- advertisement -

MM transmitter/sensor experiment

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MReinhardt, May 19, 2009.

1. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

Chell has two MM transmitters. They will be labeled transmitter #1 and 2# for this post. I know Chell usually can't get past 5 days of a sensor, and I hate the 2 hour warm up time for Chell.

Transmitter #1/ sensor used for 5 days, with some major off readings at the start of this sensor, now just minor off readings. Time left of sensor was less than 10 hours, before sensor ended. I left this running.

Transmitter #2 charged

New sensor put it (old one is still hooked up and running) Transmitter #2 hooked up, and waited for blinking lights. (of course not turned on) I left this hooked up for at least 3 hours to get nice and wet.

I knew Chell was stable as much as can be, I put in the transmitter #2 ID into the pump. Then I went and hit new sensor, and immediatly it asked for a calibration.

As soon as we put in Chell's blood sugars, we pulled Transmitter #1 and sensor.

Reading from transmitter #2 doing well.

I think all together we lost maybe 15 minutes of data not 2+ hours of data.

I have had this thought for awhile, but I wanted to think it out first, and then do before I posted this.

2. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

We always do it this way, i hate warm up i will also let new sensor wet overnight and start in morning. I find we get one or no error messages this way

3. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Wow.. that's a great idea!

We also insert the 2nd sensor a few hours before, but when putting the new transmitter on, the ISIG changes a lot so we have to still wait the 2 hours. But with what you described, the new tx would be stable before the switchover, so the switchover could be seamless. It makes sense. Good work!

4. MReinhardt

I know i was excited when it worked. I was doubting my self, but then what the heck, if the transmitter needs that two hour connect time, why would it not work?

5. Rachel

Rachel Approved members

Brilliant!!!

6. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Great idea. Thanks for sharing!
    Was your second transmittor covered by insurance, or did you have to pay out of pocket for it?

7. MReinhardt

Well since Chell has had the MM for almost 1.5 years, after a 11 months I went back and ask MM to get another approval on the transmitter, as Chells insurance takes forever for approval. It took MM legal team and Chell's insurance 4 months to figure it all out. I asked so soon, because I know it takes forever for approval.

8. bkfkmc

bkfkmc Approved members

We did this several times last summer. It does make it nice to never be without numbers. We were having some issues so I stopped changing them back and forth just so I could take one variable out of the equation. I really should pull out the old transmitter and start doing that again. Glad it is working well for you.