- advertisement -

MM users, if you had to pick today would you do Guardian or Minilink?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bisous, Jan 31, 2010.

1. bisous

bisous Approved members

All these recent threads about the convenience of having a separate monitor from the pump made me wonder if I shouldn't get the guardian instead of the minilink?? I'm still waiting for insurance approval for either but I'm starting to think separate may be better!

DS is six years old but still does very little D management on his own. Does it matter to you the age of the child?

Also, while we use MM522 right now, I'm very tempted by many of the features of the Ping. How much would this factor into your choice?

TIA,

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Well, I'd go with the guardian because you get the seperate unit and you can use it either way.. have it just signal to his pump when you don't need that seperate unit, or have it go just to the guardian, or you can do both. We used the minilink for 2.5 years.. we started the guardian two weeks ago when our insurance decided they'd finally cover it.. I love the guardian, but also like the fact that KAYLEE doesn't have to wear the seperate device.. *I* carry it. :) You get the best of both worlds.

and while the ping has some great features and is very temping. MM always wins for us.. Kaylee's warrenty is up in the beginning of June, we'll go w/ MM again.. hopefully their 523/723 will be out. It will have smaller basal and bolus capabilities (the same that animas has). They also have a remote, which isn't nearly as nice as Animas' but its still a remote and they also have the link meter. The new MM will also have the same alarm features that the guardian unit has.. the predictor high/low as well as fall and rise rates, low and high bg etc..

3. bisous

bisous Approved members

OOh! That sounds perfect then!! I didn't realize that it did both!

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yep, if I had to do it again, I'd get the Guardian. I'm still going to see if I can slip it through insurance. It's the best of both worlds - when I'm not around him, it reads to his pump and he doesn't have to carry a seperate unit. When I'm around, it can read to both.

The only feature of the Ping that tempts me is the remote bolusing, but the extra button pushing and the One Touch meter negates that for us. Plus, it's my understanding that your child has to stay near the remote until the bolus completes. Right now, we dose (fast, because of the bolus wizard which requires about half the button pushes of the Ping) and he goes. The MM menus are just better designed, in my opinion. We'll get the remote bolusing when MM comes out with their patch pump.

5. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I'm not a MM user but I think if we CGM we're going to go guardian with the MM pump for just the reasons everyone said. I will hate to give up our cozmo but I think it's time.

6. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

We trialed with the guardian (we have a MM722) and I wish we would have sprung for the guardian unit when we bought our cgms system. It was really nice to have.