- advertisement -

MM transmitter (new type)

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by frizzyrazzy, Jan 30, 2011.

1. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Ok, we're on day 7 of a very great and accurate sensor which Ian decided he had no problem keeping in place. So, initially I was going to disconnect the transmitter adn charge it but I just happened to read in the instruction manual that it says "a fully charged transmitter battery will work more than 14 days without recharging"

?? really? I thought it was only 7?

2. snail_on_wheels

snail_on_wheels Approved members

As far as I know, old ones work for 7 days, new ones 14. So you don`t have to charge yours, just disconnect and reconnect.

But I have noticed that if I forget to do the disconnection before the 7 day mark passes and get weak signal, then simple reconnecting doesn`t work, transmitter`s green light doesn`t start blinking. I have to plug it to charger for a minute and then attach to the sensor.

3. frizzyrazzy

ok ....so it's still programmed to die on day 7? that's what I was confused about I guess (we've never gone this long)... I was thinking the charging of the transmitter was because of the the day 7 situation .

So we're actually talking about two different things right? The transmitter is programmed to only recognize the sensor up to day 7 which is why I need to just unplug/replug the transmitter, but it really has nothing to do with the length that the transmitter will last, which is 14 days.

Am I understanding that now?

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I think that is correct. Plugging the transmitter into the charger "resets" it, which is separate from the transmitter's battery life, which I think has always been in the neighborhood of 14 days.

5. frizzyrazzy

ok, so what i did was simply unhook...remove tape....and plugged the transmitter back into the sensor without recharging the transmitter. Then I started a new sensor. Now we're in 2 hour warm up as normal.

6. Diana

Diana Approved members

Michelle -

I don't even untape when I do this. I just pull apart the transmitter and sensor enough to disrupt the connection. I have had the same experience as Piret though. If I wait until I start getting weak signal on day 7, then I have to disconnect and put the transmitter on the charger (and then, at least for us, the sensor is definitely going to die the next day. I must not be good at untaping :) I also don't get much practice - we rarely get that far)

Diana

7. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We got ours in October and it only hold a charge for 7 days.

8. frizzyrazzy

well, we're on day 8 and we're still chugging.

I did end up fully untaping only because the tape was falling off already anyway - so we untaped without disturbing the sensor itself, held it apart for a minute or so then hooked it back up and started new.

So far no trouble. Still reading accurately.

9. Yellow Tulip

Yellow Tulip Approved members

We're new to cgm, on our first sensor, which is working great! We're getting very accurate readings and just overall it's great. I restarted it on day 3 and today is day 6. It told me Sensor End, and I just did Sensor/Link to sensor/New sensor... I didn't take the transmitter off or anything. It's giving us readings as normal. The status screen says that transmitter battery is good... Do I have to take it off or can I just keep it on? I was planning on pulling the sensor tomorrow, regardless of the accuracy. Or can I keep it longer if it's working well?

Thanks!

10. khannen

khannen Approved members

I'm far from an expert as we're only on our second week. Lol! however....
    I restarted at the end of day 6 and things worked fine for another 24 hours or so. Then I got weak signal and lost sensor alarms. I wasn't sure if it was because I hit 7 days or what. I put a new sensor on after recharging the transmitter and we were back on track. Is that how it usually works for most people? I just got this system so I would assume I have the 'new' version.

11. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yep. That is exactly what happens at day 7. :)

12. Yellow Tulip

Yellow Tulip Approved members

OK, that's what's happening for us too. It still shows numbers but they're totally off. Thanks for the tip, at least I knew to expect that!

13. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

This is useful if you are on day 7 and don't ahve the charger with you. And yes it's weird that the battery is on a 7 day cycle but the sensor is on a 3 day cycle. I guess when the sensors get approved to last 7 days they can reprogam the receivers without having to change the transmitters?