let others do some of the diabetes chores even if its just to test or give a shot sometimes. And above all, relax and realize that your child is going to be ok:cwds: Definitely have the Xanax on hand if you have a panic attack. Just having them has helped me to avoid many attacks along with just breathing properly

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

You are not alone here. I went through it, ended up in the ER thinking I was having heart problems, turned out it was a panic attack. I was put on anti-anxiety meds. I also started seeing a counselor to talk things through. She was great because she dealt with families with chronic conditions.

Once I got on the meds and was talking with her, things turned around. I was able to effectively care for my family again. I went for quiet some time on the meds, but then came off of them. It helped get me through a really rough patch.

So, you definitely are not alone!

10. ShelbysMom

ShelbysMom Approved members

I've been there as well. Been to the ER a few times with what I thought were heart problems, but it was really anxiety. Started with Xanax but wasn't real comfortable with the effect it had on me......I would just be zapped after taking one pill. Eventually got on Lexapro which helped tremendously. I don't take it now (although I probably should), but I took it for about a year and it really made a difference.

Another thing I would do that Did Not help was check my blood pressure too often. Not suggesting that's what you do, but I would actually send my bp higher worrying about what it was going to be! Doctor finally told me to quit checking!!

Some things that help me is going a little easier on the coffee.....distracting myself with TV when I feel a panic attack coming on, exercise to get rid of that pinned up energy, and then learning how to talk myself through it if distractions didn't work.
    Initially I would say to myself OMG you're having a heart attack and things would obviously get worse. Now, if I feel something coming on, I sit down and say to myself "this is just a panic attack and its going to pass". Then I just focus on breathing and relaxing. But the number one thing that helped was having someone there to just sit with me for a minute. My poor father never knew when he would get a call ......but he has them too so he understood.
    I've had less and less of these over the years, but I'm certain it was stress along with horomones. What's strange is all of this occurred mostly before daughters DX, but I was at home by myself with 3 small children. I was pretty stressed:)

Good luck and you will get through it.

11. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

My blood pressure and pulse very recently were almost identical to yours. Mine was 140/110 and 108. This was after I collapsed. Xanax I wouldn't touch if you paid me, but thats because I took it once years ago and it knocked me on my butt. I'm sensitive to some meds, while having a very strong tolerance to others. :rolleyes:

12. IsaacsMommy

IsaacsMommy New Member

Not anxiety but Emotioal Breakdowns

I am not having anxiety attacks at least NOT YET but i get very emotional when my sons levels remain in the 300's and the on random times we are okay in the 100's but its a rollercoaster of a ride!!! I thought i was the only mom that felt out of control and I feel like a bad mom, I am 5 months pregnant andmy cravings are not helping my sons diabetes soo frustrated and he is soon to start Kindergarden ANY ADVICE, POINTERS ON HOW TO GO ABOUT THIS HUGE SCARY CHANGE?
    ERIKA

13. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Disrupted sleep doesn't help matters either and can mess with your overall health (including blood pressure, ability to handle stress, weight gain...). I'm right there with you (and I'm a pretty calm and optimistic person). It just all kind of piles on and everyone once in a while it's overwhelming.