- advertisement -

MM Revel...Battery Life

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Beach bum, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We are using the Energizer AAA. Put in a new battery 2 weeks ago and it's already down 2 bars. What kind of life do most users get? How long before the alarm goes off?

2. Mish

Mish Approved members

I've never really timed it, but it seems that the first bars go quickly, but the 2nd half discharges more slowly. So, maybe every month? I just buy a large package at BJs when they're on sale and we're good to go. But ....only use the energizer AAA. I'm not sure why, but every time we've tried to use another battery it goes wonky on us, and it's the battery MM recommends. Who knows.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Thanks. Yes, the trainer said that it doesn't play well with other brands...kind of like Animas and the lithiums.

4. mwstock

mwstock Approved members

My son has the Medtronic 530G pump. We also use the Energizer AAA batteries. They last about a month. If we use the sensor or the light on the pump, the batteries seem to wear down quicker. I kind of like the fact the batteries can be changed out and do not require charging. The batteries on the T-Slim pump require recharging, but I suppose the lithium batteries hold a charge longer?

5. Zivile

Zivile Approved members

We also use Enlite sensor so battery lasts just about one week - I guess just because of more frequent light use to see sensor data at night and also maybe pump uses more battery for data transfer? Energizer or Duracell only - depends wich brand is on sale :)

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

One week?! Something is wrong with your pump. We also used the sensor with our Revel, and easily got 6 weeks out of a battery.

We only used Energizer batteries.

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I tend to buy Duracell batteries and I think DD gets 2 months out of them.

8. Zivile

Zivile Approved members

Maybe there is some differences between Revel and Paradigm? Because I was said it will last for a month. And I never wait until warning, so I guess it might go for 10 days maybe.... One mom told me that if you change batteries prior warning "low battery" pump could "live" more than 4 years, otherwise it will use inseide battery and will shut down after warranty term. Don't know if it is true, but as far as in our country we buy pumps out of pocket it is worth a try. Batteries are cheaper than pump :)

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We've used both the Revel and the Paradigm with the sensor, and one week per battery is nuts, seriously. I admit that we always did run it down until we got the low battery warning - it can go easily for a couple of weeks or more on one bar. But still, I would call Medtronic, because you should be getting way more than one week. Especially since you pay out of pocket, I'd want them to replace it under warranty, and this is definitely an issue.

As for changing the battery prior to the low battery warning, that sounds like a myth to me. The only time it would use its internal battery is when the external battery dies completely. You have 24 hours to replace the battery once you get the low battery alarm, so plenty of time before that happens.

10. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

Right before we switched to the tslim Kayla was only getting one week on her Revel too regardless of battery brand and it was out of warranty. I was so glad on so many levels to get over to that tslim.

11. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

We got about 3 weeks per battery while using the CGM and the pump. Now that we are just using the pump, we typically get 4-6 weeks. I was religious about only using Energizer batteries for a while after bad experiences with Duracell and Ikea batteries, but the last few times we have put Ikea batteries in with no ill effects or shortened lifespan. Using the light really seems to make a difference--times when I am struggling with night-time highs seem to be the same times that the battery drains faster!