advertisement

MODY 3 medications

Discussion in 'MODY' started by Elizabeth314, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Elizabeth314

Elizabeth314 New Member

I was misdiagnosed as a type 1 diabetic when I was 12. A year later my doctor was doing research in the MODY field and encouraged me to be tested. I got the expensive genetic testing done, and it came back that I had MODY 3 diabetes. I was immediately taken off insulin shots and given oral medications. Over the last 6 years I have taken 3 different types of drugs, each producing some sort of negative side effect- either low blood sugars, diarrhea, continued high A1C levels, weight gain, etc. I'm 19 now and in college, away from my parents and doctor. I?m frustrated that my blood sugars are still high and will probably have to start a new medication again. I have been on Glipizide and Metformin, but can't remember the one I took when I was 13. I have researched the use of Insulin in MODY patients and couldn't find out much. My doctors would rather have me on oral medication than going back to injections. But I'm tired of trying something new, and I felt more in control when I was taking Insulin. If you have any suggestions or personal experience I would love to hear from you.
    Thanks,
    Elizabeth

2. ChristineJ

ChristineJ Approved members

Hi, Elizabeth, and welcome! Although some people with MODY 3 are able to get good control with oral meds, others find they need insulin. Everyone is an individual, with their own physiology, needs, and preferences. I would encourage you to continue to advocate for yourself and ask for the treatment plan that you feel works best for you.

If you're interested, we have a MODY group on Facebook. Some of the members have MODY 3 like you, including another teenage girl who recently got genetic confirmation. You'll find the link to the group in a thread here titled "MODY group on Facebook". :)

Christine